Re: Lightweight -- it's all about versatility

  • André Corterier
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1 7:16 AM
      Really "Jack R Better" - or "Jack's R Better"?

      André

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Lynne Durham
      <lynnedurham@g...> wrote:
      <snip>
      > - Please put Jack R Better Gear Hammock in the subject line
      > Let's get those applications rolling!
      > Thank you!
      > Lynne
      >
      > --
      > Lynne Durham
      > BGT Test Manager
      > Benton Harbor, Michigan USA

    • Lynne Durham
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1 9:00 AM
        Yo, TV --

        the folks at JRB are saying the items will ship as soon as I provide
        the addresses.

        However, you could still apply -- as long as you'll have the correct
        amount of nights for both of your tests. Just explain in your
        application how you could make it happen.

        Hope this helps,

        Lynne

        --
        Lynne Durham
        Benton Harbor, Michigan USA
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1 9:03 AM
          André,

          Sorry about the typo in my final paragraph of the call...it *is* Jacks.

          Jacks as in cards, I'm guessing -- so plural, not possessive.

          Like "jacks or better to open" in poker.

          Lynne :)

          --
          Lynne Durham
          Benton Harbor, Michigan USA
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1 1:55 PM
            JACKS R BETTER GEAR HAMMOCK APPLICATION

            Please accept my application to test the Jacks `R' Better Jeff's Gear
            Hammock and Pack Cover. If selected I would prefer the larger size,
            as my `stuff' takes up a fair bit of room (I'm not a small person).
            I will be deciding on my color preference while waiting for the call
            to close. I have read Chapter 5 of the BackpackGearTest Survival
            Guide, version 1202, and will follow all requirements.

            Tester Bio:
            Name: Chuck Kime
            Nickname: Fuzzy
            Age: 39
            Gender: Male
            Height: 5' 8" (172 cm)
            Weight: 229 lb (104 kg)
            Email address: ckime AT nelsononline DOT com
            City, State, Country: Upper Darby (Philadelphia suburb),
            Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

            Backpacking Background:
            Found at end of application.

            Backpacking Background applicable to this test:
            I recently began hammocking (I bought a Hennessy Expedition Asym, and
            have applied for the Crazy Creek LEX), and have discovered a need for
            a place to keep my `stuff'. I also have a large pack (Z-Pack)
            currently in need of a cover.

            Field information:
            Our Boy Scout troop camps monthly. Almost all of these outings
            include a minimum of 2 nights of camping, with temperatures expected
            to be from lows around 30 ºF (-1 ºC) to highs around 90 ºF (32 ºC)
            during the 4-month test period. Elevations will range from sea level
            to approximately 1,000' (305 m). Our new Scoutmaster has added
            monthly hikes to our schedule as well, which may include up to 2
            nights of camping. My fiancée and I, who between us have 3 First
            Class boy scouts (ages 14, 14 and 15), are also looking into
            additional camping without the scouts, and there are possibilities of
            some AT section hikes in Pennsylvania with my son as he works towards
            the Hiking Merit Badge.

            X.

            Things I will be looking for:
            · Ease/speed of set-up (as hammock). Can I set it up easily in
            bad weather? When I'm tired? When it's dark out (I prefer to know
            all of my gear by touch)? How long does it take?
            · Ease/speed of set-up (as pack cover). Can I get it in place
            easily? When it's dark out? How long does it take?
            · Pack size/weight. Experience to date tells me that bulk is
            more of a problem for me to pack than weight. I expect it to be
            fairly tiny.
            · Does it have everything I need for set-up? I see no mention
            of anything besides tie-outs and a shock cord. Do I need separate
            line(s) to hang it?
            · Dimensions. Does it fit my pack? Readily? Does it fit my
            gear?
            · Durability. Are there any significant wear points,
            especially over time? The spots where the pack contacts the cover
            will be investigated, along with tie-out points, hems, etc.
            · Waterproofness. Does it keep my pack dry?

