Application: Hydrapack Morro - Kurt Papke

  • Kurt Papke
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2011
      I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 in their entirety
      and my signed compliance statement is on file.

      Bio: Resident of Tucson, AZ. 6' 4", 230 lbs, age 57, gender=male,
      e-mail: kwpapke(at)gmail(dot)com. Doing more day hiking these days
      due to pressures of job and house, but when I do get out I hike in
      extremely varied and rugged terrain. Typically carry a lumbar pack
      with 2x 1 liter capacity for hydration.

      Current tests=none (hence no test status page), 2 apps outstanding for
      FITS sock and Ecco shoes.
      Lol: monitor, call manager, no OR's last 12 months :(
      Tests completed:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/kwpapke including two
      hydration reservoir tests.

      Test plan: at 1 lb 13 oz this is a heavy pack for me to carry on my
      weekly dayhikes, but with a full load of 100+oz of water the weight of
      the H2O will dwarf the pack weight. On my typical weekend desert
      hikes I carry and consume 2 L of fluids, and always arrive home
      dehydrated. My hope with the Morro is I will sip water from the
      reservoir and stay better hydrated, and also carry 2x bottles of
      Gatorade in the side pockets to keep my electrolytes up, so I will
      constantly exercise the reachability of the dual side bottle pockets
      as well as the reservoir.

      With the summer season coming on I will mostly be carrying fluids in
      the 13L pack, though snacks and a lunch, and the bottoms of my
      convertible pants will also get stashed. I will not likely push the
      carrying volume of the gear to its extremes. I will likely push the
      limits of the back ventilation of the pack; I sweat like crazy, and it
      will be summer temperatures in Tucson. Lately I have been doing a
      fair amount of mountain scrambling, which can require me to lash my
      trekking poles to my pack to free my hands. I'll be looking to see
      how well this pack accommodates my retracted poles.

      It was enlightening to watch their video on the reversible reservoir.
      I am familiar with the slider seal from my test of the Platypus
      Insulator, but have never tried turning a reservoir inside-out to dry.
      It'll be interesting to see how this works on a regular basis and
      what kind of stress it puts on the reservoir (leaks?). The
      plug-n-play connector is also familiar to me from the Platy test. I
      am intrigued by the magnetic clip: the clip is something that has
      failed from fatigue on all my other reservoirs. I like the idea, but
      how often does a snag cause the magnetic clip to give way and
      resulting in a flopping tube?

      Hiking plans: this is a day-use pack, which is an ideal match with how
      I am hiking lately. Almost every weekend I get out for at least one
      day-long hike in the surrounding mountains. This test will take place
      during the hottest months of the year here in Tucson, so most of my
      hikes will be at altitudes of 6000+ft in the Rincons, Catalinas, and
      Santa Rita mountains. Hiking temperatures will likely range from
      70-105F. It will also be monsoon season, so the pack is likely to get
      drenched a few times (I hope!)

      This pack seems to be marketed at cyclers. I may try it on a few bike
      rides as well, more on- than off-road. This would not be my primary
      emphasis of use, just an additional data point.

      There are a lot of intriguing features in this product; I am really
      excited to be considered for this test.

      --Kurt