Test Application: Ultralight Outfitters Beercan Cookpot & Stove - André

  • André Corterier
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005
      Application to test the Ultralight Outfitters Beercan Cookpot & Stove
      September 01, 2005

      I have read and understood the Survival guide v.1202 (in particular,
      chapter 5) and agree to follow all guidelines within. My signed
      tester agreement is on file.

      Biographical Information

      Name: André Corterier
      Age: 33
      Gender: m
      Height: 1.85 m (6'1")
      Weight: 80 kg (175 lb)
      Email address: andreDOTcorterierATfreenetDOTde
      Location: Bonn, Germany

      Backpacking Background

      I began backpacking in my late teens using Europe's "InterRail"-
      System – weight hardly mattered, as we were on trains a lot. I
      recently rediscovered backpacking and have started out slowly –
      single-day 15 mile (24 km) jaunts by myself or even shorter hikes in
      the company of my little daughter. I am getting started on longer
      hikes, as a lightweight packer and hammock-camper. I've begun
      upgrading my old gear and am now shooting for a dry FSO weight
      (everything carried From the Skin Out except food, fuel and water) of
      about 10 kg (22 lb) for three-season camping. Not quite there yet.

      Why and how I want to test this (Test Plan)

      Well, I'd like to reduce (even further) the amount of weight I carry
      around for cooking. While I've reduced it some already, there appears
      to be room for additional improvement here. I often cook on my
      daytrips, even the shorter ones – mainly because my daughter was
      present the first time I tried out a cookset I was supposed to test,
      and now insists that we cook in the field each time. I am happy to
      oblige – I like it, too. I also like warm food towards the end of a
      long day I spent walking. It's just the thing to get me going for
      another hour or so before stringing up my hammock. I have, however,
      left my cook gear at home for a 24-hour stint outdoors in which I and
      some others were required to attempt to "catch" two other groups of
      people moving around outdoors. It seemed an easy and obvious way to
      reduce my load by over a pound. This promises to make weight-cutting
      choices so much harder…

      In Particular:

      - The Mug/Pot
      I'll admit that an ounce isn't much for a cookpot. What weight
      saving! And supposedly non-stick coated, too. Well, this gives rise
      to the usual questions, only more so in regard to the very thin
      material: Does the non-stick coating work? Is there a decent spread
      of heat on the pot's bottom, or does the flame create a hotspot in
      the middle with a rapid decline in temperature? This is really a
      question of the relationship between the quality of the coating and
      the spread of heat, where a lack of one can be equalized by the
      other. Will this work out to food that's heated universally (with
      some stirring), or will it burn regardless of the non-stick coating?
      How much is the Esbit fuel a factor in this? I wonder (uhm, I mean
      will test) how much hassle installing and removing that "lip guard"
      will be. Will it weigh more than the "pot"? Will it be difficult to
      clean? According to the manufacturer, I can leave it on while
      cooking. Will that create problems? Can I leave it on while cleaning
      the can?
      - the windscreen:
      How well will it keep out the wind to allow the Esbit flame to evenly
      warm the pot? Will it restrict airflow (it doesn't seem to have
      airholes in it)? How well will I be able to regulate airflow by
      turning its side opening into or away from the wind? How easily will
      it pack around the mug? Will it cool off quickly enough to be of use
      as drinking cup insulation (the stated minute of the manufacturer
      should be adequate not to let the boiled liquid have cooled off too
      much)? I don't usually carry a drinking cup, it just seems like too
      much hassle to pack and unnecessary weight. This means I just drink
      water straight from the PET bottle. I'm not a coffee addict. Yet, the
      occasional sip of instant cappuccino would be quite welcome.
      - the stove:
      As a concept, simple enough. Will it pack well? Will its apparent
      flimsiness be a problem when balancing a pot full of boiling liquid
      on top of it? Will it be a problem (or help) in finding a spot that's
      level enough?
      - the can opener:
      I have a can opener which takes off the top of a can without leaving
      sharp edges. It was expensive. How well will this one work? What will
      it weigh? Will it be a good take-along for car camping trips? Can I
      use it on different cans? (There are 1 liter-cans of beer in Germany,
      I might be able to make a larger pot. Don't know – but will check –
      how they differ in diameter…)
      - Durability:
      They admit the pot is fragile, but the windscreen packing around it
      is supposed to make up for it. But does it? Can dents (assuming they
      happen, I won't test for this intentionally – except maybe once at
      the end of the LTR phase) really be pushed back out as
      the "manufacturer" claims? How easily will it dent? (My pack has the
      occasional rough encounter with a hard surface, though I never just
      drop it.) How well will it stand up to this?

