LTR-High Peak Trango 65 Pack-Don Taylor

  • Don Taylor
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2011
      Chris,

      I look forward to your comments and edits. Thanks-Don

      http://tinyurl.com/43f9lz8 <http://tinyurl.com/43f9lz8>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      This spring has been a total rain-out here in Ohio and Western
      Pennsylvania so I have not had the chance to hike as often as I would
      normally would. I was only able to get out for two long weekend trips
      with the pack. The first trip was to Zaleski State Forest in Southern
      Ohio. The trail conditions were terrible as it rained nearly the entire
      time we were in the woods. The second trip was taken to an equally
      muddy area along the Tracy Ridge trail in the Allegheny National Forest.
      Between the two trips I was able to hike about 40 long, muddy and wet
      miles (64 km). In both cases my pre-rain soaked pack weight was around
      30 lbs (14 kg).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The biggest tests the pack was put through during my two recent trips
      were staying secure on my back as I was slipping and sliding down the
      trail and keeping the contents somewhat dry during the endless rain. In
      both cases the pack did better than I expected. The adjustments on the
      pack allowed me to fit it very securely and comfortably on my back. In
      addition, even though I had forgotten a rain cover for the pack on one
      of the trips, the pack did a fairly good job of keeping the contents
      dry.

      Once the pack was fully loaded and on my back, it was a quick process to
      get it secured in place. The adjustments were easy to operate and the
      pack was very comfortable to hike with. As for durability, the pack was
      put through some muddy and rough conditions such as a few scrapes and
      falls and it has held up great so far. I have not noticed any rips and
      all of the seams still seem secure. The pack was easily cleaned with a
      little soap and a wet rag when I got home from the trips.

      All of the zippers and drawstrings worked great. The zippers are large
      enough to grab easily with cold, wet hands and the drawstring on the
      bottom of the main compartment proved to be very handy for accessing
      items that I would have otherwise had to dig down from the top to
      retrieve. I have had packs in the past where the zippers always seemed
      to get hung up in the zipper flap material however I did not have that
      problem with this pack so far.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Waist Belt
      Straps">>The side pockets where I normally store my water bottles could
      have been a little more secure. A few times when I set the pack down or
      stumbled on the trail one of the bottles would fall out.

      The interior pocket that holds my 3 L (101 oz) hydration bladder worked
      out very well. The bladder stayed in place and the slot for the bite
      tube to pass through did not cause any issues.

      Both the shoulder straps and waist belt proved to be comfortable. I
      initially had concerns that the narrowness of the waist belt straps
      would cause some irritation however that was not the case. One issue
      that I will fix after the completion of the test is the length of the
      waist belt straps. I have a 35 inch (89 cm) waist and when I cinch the
      waist belt down, the straps hang down below my knees. One addition I
      would really appreciate is a small pocket on the waist belt of the pack.
      I have had them in the past and I really noticed not having one. The
      shoulder straps stayed in position and other than the normal shoulder
      soreness that I feel in the mornings, the straps felt good.

      My biggest complaint to this point is about the chest strap. It is fine
      while I am wearing it however the male end of the clip fell off a few
      times when the pack was off. It is easy enough to put back on but it
      could get lost in the woods very easily.

      SUMMARY

      Overall I am very happy with the pack so far. It is very sturdy for how
      light it is and I don't feel like any comfort was sacrificed with the
      lower weight. It held my 30 lbs (14 kg) of gear very well and the
      compression straps worked great to keep the contents from bouncing
      around. The chest strap clip falling off may prove to be a problem if
      it comes off in the wrong spot and is lost. All in all I am looking
      forward to wearing this pack for my upcoming summer trips.

      Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.

    • Don Taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2011
        Looking forward to your comments and edits.-Don

        http://tinyurl.com/43f9lz8 <http://tinyurl.com/43f9lz8>

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR-High%20Peak%20Tra\
        ngo%2065%20Pack-Don%20Taylor/
        <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR-High%20Peak%20Tr\
        ango%2065%20Pack-Don%20Taylor/>

        LONG-TERM REPORT

        LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

        For the final stage of the testing period I was able to take the pack on
        a 45 mile trip on the North Country Trail through the Allegheny National
        Forest. The conditions were very hot and muggy with afternoon
        thunderstorms. My pack weight was around 35 lbs (16 kg) which is
        heavier than normal due to the amount of water I was carrying. The
        trail conditions were good with stable ground and only a few long
        ascents. In a few spots I walked through some thick undergrowth but for
        the most part I was hiking on clear trail.

        PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

        The pack continued to perform great. Even with the additional weight
        from the extra water I was carrying the pack remained stable and
        comfortable. My concerns about the waist belt digging in and causing
        irritation were again unfounded. My only complaint about the waist belt
        continues to be the length of the straps which I plan on modifying after
        the test. As for my shoulders and hips, I can report that other than
        the standard soreness that comes with waking up in the morning after a
        long day on the trail, there was no irritation.

        On this last hike I would say the biggest test for the pack was how well
        it ventilated against my back during the hot, steamy days. Despite the
        conditions the pack did well at keeping my back reasonably cool during
        the morning hours, but as the day went on and the temperature reached
        into the high 80's F (30's C) it was a lost cause. However I can say
        that the pack performed as well as other far more expensive ones that I
        have worn during summer hikes.

        During the four days we spent in the woods on this trip, I did not
        experience any further problems with the chest strap clip coming
        disconnected from the nylon strap as I did previously. I paid special
        attention to how I handled the pack when it was not on my back to ensure
        it didn't come off and get lost.

        My issues with my 1 L (34 oz) water bottles falling out of the side
        pockets is still a problem. Bending over, slipping and putting the pack
        on can easily cause the bottles to tumble out. I have not lost any of
        them yet but I have to remember to check them often. Tighter elastic on
        the top of the pockets should take care of the problem.

        After 90 or so miles of hiking with the pack I can report that it has
        held up extremely well. All of the seams have held and the zippers
        continue to function without issue. With some simple water washing, the
        pack cleans up like new. I cannot find any major issues with the main
        fabric of the pack and the bottom barely shows any wear at all.

        SUMMARY

        Overall I am extremely pleased with the High Peak Trango 65. It has
        proved to be a pack that combines the qualities of being lightweight and
        durable. It has ample storage room to hold plenty of gear on my 4 and 5
        day hikes and the compression does a great job of keeping everything in
        place. The back pad, shoulder straps and waist belt all provide a
        comfortable fit.

        As for improvements, I would like to see the chest strap clip secured to
        the nylon strap better, waist belt straps shortened and the elastic on
        the side pockets tightened to provide a more secure fit around commonly
        used water bottles.

        I have really enjoyed the pack to this point and I look forward to using
        it in the future for my multi-day hiking trips.

        Thank you to High Peak and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to
        test this pack.

        Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.

      • thebootfitters
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2011
          Don,

          Thanks for the well-written review. SInce I couldn't find much to pick on, I pointed out a few simple comma edits. Feel free to take them or leave them as you please.

          Once you have addressed these items to your satisfaction, feel free to upload at will. If you make any additions and want a second review, just let me know.

          Cheers,

          Christopher

          Edit:
          > For the final stage of the testing period I was able to take the pack on a 45 mile trip on the North Country Trail through the Allegheny National Forest.
          ---You may wish to add the number of days and/or nights you were out to give the reader something to relate to. (Was it a fast push in two days? Or did you take it easy over a full week?)

          Oops... I just noticed now that you mention "four days" later in the report. Still may be worth adding into the first paragraph too. Your call.

          Edit:
          > However I can say that the pack performed as well as...
          ---Nitpicky comma edit. Should be one after however.

          Edit:
          > I have not lost any of them yet but I have to remember to check them often.
          ---Another one. Should be a comma between yet and but, since this is a compound sentence.

          Edit:
          > I cannot find any major issues with the main fabric of the pack and the bottom barely...
          ---And one more. Another compound sentence here. Should be a comma between pack & and.
        • Don Taylor
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 12, 2011
            Christopher,

            Thanks for all of your work on this test. I have made the edits, uploaded the new file and deleted the old stuff.

            Don