FR - Cocoons Sunglasses - Jerry Adams

  • jerry adams
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29 8:29 PM
      http://tinyurl.com/4n3e9sb

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      January 18 to 24 - 4 night backpack on the Illinois River in Southwest Oregon.
      22 miles (35 km) of walking.  34 to 55 F (1 to 13 C).   I used the sunglasses 4
      hours per day for 4 days hiking and 2 days walking/driving.  It was a mixture of
      sun and cloudy.
      February 8 to 12 - 3 night backpack on the beach of the Olympic Peninsula in
      Northwest Washington.  3 days of walking on the beach in the sun.  10 hours
      total.  20 miles (32 km).  30 to 40 F (-1 to 5 C).
      March 20 to 26 - 4 night backpack up the Deschutes River in North central
      Oregon.  3 days of walking wearing the sunglasses.  It was half sunny and half
      cloudy.  Total of 12 hours.  30 to 55 F (-1 to 13 C).
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Near Deschutes
      River">>

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I wore the Cocoons on 10 days of backpacking and 2 days of driving/walking
      around for a total of about 46 hours.  I walked about 75 miles (121 km).
      Temperatures were 30 to 55 F (-1 to 13 C).
      The Cocoons were very comfortable.  My nose and ears never got sore.  The
      glasses never fell off.
      As  I mentioned in the Initial Report, the way the Cocoons are designed, on the
      top edge of the glasses is a "ledge" that goes over the top of my regular
      glasses, resting against them, holding up the sunglasses.  This has proven to
      work quite well.  I have had other sunglasses that go over prescription glasses
      that don't attach very well or a clip will stick out and rub against my skin.  I
      think the "ledge" approach of the Cocoons would make them comfortably fit a
      larger range of prescription glasses.  I verified this on two old pairs of
      prescriptions that I don't wear anymore.
      Since the Cocoons stuck  out beyond my regular glasses, they felt just a little
      unstable.  There's some physics going on here.  If the lever arm is longer,
      there's more centrifugal force.  But, since the Cocoons are so light, it's not
      too bad.  They never came close to falling off or anything.  After a while I got
      used to it.
      The darkness of the lenses is a good compromise between dark enough for sun
      protection but not so dark I couldn't see when I was in the shade.  When I was
      on the Illinois River it was mostly cloudy and I walked in trees a lot.  When I
      was on the Olympic Peninsula it was mostly sunny and I walked mostly along the
      beach in complete sun.  When I was walking on the Deschutes River there was a
      mixture of sun and clouds.
      The arms of the glasses can be adjusted to fit.  The Cocoons fit me just fine
      without adjustment, so I didn't really verify that functionality.
      One negative about these glasses is there's a fairly wide strip around the
      perimeter that blocks my peripheral vision.   My regular glasses have a narrower
      strip.  With the Cocoons I tended to run into branches and things just a little
      more than with just my regular glasses.
      In the recent past, I've worn prescription sunglasses, but they are much more
      expensive than the Cocoons.  When the prescription changes on my regular glasses
      I'm too cheap to update my prescription glasses so I end up with a non-optimum
      prescription.  I do like the lighter weight of prescriptions compared to regular
      glasses plus Cocoons.  When I wear the Cocoons, there are two lenses to get
      dirty so I have to wash them more often.

      SUMMARY

      The Cocoons met my expectations.
      Good things:
        * The sizing information on their website was accurate - the sun glasses fit
      over my regular glasses.
        * The Cocoons are very lightweight.
        * They were comfortable to wear.
        * The darkness of the lenses is good for sunlight but I can still see in the
      shade.
      Bad thing:
        * I like my prescription sunglasses better, but they're so expensive.
      Look forward to my Long Term Report in two months.
      Thanks to Live Eyewear and BackpackGearTest.org for letting me test these.

    • asklarry99
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 30 6:37 PM
        Hi Jerry-

        I'm trying to be quicker now, so here are your edits for the Cocoons test. Nothing that needs to be changed, but a few comments and suggestions ("Edits") for you. Please upload when ready.

        See you in 2 months

        -larry

        Comment: FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS
        >>>Sentences? Obviously this is a style issue, so feel free to leave as is if you prefer. Me? I like sentences!

        Edit: It was a mixture of sun and cloudy.
        >>>"sun and clouds" or "sunny and cloudy" would be better

        Edit: The darkness of the lenses is a good compromise
        >>>suggest "tint" or "coloring" instead of "darkness", both here and in the summary

        Comment: One negative about these glasses is there's a fairly wide strip around the perimeter that blocks my peripheral vision.
        >>>This is good to know!

        Edit: the sun glasses fit over my regular glasses.
        >>>'sunglasses' as one word
      • jerry adams
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31 7:22 PM
          Thanks for the edits

          Edited, uploaded, deleted

          You suggested I change darkness to color or tint, but those don't really
          accurately describe what I want to say.  If the sunglasses are too dark, then I
          can't see in the shade, if not dark enough, then eyestrain in bright sun.  Color
          or tint doesn't really say this.