Re: [backpackgeartesters] Lightweight -- it's all about versatility

  • Lynne Durham
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      I'll see what I can find out.

      On 8/31/05, Thomas Vickers <redroach@...> wrote:

      > Hate to ask this, but I assume this item is going to ship quickly?
      >
      > IT sucks being a hammock camper testing a tent for the next 2 months.
      >
      > If it isn't shipping quickly, then I might have a shot
      >
      > TV
      >

      > --
      > Lynne Durham
      > Benton Harbor, Michigan USA

    • André Corterier
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        Notwithstanding whatever Lynne may find out, I'd assume that even -
        nay, especially - if it ships quickly you'd be the perfect tester.
        The test call states that they're willing to let even lowly ground-
        dwellers test this item. With the test-phase-mandated grounding
        running out during the test phase for this item, you could return to
        your arboreal abode and give a good perspective from both sides.

        André

        P.S.: Damn, I just reduced my own - forthcoming - app's chances at
        success. Altruism does nothing for me.

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"
        <redroach@e...> wrote:
        > Hate to ask this, but I assume this item is going to ship quickly?
        >
        > IT sucks being a hammock camper testing a tent for the next 2
        months.

        > If it isn't shipping quickly, then I might have a shot
        >
        > TV
      • André Corterier
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
          Really "Jack R Better" - or "Jack's R Better"?

          André

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Lynne Durham
          <lynnedurham@g...> wrote:
          <snip>
          > - Please put Jack R Better Gear Hammock in the subject line
          > Let's get those applications rolling!
          > Thank you!
          > Lynne
          >
          > --
          > Lynne Durham
          > BGT Test Manager
          > Benton Harbor, Michigan USA

        • Lynne Durham
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
            Yo, TV --

            the folks at JRB are saying the items will ship as soon as I provide
            the addresses.

            However, you could still apply -- as long as you'll have the correct
            amount of nights for both of your tests. Just explain in your
            application how you could make it happen.

            Hope this helps,

            Lynne

            --
            Lynne Durham
            Benton Harbor, Michigan USA
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
              André,

              Sorry about the typo in my final paragraph of the call...it *is* Jacks.

              Jacks as in cards, I'm guessing -- so plural, not possessive.

              Like "jacks or better to open" in poker.

              Lynne :)

              --
              Lynne Durham
              Benton Harbor, Michigan USA
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
                JACKS R BETTER GEAR HAMMOCK APPLICATION

                Please accept my application to test the Jacks `R' Better Jeff's Gear
                Hammock and Pack Cover. If selected I would prefer the larger size,
                as my `stuff' takes up a fair bit of room (I'm not a small person).
                I will be deciding on my color preference while waiting for the call
                to close. I have read Chapter 5 of the BackpackGearTest Survival
                Guide, version 1202, and will follow all requirements.

                Tester Bio:
                Name: Chuck Kime
                Nickname: Fuzzy
                Age: 39
                Gender: Male
                Height: 5' 8" (172 cm)
                Weight: 229 lb (104 kg)
                Email address: ckime AT nelsononline DOT com
                City, State, Country: Upper Darby (Philadelphia suburb),
                Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

                Backpacking Background:
                Found at end of application.

                Backpacking Background applicable to this test:
                I recently began hammocking (I bought a Hennessy Expedition Asym, and
                have applied for the Crazy Creek LEX), and have discovered a need for
                a place to keep my `stuff'. I also have a large pack (Z-Pack)
                currently in need of a cover.

                Field information:
                Our Boy Scout troop camps monthly. Almost all of these outings
                include a minimum of 2 nights of camping, with temperatures expected
                to be from lows around 30 ºF (-1 ºC) to highs around 90 ºF (32 ºC)
                during the 4-month test period. Elevations will range from sea level
                to approximately 1,000' (305 m). Our new Scoutmaster has added
                monthly hikes to our schedule as well, which may include up to 2
                nights of camping. My fiancée and I, who between us have 3 First
                Class boy scouts (ages 14, 14 and 15), are also looking into
                additional camping without the scouts, and there are possibilities of
                some AT section hikes in Pennsylvania with my son as he works towards
                the Hiking Merit Badge.

                X.

                Things I will be looking for:
                · Ease/speed of set-up (as hammock). Can I set it up easily in
                bad weather? When I'm tired? When it's dark out (I prefer to know
                all of my gear by touch)? How long does it take?
                · Ease/speed of set-up (as pack cover). Can I get it in place
                easily? When it's dark out? How long does it take?
                · Pack size/weight. Experience to date tells me that bulk is
                more of a problem for me to pack than weight. I expect it to be
                fairly tiny.
                · Does it have everything I need for set-up? I see no mention
                of anything besides tie-outs and a shock cord. Do I need separate
                line(s) to hang it?
                · Dimensions. Does it fit my pack? Readily? Does it fit my
                gear?
                · Durability. Are there any significant wear points,
                especially over time? The spots where the pack contacts the cover
                will be investigated, along with tie-out points, hems, etc.
                · Waterproofness. Does it keep my pack dry?

