Brunton Glorb Lantern long term report for edit - Pam

  • pamwyant
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005
      HTML version is in the test folder, shortcut here:

      http://tinyurl.com/delkm

      Long Term Report: Brunton Glorb Lantern
      Date: August 30, 2005

      (Photo Glorb Lantern in the field)

      Tester Information:

      Name: Pam Wyant
      Age: 47
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
      Weight: 165 lb (77 kg)
      E-mail address: pamwyant(at)yahoo(dot)com
      Location: Western West Virginia, U.S.A.

      Backpacking Background:
      Last year I finally acted on a long time interest in backpacking,
      starting out slowly by day hiking, researching backpacking products
      and techniques, purchasing gear, and doing a few overnight trips,
      including one solo. This year I've turned into a "weekend warrior",
      taking a number of short trips, and hoping to take a longer trip
      this fall. I hike and backpack mainly in the hills and valleys of
      West Virginia, and use a hammock sleeping system. For a two-day trip
      my typical pack weighs 22-30 lb (10-14 kg), and I'm striving to
      lighten that a bit.

      Product Information -
      Manufacturer: Brunton
      Year of manufacture: 2005
      Date of Delivery: March 1, 2005
      Advertised weight: 8 oz (227 g)
      Delivered weight: 7 oz (198 g) lantern only; 9.5 oz (269 g)
      lantern, case, & 2 mantles
      Loaded weight: 7.5 oz (213 g) lantern & fuel only; 10 oz. (283 g)
      lantern, fuel, case, & 2 mantles
      Advertised measurement: 5.5 x 2.3 in (14 x 5.8 cm)
      Actual measurements: 5.5 in high x 2.3 in wide (14 cm high x 5.8 cm
      wide)
      Color: Black lantern with black case
      Manufacturer Website: http://www.brunton.com/
      MSRP: $55.00 U.S.
      Listed Replacement Parts: Mantles, set of 3 (MSRP $7.50 U.S.);
      Globe (MSRP $14 U.S.)

      Advertised Features:
      Piezo electric ignition
      60 watts of bright light with a mantle
      Use as a candle lantern without a mantle
      Durable heat-resistant glass globe
      Adjustable brightness control
      Refillable
      Tri-leg base for increased stability
      Hardcase included
      Two mantles included
      Burn time (display box) – 1.5 hours with mantle & 2 hours without
      mantle
      Burn time (web site) – up to 2 hours with mantle & 4 hours without
      mantle

      Physical description:
      The Brunton Glorb is a small compact lantern featuring a glass globe
      with protective wire guards, a unique burner head that allows it to
      be used in either candle mode or mantle mode, a piezo electric
      ignition, integrated fuel storage compartment, and stabilizing
      legs. The lantern is made to stand on a flat surface and no
      provisions are made for hanging it. For a more detailed physical
      description and detailed information on fuel, filling, lighting, and
      using the lantern see my Initial Report.

      Field Use -

      Conditions:

      Over the course of the test, I've used the Brunton Glorb Lantern in
      temperatures ranging from approximately 20F (-7C) to 70F (21C) .
      I've used the Glorb at elevations ranging from approximately 600 ft
      (185 m) to 3600 ft (1100 m). This summer turned out to be
      relatively dry, and I did not end up testing the Glorb while it was
      raining, although humidity was often very high.

      Use:

      Since my earlier field testing experiences, the Glorb has went along
      mainly on small group backpacking trips (4-10 people). I've used it
      on two trips in candle mode (on the Greenbrier River Trail and in
      the George Washington National Forest). I've used it in mantle mode
      on the Greenbrier River Trail, and in the Otter Creek Wilderness. I
      also used it in mantle mode at a couple of Girl Scout camping
      events, but probably the most unique test location was in a motel
      during a power failure.

      The Glorb has provided light to play cards, read, write, prepare
      food, eat, and clean up. It's been used as an alternate to a
      campfire on several occasions. I've went through four test mantles
      over the test period and just installed the fifth. I did purchase
      a "fuel tool", an accessory which allows the use of
      isobutane/propane canister fuel, and have used the lantern with
      canister fuel and premium butane.

      Findings:

      (Photo - Filling with the fuel tool)

      The Glorb is a well constructed lantern. I've had no trouble with
      anything breaking other than mantles, and no parts of the lantern
      are showing any wear. The Piezo electric ignition works well,
      although it sometimes takes a few clicks for the fuel to ignite.
      Fuel cost and burn time is relatively reasonable when compared to
      fuel used in stoves, and I still haven't completely used up the
      first can of premium butane I bought to use with the lantern. I
      like that the fuel tool will allow me to use fuel from canisters,
      especially since I can fill the lantern from an almost empty
      canister at home before a trip, allowing efficent use of fuel that
      otherwise would likely go to waste, since it isn't really enough to
      take along on a trip for cooking purposes. It's also nice that the
      lantern can use the same canister as my stove so I'm not carrying
      two containers of fuel on my trip.

