APPLICATION - GSI Crossover Kitchen Kit - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2011
      John,

      1) Please accept my application to test the GSI Crossover Kitchen Kit. I
      have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapters 4 and 5 and will
      comply with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester
      agreement is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the minimum expected
      use requirements and plan to use the kitchen kit more than the required
      time.

      ------
      2) Bio

      Name: Brett Haydin
      Age: 38
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      Weight: 195 lb (88.50 kg)

      Appetite: Large

      Email: bhaydin AT hotmail DOT com
      Location: Salida, Colorado USA

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking in Wisconsin as a youth, being
      involved in the Boy Scouts programs. As a young adult, I worked at a summer
      camp leading backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking trips. I now
      generally take short weekend or day trips in rough, mountainous terrain,
      although I have extensive experience in the upper Midwest as well. I take
      one or two longer trips each year, where I typically carry about 40 lb (18
      kg). I prefer to be prepared and comfortable, but I have taken lightweight
      trips as well.

      ------
      3) Test Plan

      April - August: I am transitioning to my busiest backpacking months where I
      plan to trek primarily in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. With a number of
      trips planned over 14,000 ft (4267 m) and in number of public lands I expect
      to encounter everything from alpine forests to tundra to semi-arid desert
      conditions. I anticipate temperatures will be anywhere from 0 to 90 F (-18
      to 32 C). My trips will likely be solo or with one other person, but I plan
      to camp with my family quite a bit as well (car camping style).

      I used to cook quite a bit, going to great lengths to plan meals that I
      could make on the trail; even preparing fresh pesto sauce just prior to
      heading out. What I always struggled with was finding kitchen equipment
      that was functional and portable. So many of the camping utensils I have
      used have been quite flimsy, but these look big enough to handle even large
      meals. I appreciate that the storage system is shaped to fit in a pot, so
      finding the right place could help keep me organized. With the longer days
      of spring and summer, I will definitely have more daylight to cook in! Will
      the pivoting tools hold up to camp abuse? Will the scrubber last the whole
      four months? Are the bottles prone to leaking? If given the chance I will
      let everyone know!
      ------
      4) Current Tests and Stage (4):
      - Wenger Xpedition Mid Boots (LTR due 4/19/11)

      - Bridgford Ready to Eat Sandwiches (LTR due 7/12/11)

      - JakPak jacket/sleepingbag/tent (IR awaiting edit)

      Status Page: <http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1823.htm>

      5) OR's completed in past year: 1

      ------

      6) Other Applications Pending (1):

      - Jetboil Sol
      ------

      7) Other BGT Duties: (0)
      - Awaiting Monitor assignments (2 available)