Test Application - Merrell Warerpro Ultra-sport Shoes - Chuck Carnes

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
      Merrell Warerpro Ultra-sport Shoes Test Application

      Please review and accept my application to test the
      Merrell Warerpro Ultra-sport Shoes. The size that I
      request is a mens 10. I have read the Survival guide
      1202 and in particular chapter 5 and agree to follow
      all guidelines within.

      Biographical Information:
      Name: Chuck Carnes
      Age: 35
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6’0” (1.83 m)
      Weight: 175 lbs. (79 kg)

      Email address: ctcarnes1(at)yahoo(dot)com

      City, State, Country: Greenville, S.C. United States

      Date: September 1, 2005

      Backpacking Background:
      I love the outdoors – I’ve spent time camping in the
      outdoors since I was born, and have been actively
      hiking and backpacking for the past ten years. I
      consider myself a lightweight hiker, usually carrying
      20 – 30 pounds (11-13 kg) for hikes up to a week in
      length. I hike at an easy pace, averaging 2 mph (3
      kph). I am a one man tent camper for now until
      something I like better comes along. I like to carry a
      single trekking pole when I hike to help relieve
      stress to my legs and knees. I like to get out on the
      trail as often as I can.

      Field Information:
      I plan to test the Merrell Warerpro Ultra-sport Shoes
      at these locations and under these conditions:

      Smokey Mountains
      Planned trips: I plan on hitting trails here at least
      4 nights
      Conditions: The winter months in this area can be
      pretty brutal. Cold rain and snow.
      Elevation: 5500 to 6500 ft (1676 to 1981 m)
      Temperatures and precipitation average for this
      testing period:
      September: HI (60 F / 15 C) LO (47 F / 8 C) 5 in (12
      cm) precipitation
      October: HI (53 F / 11 C) LO (38 F / 3 C) 5 in (12
      cm) precipitation
      November: HI (42 F / 5 C) LO (28 F / -2 C) 6 in (15
      cm) precipitation
      December: HI (37 F / 2 C) LO (21 F / -6 C) 7 in (17
      cm) precipitation

      Jones Gap
      Planned trips: I plan to go on several spur of the
      moment trips here. I would say at least 2 to 4 nights
      per month so that would make 8 to 16 nights during the
      test period. I will also be doing several day hikes in
      this area.
      Conditions: The temperatures don’t get too bad until
      November and December but coming off the summer months
      the rain and humidity makes up for it in September and
      October.
      Elevation: 4500 to 5500 ft (1372 to 1676 m)
      Temperatures and precipitation average for this
      testing period:
      September: HI (84 F / 29 C) LO (56 F / 13 C) 7 in
      (17 cm) precipitation
      October: HI (82 F / 28 C) LO (38 F / 3 C) 7 in (17
      cm) precipitation
      November: HI (78 F / 26 C) LO (27 F / -2 C) 5 in (12
      cm) precipitation
      December: HI (67 F / 19 C) LO (12 F / -11 C) 2 in (5
      cm) precipitation

      Most of the trails that I will be on are fairly nice
      trails although I do encounter roots, rocks, and other
      pointy objects that peer from the surface of the
      ground and I usually step on it or kick it. I do cross
      creeks occasionally and sometimes after a big rain,
      the trail is basically a creek. During this testing
      period there is always occasional thunder showers so I
      think these shoes will be exposed to plenty of water
      and warm conditions as well as a variety of terrain.

      During the test period I expect to put about 300 to
      350 miles (483 to 564 km) on the shoes while
      backpacking, hiking and trail running if everything
      goes as planned.

      Background for this test:
      I currently wear Montrail Wasatches for trail hiking
      and running. I sometimes backpack in these when I am
      carrying a lighter load in the warmer months.

      Test Plan:
      I wear trail/running shoes all the time. I know these
      are not trail /running shoes but I would probably use
      them as such and as my loafing shoes when not on the
      trail. I believe that I can give these shoes a
      thorough test over the next four months. Here are some
      features that I look for in a shoe and will be paying
      close attention to for the next four months.

