A cocoon is waiting for you...

  • Dennis Shubitowski
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1 9:11 AM
      BackpackGearTest.org, in conjunction with Snugpak USA, is pleased to
      announce we will be testing their Softie Chrysalis Micro Sleeping Bag!
      At present moment, I am awaiting word of whether it is the full or half
      zip version, but otherwise the specs are the same for each bag:

      Extremely Lightweight
      Chrysalis Baffle system
      Micro Small Pack size
      Variable length system
      Unique rolling system
      Chisel foot
      Profiled Weight - 28 oz
      Pack size: 6" x 6 " uncompressed
      Comfort Temperature at 41 F Low Temperature at 32 F

      We have previously tested a Snugpak bag at BGT and there was love all
      around about the bag if I recall correctly. Don't miss this opportunity
      to feel some of that Snugpak softness...
      http://www.snugpakusa.com/detalle.php?id=135
      (this is the full zip version)

      The one-item Newbie rule applies to this test, but all applicants are
      welcome to apply because, well, you just never know. I will keep the
      call open for one week or until sufficient bright, cheery, and
      well-thought out and complete applications are received. :)

      Happy applicating -
      Dennis
      Test Mod
    • André Corterier
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2 2:30 AM
        I'd love to try this bag, but low night temps will probably be below 41
        F in October, definitely in November (around here). Seems like a summer
        item.

        André
        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Shubitowski
        <shubitow@b...> wrote:
        > BackpackGearTest.org, in conjunction with Snugpak USA, is pleased to
        > announce we will be testing their Softie Chrysalis Micro Sleeping Bag!
        <snip>
        > Profiled Weight - 28 oz
        > Pack size: 6" x 6 " uncompressed
        > Comfort Temperature at 41 F Low Temperature at 32 F
        <snip>
      • Fuzzy
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2 11:39 AM
          <shubitow@b...> wrote:
          > BackpackGearTest.org, in conjunction with Snugpak USA, is pleased
          > announce we will be testing their Softie Chrysalis Micro Sleeping
          Bag!

          Yes, those of us who tested the Softie Merlin 3 all loved it. Having
          said that...

          I was selected back on December 1st for the Big Agnes Deep Creek
          (15°) Sleeping Bag. Due to production issues, the test was changed
          to the Nugget (45°) bag. We have been told multiple times that the
          Nugget should have shipped, but I have yet to receive anything,
          either a note or a product, from the manufacturer. As of right now,
          since the test is still scheduled to be a 6-month format, I expect to
          be out in 10-15° weather at least once or twice during the test
          period, and a 40-45° bag just won't be enough. What is the
          possibility that we can actually get the Deep Creek at this point?

          Just wondering,
          Fuzzy
        • Dennis Shubitowski
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2 11:55 AM
            Fuzzy wrote:

            >I was selected back on December 1st for the Big Agnes Deep Creek
            >(15°) Sleeping Bag. Due to production issues, the test was changed
            >to the Nugget (45°) bag. We have been told multiple times that the
            >Nugget should have shipped, but I have yet to receive anything,
            >either a note or a product, from the manufacturer. As of right now,
            >since the test is still scheduled to be a 6-month format, I expect to
            >be out in 10-15° weather at least once or twice during the test
            >period, and a 40-45° bag just won't be enough. What is the
            >possibility that we can actually get the Deep Creek at this point?
            >
            >Just wondering,
            >Fuzzy

            Shane was on this and I have been out of the loop on this one. I will
            see what I can find out Fuzzy.

            Dennis
          • WoodlandSprite
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2 3:20 PM
              I've Pinged, Pinged and Repinged the contact.
              I'll send them another note, If I don't hear back, I'm cancelling the test.
              -Stephanie

              wrote:
              > BackpackGearTest.org, in conjunction with Snugpak USA, is pleased
              > announce we will be testing their Softie Chrysalis Micro Sleeping
              Bag!

              Yes, those of us who tested the Softie Merlin 3 all loved it. Having
              said that...

              I was selected back on December 1st for the Big Agnes Deep Creek
              (15°) Sleeping Bag. Due to production issues, the test was changed
              to the Nugget (45°) bag. We have been told multiple times that the
              Nugget should have shipped, but I have yet to receive anything,
              either a note or a product, from the manufacturer. As of right now,
              since the test is still scheduled to be a 6-month format, I expect to
              be out in 10-15° weather at least once or twice during the test
              period, and a 40-45° bag just won't be enough. What is the
              possibility that we can actually get the Deep Creek at this point?

              Just wondering,
              Fuzzy

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Chief Moderator
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2 3:48 PM
                I'll call them Tuesday.

                Jerry

                _____

                wrote:
                > BackpackGearTest.org, in conjunction with Snugpak USA, is pleased
                > announce we will be testing their Softie Chrysalis Micro Sleeping
                Bag!

                Yes, those of us who tested the Softie Merlin 3 all loved it. Having
                said that...

