FR - Sea to Summit Dry Sack - David Wyman

  • Dave Wyman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2011
      HTML:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-%20Sea%20to%20Summit%20-%20Dave%20Wyman/

      TEXT:

      Field Report - April 4, 2011

      Trips Taken

      I've been able to get this dry sack out on two short backpacking trips
      in Raccoon Creek State Park. Both had temperatures in the low 40s F
      (around 5 C) and light snow flurries and misty rain.

      Thoughts and Impressions

      I had expected the weather to be significantly colder and to only snow,
      not rain. So I was very happy to have this dry sack along. I used it
      primarily to keep my sleeping bag and a change of clothing dry and it
      worked very well at that task. When compressed and the top rolled down
      and secured, it fit quite well in the bottom of my backpack.

      While in camp, I unpacked my sleeping bag and clothing and used the bag
      to hold water that I scooped out of the lake. The D-rings on the side
      made it very easy to suspend the bag from a branch and filter water from
      it as I needed it. It was nice not having to go back to the lake to
      filter water.

      The D-rings also came in handy when I used the dry sack as a food bag
      overnight. Putting a few rocks in the bottom, rolling the top closed,
      and attaching the rope to the D-rings made it pretty easy to toss over a
      branch. It kept my food, stove, and cooking gear dry at night.
    • jerry adams
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2011
        Nice report
        As usual, EDIT - edit, edit - change to something like that, comment - just
        that.
        Upload when edits are done and delete from test folder.

        Very innovative - using it to hold water - I guess we could call it a wet bag.

        Could you put a picture of the bag in use in for the Long Term Report?

        Could you add a little to the Trips Taken section?  Like number of nights and
        number of miles?

        Make sure and get the BGT minimum of 5 nights total in the FR and LTR periods.

        See you int two months