IR: FITS Light Runner Socks - Jamie D

  • Jamie D.
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2011
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20FITS%20Light%20Runner%20Socks%20-%20Jamie%20D/

      LIGHT RUNNER LOW-CUT SOCK
      By
      FITS Sock Co.
      (Picture)
      Reviewed by Jamie DeBenedetto
      May 30th, 2011

      Report Contents

      INITIAL REPORT
      May 30th, 2011

      Reviewer's Information
      Product Information & Description
      Arrival Condition & First Impressions

      --------------------- Initial Report -----------------------
      --------------------- May 30th, 2011 ----------------------

      Reviewer's Information

      Jamie J. DeBenedetto
      Female, 38 years old
      Height: 5'11" (180 cm)
      Weight: 160 lb (73 kg)
      Shoe Size: Women's 11.5 (UK 9.5, EUR 44, JN 28)
      Email: jdeben(at)hotmail.com
      Personal Website: www.MyDog8AZ.com
      Location: Phoenix, Arizona - The Grand Canyon State

      Background/Experience
      I began backpacking twenty-four years ago after a childhood loaded with all sorts of outdoor adventures. At present I work as a hike leader so I'm trekking in some capacity about sixteen times a month. Most outings are day hikes but I take an occasional overnighter with my family here and there too.
      When backpacking, I typically sleep in a hammock and I gravitate toward multifunctional gear that enhances my comfort level with a minimal weight trade-off. My total pack weight year round is rarely above 25 lbs (11 kg) for outings of two to three days.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer URL www.fitssock.com
      Year of Manufacture Presumed 2011
      Made in USA
      MSRP $15.99 (US dollars)
      Color Options Lt. Grey, Natural & Black (I have a Lt. Grey pair)
      Care Instructions Machine washable and dryable; No bleaching or ironing
      Warranty 100% Fit Guarantee within 30 days
      (Listed Specifications - Taken from the manufacturer's included brochure or garment packaging)
      Size Large (women's 10-12, men's 8.5-10.5)
      Weight Not given
      Fabric The packaging has: 73% Merino Wool, 21% Nylon, 4% Polyester, 2% Lycra Spandex
      The brochure has: 65% Merino Wool, 27% Nylon, 6% Polyester, 2% Lycra Spandex
      (Observations as Received by this Tester)
      Weight (taken with a digital office scale) 1.6 oz (46 g) for the pair

      Product Description

      The Fits Light Runner Low-Cut Socks are as the name so correctly describes a pair of lightweight, ankle socks. They are made with a mix of natural and man-made fibers with wool representing the primary material. The most striking feature is the deep heel well. The heel, the toe box and the ball of the sock appear to the have the most padding.

      Arrival Condition and Informational Material

      The single pair of Light Runner Low Cut socks I received from Fits Sock Co. arrived on May 13th in perfect condition. Both socks were clearly new and in what I'm assuming is their normal storefront packaging. In addition to the sales packaging, the manufacturer sent a booklet containing info sheets on each of the different styles they sell. This was a nice addition since the Light Runners are not listed on their website yet, having said that, the average person won't be receiving the extra brochures so I'll reserve my comments for the information listed on the garment's actual packaging.

      Other than the typical product and company name, contact particulars, and guarantee, Fits also included a little graphic of what the Light Runner Low Cut's look like so a prospective buyer can see just how low, low-cut is. They also have what they call, "The FIT Finder" which lists the various sizes offered in both men and women's sizes. The actual size of the socks in the package is plainly labeled on the front in bold black lettering over a background of green. The country of origin was also clearly found on the front. This was refreshing since some companies appear to go out of their way to hide that little detail. One thing sadly omitted from the informational material was any indication of the weight of the Light Runners. Fits mentions how lightweight these socks are several times in their brochure, naturally I assumed given that sales angle they would have likely listed it on the package somewhere.

      Expectations and First Impressions

      When applying for this test series I didn't know what style socks the manufacturer was sending, only that they would be a wool blend. Given that, I didn't really have any expectations beyond what I always have when trying new socks: that they'll fit comfortably and keep my feet dry and subsequently blister free. I normally wear socks made with a mostly cotton blend, which I know is considered by most to be a hiking sin but I've had very good results with this formula for years so I've been reluctant to change. The exception to this is when I do water activities like kayaking, creek hiking, fishing, etc. On those occasions I usually choose a wool blend sock worn with sandals. I am expecting to use the Light Runners in this capacity also.

      As to my first impressions, I have to admit, I thought I'd received the wrong size. As my picture shows, the socks looked awfully small when I took them out of the package. (My trail runners are at least 4 inches (10 cm) longer than that Nalgene bottle.) A bigger concern was that they were my size but were going to be incredibly restrictive. Apparently 2% Lycra Spandex is enough because despite my misgivings the socks fit fine so far.

      Another very curious characteristic I noticed right off was the very well defined heel pocket. This is unique compared to all other hiking socks I've tried over the years. I wasn't sure what to expect from this feature, not knowing whether or not it would take some getting used to. Fortunately, it doesn't feel strange at all; in fact this design makes me feel like the socks fits more securely. Of course the real test on how well this holds up will come after several hours of wear inside my trail runners and perhaps a water test or two.

      Finally, I have to give props to Fits Sock Co. for proudly making these socks in the USA. It's so rare to find products of any kind made here these days. I find it incredibly uplifting when I find companies supporting the USA by keeping their manufacturing stateside.

      Thanks for reading, please check back in approximately two months for my Field Report.
      - Jamie J. DeBenedetto 2011
    • Bob Sanders
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2011
        Hi Jamie,

        Report looks good. HTML is fine and all the links work.

        Just one comment, your call. Upload at will

        See you in a couple of months.

        All the best,
        Bob

        > Fabric The packaging has: 73% Merino Wool, 21% Nylon, 4% Polyester, 2% Lycra Spandex
        > The brochure has: 65% Merino Wool, 27% Nylon, 6% Polyester, 2% Lycra Spandex

        Comment: I know what you are trying to say here but the way it reads is that the packaging is made of wool. I wonder if it would be clearer if we just changed "has" to "says"

      • Jamie D.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
          Thanks Bob. I see what you mean about the "has" vs. "says" thing. I changed it. Uploading in a second.

          Jamie D