                I was selected back on December 1st for the Big Agnes Deep Creek
                (15°) Sleeping Bag. Due to production issues, the test was changed
                to the Nugget (45°) bag. We have been told multiple times that the
                Nugget should have shipped, but I have yet to receive anything,
                either a note or a product, from the manufacturer. As of right now,
                since the test is still scheduled to be a 6-month format, I expect to
                be out in 10-15° weather at least once or twice during the test
                period, and a 40-45° bag just won't be enough. What is the
                possibility that we can actually get the Deep Creek at this point?

                Just wondering,
                Fuzzy

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "backpackgeartesters
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackgeartesters> " on the web.

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                _____

              • Chief Moderator
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2 4:02 PM
                  I thought it was Snugpak, for some reason. I just realized it was Big Agnes.
                  If they don't answer the last ping just take all their stuff off the list of
                  things to test. They are just too much trouble.

                  Jerry

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 2 4:07 PM
                    *grumble grumble*

                    I can only imagine how Fuzzy is taking this...

                    I'll line up for the next one.

                    Arron

                    --
                    ------
                    Arron Robinson --- mouserar@... --- aim:mouserar

                    --Unknown
                  • Fuzzy
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 8 12:51 PM
                      I know I am already slated to test the BA Deep Creek/Nugget. Should
                      that test be cancelled, I would like to submit this…

                      SNUGPAK SOFTIE CHRYSALIS APPLICATION

                      Please accept my application to test the Snugpak Softie Chrysalis. I
                      have read Chapter 5 of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version
                      1202, and will follow all requirements.

                      Tester Bio:
                      Name: Chuck Kime
                      Nickname: Fuzzy
                      Age: 39
                      Gender: Male
                      Height: 5' 8" (172 cm)
                      Weight: 229 lb (104 kg)
                      Email address: ckime AT nelsononline DOT com
                      City, State, Country: Upper Darby (Philadelphia suburb), PA, U.S.A.

                      Additional Information applicable to this test:
                      Shoulders: 56" (142 cm)
                      Girth at chest: 57" (145 cm)
                      Chest: 46" (117 cm)
                      Waist: 40" (102 cm)
                      Hips: 46" (117 cm)

                      Backpacking Background:
                      Found at end of application.

                      Field information:
                      Our Boy Scout troop camps monthly, generally in the wooded areas of
                      southeastern Pennsylvania and the Pocono Mountains. Almost all of
                      these outings include a minimum of 2 nights of camping, with
                      temperatures expected to be from lows around 30 ºF (-1 ºC) to highs
                      around 90 ºF (32 ºC) during the 4-month test period. Elevations will
                      range from sea level to approximately 1,000' (305 m). Our new
                      Scoutmaster has added monthly hikes to our schedule as well. My
                      fiancée and I, who between us have 3 First Class boy scouts (ages 14,
                      14 and 15), are also looking into additional camping without the
                      scouts, and there are possibilities of some AT section hikes in
                      Pennsylvania with my son as he works towards the Hiking Merit Badge.

                      My experience with sleeping bags has been mostly with U.S. military
                      issue bags, both Intermediate Cold and Extreme Cold varieties. These
                      bags are one-size-fits-all, so they are sized to fit almost anyone.
                      They fit me with some room to spare, but are terribly heavy at 10-12
                      lb (4.5-5.5 kg). In looking for a lightweight replacement, I quickly
                      learned that sleeping bags come in different girths, and many just do
                      not fit me. The Snugpak Merlin I tested for BGT was just the right
                      size to fit me, not to mention a dream weight.

                      The Merlin's comfort rating of 41 ºF (5 ºC), and low rating of 32 ºF
                      (0 ºC), should make it comparable to the Merlin. I am a warm
                      sleeper, and have taken this bag down to around 10 ºF (-12 ºC) with
                      extra layers. To perform similarly, the Chrysalis should be able to
                      comfortably take me, nude, easily down to the mid 30's ºF (2-3 ºC),
                      and even lower with a few extra layers. This will be tested in
                      mostly hammock situations.

                      I will be attentive to and/or test the following:
                      · Fit. Does it fit me? I may not be tall, but I'm pretty
                      wide. Will I be claustrophobic? Does it move well with me? Does it
                      restrict my sleeping positions?
                      · Length. Does the variable length stay put? Does it somehow
                      get shorter during the night? Is it long enough at its longest (I'm
                      not tall, so this shouldn't be an issue)?
                      · Hood. Is the hood snug? Does it cinch easily, and
                      comfortably, down to fit my face/head?
                      · Fabric. Does the Paratex breathe well?? Is it water
                      resistant (definitely going to want to test this)? Is it wind
                      resistant? How durable is it?
                      · Insulation. The Chrysalis has its own baffle system. Will
                      there be cold spots due to shifting? Does the bag regain loft
                      well/completely after unpacking?
                      · Warmth. How cold can it get and still keep me warm, or, at
                      least, comfortable?
                      · Packability. How packable is the bag? I will attempt to
                      pack this bag as part of my 3-season load in my Deuter Futura 32. At
                      6 in (15 cm) stuffed, it shouldn't be too difficult.
                      · Stuff sack. From what material is it made, and how well does
                      the bag fit in it? Is it easy to compress? Waterproof?
                      · Rolling System. How many ways can there be to roll a
                      sleeping bag? I'm curious…