      I've compared the Glorb to two small battery operated lanterns, both
      using four AA batteries to operate. One is a flashlight which
      converts into a lantern weight 6 oz (170 g) with batteries, and the
      other is a LED lantern with neck lanyard weighing 6.5 oz (184 g)
      with batteries. An extra set of four alkaline batteries for these
      lanterns weighs 4 oz (113 g). So, for a two night trip, allowing
      for a change of batteries, weight of the battery operated lanterns
      would be relatively similar to weight of the Glorb lantern with the
      case, however the Glorb would require bringing along a fuel canister
      or can of butane to allow filling the second night. If I use my
      pocket rocket, the Glorb can share its fuel, making the weight of
      the extra fuel negligible, but if I choose to use a lighter weight
      alcohol stove, I'll end up carrying several ounces more. I've also
      compared the Glorb to my Princeton Tec headlamp. The headlamp is
      the clear winner as far as efficiency for weight is concerned,
      providing a more focused light for a much longer period of time at a
      weight of just under 3 oz (85 g).

      (Photo - Glorb Comparison test)

      When testing the various lanterns, I measured the radius that each
      put out light of varying brightness. In the photo above, the Glorb
      is on the left, the LED lantern in the center, and the flashlight
      lantern on the right. This test was performed soon after lighting
      the Glorb with a full load of premium butane fuel and with fresh
      batteries in each lantern. I found the Glorb put out bright light
      to about 7 in (18 cm), moderate light to about 14 in (36 cm), and
      low light to about 20 in (51 cm). The flashlight lantern put out
      bright light to about 4 in (10 cm), moderate light to about 7 in (18
      cm), and low light to about 11 in (28 cm). The LED lantern put out
      bright light to about 7 in (18 cm), moderate light to about 10 in
      (25 cm), and low light to about 13 in (33 cm). Next I tested how
      far I could hold a paper with hand written notes on it, tilted at an
      angle toward the light from each lantern, and still read it. The
      note was legible about 45 in (114 cm) from the Glorb, 55 in (140 cm)
      from the flashlight lantern, and 65 in (165 cm) from the LED
      lantern. I also tested the Glorb Lantern and the headlamp in map
      reading, where the headlamp was a clear winner as shown by the
      legibility of the maps below. The Glorb is shown next to a map on
      the left, and my headlamp light is focused on the same map to the
      right.

      (Photo - Map test)

      The Glorb dims noticeably after approximately 30 minutes of burn
      time, in both candle and mantle mode, while the other lanterns and
      headlamps remain at about the same level of brightness in this same
      length of time. After another 30 minutes, the Glorb becomes
      extremely dim in candle mode, providing only a faint glow. In
      mantle mode the Glorb generally burns out in about an hour on high,
      while it burns about an hour and a half in candle mode. Burning it
      on low seems to only add about 15 minutes to the burn times in my
      experience. I've found the candle mode in general just isn't very
      usable to do camp chores or read by. In mantle mode, it's best to
      perform these tasks within 30 minutes of lighting the lantern to
      take advantage of the brightest light.

      Sub-freezing temperatures adversely affect the amount of light given
      off, but increase the fuel burn time. Other than sub-freezing
      ranges, temperatures seem to have little effect on its performance.
      The Glorb produces noticeable fumes when lit, so good ventilation is
      very important if it is being used in an enclosed space. When we
      used it in a motel room, we used it near an open window for
      ventilation. Since I'm a hammock camper, I haven't tried it inside
      a tent, but I would be certain to have good ventilation if I decided
      to do so. The Glorb sometime flames up when first lit, so I always
      made sure to light it away from my hammock tarp, but could move it
      near or even under the tarp once it was lit, without worrying about
      catching the tarp on fire

      Where the Glorb really shines is as a campfire substitute. I've
      found it great for this when fires are prohibited, or after a long
      day on the trail when our group is really just too tired to make the
      effort to scrounge up wood, light a fire, tend it, and have to go
      through the process of extinguishing it safely before going to bed.
      Using the Glorb instead provides a glowing focal point for group
      conversation similar to a campfire, but is much easier to light and
      extinguish.

      (Photo - Installing the mantle)

      Although I've become much better at installing them, the biggest
      drawback to the Glorb is that the mantles are pretty fragile. I
      haven't ruined any more upon installation since the field test
      phase, but the longest I've had one survive is about six burnings.
      It's easier for me to properly install them during daylight hours,
      although I have managed to do it in the dark once. At $2.50 US
      apiece, this adds considerably to the cost of operation. I've been
      unable to find the mantles in my area, so I've ordered replacement
      mantles from the manufacturer directly, which adds shipping to my
      cost. I did find I could get them shipped more economically when I
      ordered them by telephone and requested they be shipped standard
      U.S. mail, instead of ordering them from the website, where the only
      shipping choice was Fed-Ex.

      Conclusions:

      As much as I like the quality of the Brunton Glorb lantern, I've
      concluded that I won't be taking it along on every trip in the
      future. I'm trying hard to shave some weight from my pack, so for
      solo trips and trips where I anticipate our group having a campfire,
      I will be leaving the Glorb home to save weight. However, on group
      trips that involve long distances or take place in areas that don't
      allow campfires, it will likely be going along, as I've found it
      very useful for a campfire substitute.

      Likes –
      Compact size
      Appealing design
      Easy to operate
      Good as a substitute campfire

      Dislikes –
      Mantles are fragile, require care in installation, and aren't
      readily available in my area
      Candle mode doesn't produce much light
      Lantern becomes noticeably dim as burn time increases

      Thanks to Brunton and BackpackGearTest for the opportunity to test
      the Brunton Glorb Lantern.