Application - GSI Crossover Kitchen Kit

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 2:49 PM
      John, please consider my application for the GSI Crossover Kitchen Kit. I have read and agree to the BackpackGearTest.org Survival Guide and bylaws v.0609 and have a tester agreement on file. This Test will not conflict with my other Test.

      Richard Lyon, Male, 64, Dallas, Texas USA
      6'4" [1.91 m], 205 lb [91 kg],
      Montana DOT angler AT gmail DOT com

      I've been backpacking regularly in the Rockies since 1986. I do at least one
      weeklong trip every summer, and often take three-day trips. I'm usually
      camping in alpine terrain, at altitudes 5000 to 10000 ft (1500-3000 m). I prefer base camp backpacking, a long hike in with day trips from camp. Recently I've been actively reducing my pack weight, but still sleep in a floored tent and often include my favorite camp conveniences.

      Tests in progress: 1 [Merrell Raven (LTR due in May)]
      See http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1436.htm
      Other pending applications: None

      I have completed 20+ tests and submitted over 40 Owner Reviews(including one on kitchen accessories). I've submitted eight ORs in the past twelve months.
      My Reports are listed at
      http://www.BackpackGearTest.org/tester_reviews/richardglyon
      I serve as an OR Editor, Call Manager, Mentor, Monitor, and Moderator.

      I have two one-week trips in Montana planned over the next four months: a service trip in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex the last week in June and a base camp hike, probably in the Hilgard Basin area of the Lee Metcalf Wilderness or nearby in Yellowstone National Park, in August. I am trying to arrange to spend most of this summer in Montana and should have the opportunity for several other backpack trips in the Absaroka Range or Yellowstone.

      I saw this product at the OR Winter Show in January and was hoping we'd get it to test. I usually cook with a canister stove. I carry a Jetboil when solo, and usually a group setup when with one or more other hikers. Particularly with a larger group and particularly on a base camp trip I try to arrange more than just dehydrated or a freeze-dried meal, so I'm usually packing spices, olive oil, and a fresh veggie or two. As a service trip leader, I have menu-planning responsibilities. On these trips the Forest Service usually packs in food, allowing use of some fresh meat and vegetables, and the cutting board and utensils will come in handy. It would be great to have all these things in one well-organized pouch, and I'd like to see how much space and weight savings the kit will provide.