                      Previously Written Reports:

                      Completed Tests:

                      Deuter Futura 32 Day Pack (September 30, 2003)
                      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Frameless%20Backpacks%
                      20and%20Day%20Packs/Deuter%20Futura%2032/Chuck%20Kime
                      -or-
                      http://tinyurl.com/9tm1

                      Tektite Trek (was Micra) Lithium Survival Light (October 17, 2003)
                      AntiGravityGear Mama's Kitchen Cook Set (January 6, 2004)
                      Aquamira Water Treatment (February 19, 2004)
                      Integral Designs Denali Pants (April 12, 2004)
                      Hot Chillys Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Top (April 14, 2004)

                      Snugpak Softie 3 Merlin Sleeping Bag (May 10, 2004)
                      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
                      20Bags/Snugpak%20Merlin%20Softie%203/Chuck%20Kime/
                      -or-
                      http://tinyurl.com/w0zn

                      Gregory Z Pack (June 11, 2004)
                      Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain High Packcloth Gaiters (July 20, 2004)
                      LEKI Pathfinder Jr. Trekking Poles (August 19, 2004)
                      Outdoor Research Sahara Sombrero (November 1, 2004)
                      Big Agnes Seedhouse 3 Tent (November 1, 2004)
                      Equinox Rainsuit (November 9, 2004)
                      Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad (December 8, 2004)
                      Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp (January 13, 2005)
                      Clikstand Complete Cook Set (January 18, 2005)
                      Black Diamond Carbon Fiber FlickLock Trekking Poles (April 22, 2005)
                      Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo Tent (May 26, 2005)
                      AntiGravityGear Blue Cozy Cover(s) (August 22, 2005)
                      Tilley TH4 Hemp Hat (August 25, 2005)
                      Ibex Neck Gaiter (September 8, 2005)
                      Ibex Scull Cap (September 8, 2005)

                      Currently Testing Other Items:

                      Big Agnes Nugget Sleeping Bag (Accepted for the Deep Creek in
                      December, 2004. It never arrived. Switched to the Nugget. It still
                      hasn't arrived.)
                      Adventure Medical Light & Fast First Aid Kit (not started yet)
                      AntiGravityGear Universal Alcohol Stove Accessory Kit (not started
                      yet)
                      Crazy Creek Crib LEX Lightweight w/ UltraLite Tarp (not started yet)

                      Owner Reviews:

                      Medium ALICE External Frame Pack (March 13, 2003)
                      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%
                      20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/US%20Military%20ALICE%20Pack/Owner%
                      20Review%20by%20Chuck%20Kime/
                      -or-
                      http://tinyurl.com/7grc

                      Victorinox Climber Swiss Army Pocket Knife (March 14, 2003)
                      Leatherman PST Multi-tool (March 26, 2003)

                      All of my reports/reviews may be found here:
                      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/chuck_kime
                      -or-
                      http://tinyurl.com/ver2

                      Tests Currently Monitoring:

                      Hennessey Super Shelter
                      IBEX Roaster Boxers/Briefs
                      JetBoil Pan Adapter

                      Tests Previously Monitored:

                      Exped Down Air Mattress (DAM)
                      "The Hiker's Guide to Preparing Home-Cooked Meals on the Trail" by
                      Steve Mroz
                      Ex Officio BUZZ OFF Convertible Pants
                      MSR OverLand Carbon Trekking Poles

                      Backpacking Background:
                      I started car/trailer camping with the family when I was about 5. I
                      enlisted in the Army Reserve during my first year of college and
                      spent 17 years fine-tuning my packing methodology - by the time I
                      separated from the service, I was down to what I thought was a
                      respectable 75-80 lb (34-36 kg) load. When my son started Cub
                      Scouts, I brought my 60 lb (27 kg) ALICE pack for a weekend. We got
                      to Boy Scouts in the Spring of 2002 and now camp monthly in locations
                      ranging from the Chesapeake Bay area (flat and lightly wooded), to
                      the Pocono Mountains (flat spots hard to find and very wooded), and
                      in all seasons.
                      Lightweight (and ultra-lightweight) web sites, advancing age,
                      arthritic knees and a car accident, along with a day hike up Pikes
                      Peak in July 2003, have led me to seriously rethink my gear choices,
                      experiment with tarps and hammocks, make some of my own gear, and
                      take a closer look at my `toys' with an eye for multi-use and light
                      weight. Our troop has now added monthly hikes, taking along as many
                      scouts as are willing, to a) get in shape (yeah, yeah, I know… round
                      IS a shape), and b) determine what I really need to take along. I am
                      relatively confident that I will be able to reduce my 3-season pack,
                      now under 30 lb (13.6 kg), to 20 lb (9 kg), before food, fuel and
                      water, by the time this season is over.

                      Thank you for your consideration,
                      Chuck Kime
                      a.k.a. Fuzzy