                Previously Written Reports:

                Completed Tests:

                Deuter Futura 32 Day Pack (September 30, 2003)
                Tektite Trek (was Micra) Lithium Survival Light (October 17, 2003)
                AntiGravityGear Mama's Kitchen Cook Set (January 6, 2004)
                Aquamira Water Treatment (February 19, 2004)
                Integral Designs Denali Pants (April 12, 2004)
                Hot Chillys Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Top (April 14, 2004)
                Snugpak Softie 3 Merlin Sleeping Bag (May 10, 2004)
                Gregory Z Pack (June 11, 2004)
                Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain High Packcloth Gaiters (July 20, 2004)
                LEKI Pathfinder Jr. Trekking Poles (August 19, 2004)
                Outdoor Research Sahara Sombrero (November 1, 2004)
                Big Agnes Seedhouse 3 Tent (November 1, 2004)
                Equinox Rainsuit (November 9, 2004)
                Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad (December 8, 2004)
                Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp (January 13, 2005)
                Clikstand Complete Cook Set (January 18, 2005)
                Black Diamond Carbon Fiber FlickLock Trekking Poles (April 22, 2005)
                Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo Tent (May 26, 2005)
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Six%20Moon%
                20Designs%20Lunar%20Solo/Chuck%20Kime/
                -or-
                http://tinyurl.com/3qccp

                AntiGravityGear Blue Cozy Cover(s) (August 22, 2005)
                Tilley TH4 Hemp Hat (August 25, 2005)
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Hats/Tilley%20TH4%
                20Hat/Chuck%20Kime/
                -or-
                http://tinyurl.com/5m9bk

                Currently Testing Other Items:

                Ibex Neck Gaiter (Long Term Report Posted 8/30)
                Ibex Scull Cap (Long Term Report Posted 8/30)
                Big Agnes Nugget Sleeping Bag (not started yet)
                Adventure Medical Light & Fast First Aid Kit (not started yet)

                Owner Reviews:

                Medium ALICE External Frame Pack (March 13, 2003)
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%
                20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/US%20Military%20ALICE%20Pack/Owner%
                20Review%20by%20Chuck%20Kime/
                -or-
                http://tinyurl.com/7grc

                Victorinox Climber Swiss Army Pocket Knife (March 14, 2003)
                Leatherman PST Multi-tool (March 26, 2003)

                All of my reports/reviews may be found here:
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/chuck_kime
                -or-
                http://tinyurl.com/ver2

                Tests Currently Monitoring:

                Hennessey Super Shelter
                IBEX Roaster Boxers/Briefs
                JetBoil Pan Adapter

                Tests Previously Monitored:

                Exped Down Air Mattress (DAM)
                "The Hiker's Guide to Preparing Home-Cooked Meals on the Trail" by
                Steve Mroz
                Ex Officio BUZZ OFF Convertible Pants
                MSR OverLand Carbon Trekking Poles

                Backpacking Background:
                I started car/trailer camping with the family when I was about 5. I
                enlisted in the Army Reserve during my first year of college and
                spent 17 years fine-tuning my packing methodology - by the time I
                separated from the service, I was down to what I thought was a
                respectable 75-80 lb (34-36 kg) load. When my son started Cub
                Scouts, I brought my 60 lb (27 kg) ALICE pack for a weekend. We got
                to Boy Scouts in the Spring of 2002 and now camp monthly in locations
                ranging from the Chesapeake Bay area (flat and lightly wooded), to
                the Pocono Mountains (flat spots hard to find and very wooded), and
                in all seasons.
                Lightweight (and ultra-lightweight) web sites, advancing age,
                arthritic knees and a car accident, along with a day hike up Pikes
                Peak in July 2003, have led me to seriously rethink my gear choices,
                experiment with tarps and hammocks, make some of my own gear, and
                take a closer look at my `toys' with an eye for multi-use and light
                weight. Our troop has now added monthly hikes, taking along as many
                scouts as are willing, to a) get in shape (yeah, yeah, I know… round
                IS a shape), and b) determine what I really need to take along. I am
                relatively confident that I will be able to reduce my 3-season pack,
                now under 30 lb (13.6 kg), to 20 lb (9 kg), before food, fuel and
                water, by the time this season is over.

                Thank you for your consideration,
                Chuck Kime
                a.k.a. Fuzzy