LTR - Sea to Summit Big River Dry Bag

  • vicioushillbilly
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2011
      Please find my LTR below. Thanks in advance for your edits. Sometimes, if I've used it the very same way in the LTR period, I feel like I'm just repeating myself. Nothing different happened except there was no rain on the camping trip. Anyway, the url is: http://tinyurl.com/3wtqyjx

      Dawn

      Long Term Report

      Field Conditions
      I have used this bag on several bike trips to work and back, one when it was raining. I have used it on three camping trips. Two camping trips were in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina at the Myrtle Beach State Park and the third was on private land near Myrtle Beach. On two trips the weather was clear and mild, mid-70s (24 C) during the day and mid 50s F (13 C) at night. I kayaked with it twice in clear weather.

      Observations
      I still like how tough this bag is. It is really durable and I'm not afraid that I might puncture it when I shove it behind the seat in my kayak, when I stuff it in my panniers, or when I shove it in my backpack.

      I really like the lash loops on the side, which makes the bag so much more versatile than one that I can tie only with the closure loop. You can see in the picture of it bungeed to my kayak that the loops are wide enough for a medium bungee to go through. Rope works just as well.

      lash loop

      My main complaint is the size. For kayaking it is too small for the main bag, but too big for a small bag. I used it either as a day bag for short trips or as cooking/equipment bag for longer trips. For backpacking, it was too small for an equipment bag, but too big for a food bag. Car camping in rainy weather the bag seemed to work well as an extra bag for clothes.

      It really helped on a downpour day on my bike. I had two drybags, this one and another that I had previously tested. This one worked great, the other leaked and ruined all my stuff. Unfortunately, I used this bag for my work clothes and the other for my cell, camera, wallet, etc. This bag kept my work clothes nice and dry.

      This test period, it really never rained when I camped, but I used the bag anyway. It still works well for a weight on the rainfly of my hammock.

      Summary
      I really like this bag as an extra dry bag for my kayak trips or as my main bag for shorter kayak trips. It is very durable and the lash loops on the sides make it versatile. I also like it for camping with my hammock to use as a weight for the rain fly. As well, I think this might become useful when I travel (overseas especially) because it is so durable and waterproof. I think I will be using this bag for quite awhile.

      What I liked
      The lash loops on the side make tying it very easy.
      It seems very durable.

      What I didn't like
      The size is not as usable as I would like, too small to kayak camp with and almost too big to backpack with.

      This concludes my long term report. Many thanks to Sea to Summit and BackpackGearTest.org for providing the Big River Dry Bag for testing.
    • jerry adams
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2011
        Upload when edits are done and delete from test folder.

        Looks good, I have only one comment

        Could you put the total number of nights of camping/kayacking during the Field
        Report/Long Term Report period?

        Thanks