      Testing Location and Probable Conditions

      In this region, the probable test period (September/October to
      winter) will
      typically see temps between -5, maybe -10 C (25, maybe 14 F) and 25
      C (77 F). For precipitation we'll have fog and drizzle as well as
      rain in fall, some snow in winter. Fall tends to be windy.

      I plan lots of day trips, likely a few overnighters, but have nothing
      concrete planned yet (no big hikes planned yet during the test
      period). I hike in hilly, forrested terrain which starts a 15 minute
      walk from where I live and extends for about 30 km (20 mi) in most
      directions. This includes hikes in the Kottenforst State Park, the
      Siebengebirge Nature Preserve (Seven Mountains – bit of a misnomer
      there, they top out at 461 m / 1512 ft), the River Rhine and the Ahr
      Valley. Elevations range from 60 m / 200 ft to the above-mentioned
      461 m / 1512 ft, paths tend to be well-maintained though I do not
      always stick to them.

      There are many paths I haven't seen yet, but I am catching up. I
      dayhike often(though often not even the full day), which could also
      be described as an extended walk with my daughter (as long as we're
      gone for at least half the day and I carry hammock and cook gear –
      and occasionally her – we consider it a hike). As we go „exploring" a
      lot, I tend to find many testing opportunities though we cover
      comparatively little ground. This very much applies to cooking
      opportunities, because she won't return until we've cooked. (She's
      too young to be allowed to cook with it by herself, as the Outfitters
      recommend, but I'll show her how it works and allow her to help.)

      My overnighters tend to be „mini-adventure" solo trips. Often, it's a
      distance I could cover in one long day, which I prefer to cut into
      two half days by starting Friday afternoon. Lets me get some solo
      backpacking done without impacting my family time too much. This
      usually means I cook once in the evening, but could (and likely
      would) make a point of cooking something (maybe just coffee) in the
      morning, as well.

      I can (and do) promise the equivalent of at least two nights spent
      out during the FR phase and at least another three during the LTR
      phase. I guess this would mean cooking on it at least five times. I
      will do it much more often – in fact, I believe I could do more than
      required for two different cook sets during the same period (just
      thought I'd drop that in as I've applied to the AGG alcohol stove
      accessory pack, as well – while there would be interesting cross-
      testing opportunities, I realize the majority of testing would be
      with the set as supplied).

      I am familiar with Esbit stoves (I was issued an old folding Esbit
      stove by the army which I still have somewhere) and can pick up Esbit
      tablets in any of the three outdoor stores I frequent. I promise I
      won't put the can/pot over a flame without water in it.

      Thank you for considering my application.

      André

      My past Owner Reviews:
      - Jack Wolfskin "World's End" tent at http://tinyurl.com/2w8vu
      - Jack Wolfskin "Iceland Men" Jacket at http://tinyurl.com/yt4lg
      - Jack Wolfskin "Texapore Mesh Hat" at http://snipurl.com/92wr
      - Salewa Protection Windstopper Gloves at http://tinyurl.com/6k9pz
      - Victorinox Outrider at http://tinyurl.com/6fspv)
      - MacPac Kauri Backpack at http://tinyurl.com/bymsq

      Completed Tests:
      Ursa Designs Clikstand Stove Set, at http://snipurl.com/92wt
      C.Crane PakLite LED flashlight, at http://tinyurl.com/3rlo3
      GoLite Wizard Jacket, at http://tinyurl.com/6783m
      Dahlgren Light Hiking Socks, at http://tinyurl.com/63joq

      Current Tests:
      AGG cozy cover (LTR posted), at http://tinyurl.com/6sqp2
      Ibex Roaster boxers (FR uploaded), at http://tinyurl.com/3vk8p
      Ibex Wool Glove Liners (FR uploaded), at http://tinyurl.com/3wwd7
      SmartWool microweight Tee (FR uploaded), at http://tinyurl.com/8d8yq

      The Ibex tests end in September, so I will be down to one test when
      this one starts (so only one more report to write for a clean slate).
      (Though I have applied to other tests as well.)

      I am currently active as a Mentor and a Monitor (monitoring the Black
      Diamond Terra CF Hiking Poles test).