      I like to be able to slip my foot into a pair of
      shoes and immediately feel the comfort. Can
      immediately do lengthy miles on the trail without much
      breaking in? Will the shoe fit nicely around my foot?
      Will I have the custom fit feel? Will I get any hot
      spots or blisters from tight areas or can I fix those
      easily? Will my toes jamb up into the toe area on
      steep descents? Will my heels constantly come out of
      the heel cup on ascents? How comfortable is the
      footbed that is provided with the shoe? Will I need or
      want to replace them? I like having the option of
      wearing different thicknesses of socks, sometimes one
      pair and sometimes two pairs with different
      thicknesses. Will I be able to wear a variety of
      different thicknesses of socks and still feel
      comfortable and not too tight?

      I like to know that my shoes are dependable and
      durable. Will these shoes show any sign of wear at a
      four month period? How well does water evacuate from
      the shoe? Will the ports continue to let the water out
      as my foot squeezes water from my sock? When water
      does get in and drain, how quickly will my feet dry?
      Is it a noticeable difference with the drainage ports
      versus taking a wet shoe off, changing socks and
      continuing on while the shoe dries? Does the Vibram
      sole protect my feet from sharp boulders or objects?
      Looking at the picture of the shoe that the web site
      provides, at the area where the sole meets the mesh,
      will the sole start separating from the shoe in the at
      this area at any time during the testing? What kind of
      grip do the soles of the shoe give on wet, slick
      terrain; or dry terrain for that matter? Do the
      leather web straps give good lateral stability for my
      foot personally? Does the outside material of the shoe
      clean easily? Will the material tear easily? Will my
      foot fill up the volume of the shoe without many
      voids?

      All of my testing period will be during the warmer
      months. That means stinky feet syndrome. How well do
      the shoes handle odor? Do they dry well enough so that
      the shoes do not have an odor problem? How durable are
      the laces? It appears that the lateral webbing straps
      give many different tightening techniques with laces
      to support the foot and to keep the shoe well planted
      to the foot; will this prove to be true? Will I have
      to replace them in the four month period? If I wear
      gaiters, how well will they handle the lace hooks on
      Gaiters?

      I hope to answer most, if not all, of these questions
      in my Field and Long Term Report. If I am chosen to
      test the Merrell Warerpro Ultra-sport shoes, I will
      conduct a full examination of the shoes and all of its
      features. I have assessed my current work load as a
      tester and I am aware of the projected due dates for
      this test and I feel that this test will not hinder
      any of my upcoming reports. See below for current
      phase of gear that I am testing. Three of the five
      tests will be completed before this test begins. Thank
      you Merrell and BGT for the opportunity to be
      considered for this test.

      Gear that I am currently testing and their progress
      phase:
      Ultimate Direction Cohiba Backpack: Long Term Field
      Testing (LTR due Sept. 13, 05)
      Inka Pen: Initial Report Phase (IR posted for edts)
      Petzel Tikka Headlamp: Not yet received

      Currently Monitor for:
      IBEX Outdoor Clothing Approach Tights
      Tilley Endurables LTM6
      “A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike” Book

      Currently a Mentor for:
      Dave Hjelmar

      Completed Tests:
      Titanium Goat Vertex 5 Tent
      Princeton Tec EOS Headlamp
      OR Motion Fleece Balaclava
      OR Celestial Gaiters
      Princeton Tec Scout Headlamp
      Xikar 138 Excel Knife
      OR Hydrolite Stuff Sack
      Paxtons Sandle Saver
      Big Agnes Hog Park Sleeping Bag
      Big Agnes REM Hinman Sleeping Pad
      Big Agnes Seedhouse 3 Tent
      Macabi Skirt for Men
      Frogg Toggs Pro Sport Suit
      Shock Doctor Ultra 2 Footbeds
      Thorlo Level 3 Hiking Socks

      Owner Reviews Uploaded:
      Gregory Lassen Backpack
      Mountain Hardware Nickel Cigar Sleeping Bag
      Coleman Camp Stool`
      Moonstone Rain Jacket
      Apple iPod 40 GB

      2 Previously Written Reports:
      OR Motion Fleece Balaclava:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Hats/OR%20Motion%20Fleece%20Balaclava/Chuck%20Carnes/Long%20Term%20Report/

      OR Celestial Gaiters:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Rain%20Gear/Gaiters/Outdoor%20Research%20Celestial%20Gaiters/Chuck%20Carnes/Long%20Term%20Report/

      Other Reviews and Reports By Chuck Carnes:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ctcarnes1

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
        Rather than try to inform everyone of everything everywhere, I've decided to
        centralize my information disbursment. Ya'll can follow our progress and
        story here:

        http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/k/

        Shane