            Previously Written Reports:

            Completed Tests:

            Deuter Futura 32 Day Pack (September 30, 2003)
            Tektite Trek (was Micra) Lithium Survival Light (October 17, 2003)
            AntiGravityGear Mama's Kitchen Cook Set (January 6, 2004)
            Aquamira Water Treatment (February 19, 2004)
            Integral Designs Denali Pants (April 12, 2004)
            Hot Chillys Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Top (April 14, 2004)
            Snugpak Softie 3 Merlin Sleeping Bag (May 10, 2004)
            Gregory Z Pack (June 11, 2004)
            Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain High Packcloth Gaiters (July 20, 2004)
            LEKI Pathfinder Jr. Trekking Poles (August 19, 2004)
            Outdoor Research Sahara Sombrero (November 1, 2004)
            Big Agnes Seedhouse 3 Tent (November 1, 2004)
            Equinox Rainsuit (November 9, 2004)
            Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad (December 8, 2004)
            Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp (January 13, 2005)
            Clikstand Complete Cook Set (January 18, 2005)
            Black Diamond Carbon Fiber FlickLock Trekking Poles (April 22, 2005)
            Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo Tent (May 26, 2005)
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Six%20Moon%
            20Designs%20Lunar%20Solo/Chuck%20Kime/
            -or-
            http://tinyurl.com/3qccp

            AntiGravityGear Blue Cozy Cover(s) (August 22, 2005)
            Tilley TH4 Hemp Hat (August 25, 2005)
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Hats/Tilley%20TH4%
            20Hat/Chuck%20Kime/
            -or-
            http://tinyurl.com/5m9bk

            Currently Testing Other Items:

            Ibex Neck Gaiter (Long Term Report Posted 8/30)
            Ibex Scull Cap (Long Term Report Posted 8/30)
            Big Agnes Nugget Sleeping Bag (not started yet)
            Adventure Medical Light & Fast First Aid Kit (not started yet)

            Owner Reviews:

            Medium ALICE External Frame Pack (March 13, 2003)
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%
            20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/US%20Military%20ALICE%20Pack/Owner%
            20Review%20by%20Chuck%20Kime/
            -or-
            http://tinyurl.com/7grc

            Victorinox Climber Swiss Army Pocket Knife (March 14, 2003)
            Leatherman PST Multi-tool (March 26, 2003)

            All of my reports/reviews may be found here:
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/chuck_kime
            -or-
            http://tinyurl.com/ver2

            Tests Currently Monitoring:

            Hennessey Super Shelter
            IBEX Roaster Boxers/Briefs
            JetBoil Pan Adapter

            Tests Previously Monitored:

            Exped Down Air Mattress (DAM)
            "The Hiker's Guide to Preparing Home-Cooked Meals on the Trail" by
            Steve Mroz
            Ex Officio BUZZ OFF Convertible Pants
            MSR OverLand Carbon Trekking Poles

            Backpacking Background:
            I started car/trailer camping with the family when I was about 5. I
            enlisted in the Army Reserve during my first year of college and
            spent 17 years fine-tuning my packing methodology - by the time I
            separated from the service, I was down to what I thought was a
            respectable 75-80 lb (34-36 kg) load. When my son started Cub
            Scouts, I brought my 60 lb (27 kg) ALICE pack for a weekend. We got
            to Boy Scouts in the Spring of 2002 and now camp monthly in locations
            ranging from the Chesapeake Bay area (flat and lightly wooded), to
            the Pocono Mountains (flat spots hard to find and very wooded), and
            in all seasons.
            Lightweight (and ultra-lightweight) web sites, advancing age,
            arthritic knees and a car accident, along with a day hike up Pikes
            Peak in July 2003, have led me to seriously rethink my gear choices,
            experiment with tarps and hammocks, make some of my own gear, and
            take a closer look at my `toys' with an eye for multi-use and light
            weight. Our troop has now added monthly hikes, taking along as many
            scouts as are willing, to a) get in shape (yeah, yeah, I know… round
            IS a shape), and b) determine what I really need to take along. I am
            relatively confident that I will be able to reduce my 3-season pack,
            now under 30 lb (13.6 kg), to 20 lb (9 kg), before food, fuel and
            water, by the time this season is over.

            Thank you for your consideration,
            Chuck Kime
            a.k.a. Fuzzy