APPLICATION: Teko Hiking Socks

  • Will Rietveld
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2005
      APPLICATION: TEKO MERINO HIKING SOCK

      Date: August 31, 2005

      Hi Andy. Please consider my application to test the Teko Hiking Socks (the heavier ones). I would need a size men's large, color: "Sky with Moon Mist".

      I have read and re-read the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide version 1202, especially Chapter 5, and have a signed Tester Agreement on file. I agree to follow all BGT tester requirements.

      I have written and uploaded two additional Owner Reviews (GoLite Breeze Backpack and Oware 8x10 Tarp) to earn extra points toward my test applications. Also, I am the monitor for the current Big Agnes Parkview Tent test, and I participate in the BGT Mentors program.

      I am currently participating in 5 tests. Two tests end soon after this test begins.

      Thanks for your consideration, and thanks for all the good work you do for BGT.

      Will Rietveld

      PERSONAL INFORMATION
      Name: Will Rietveld
      Age: 62
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft (183 cm)
      Weight: 170 lb (77 kg)
      Email: (willi_wabbit at bresnan dot net) willi_wabbit@...
      City & State: Durango, CO 81301
      Location for Testing: Southwestern US (Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico).

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      I have been an avid backpacker for 47 years. Backpacking is my passion. In the fall, winter, and spring I backpack in UT, AZ, and NM. In the summer I backpack in several wilderness areas in southern Colorado.

      Backpacking Style-I have been a lightweight backpacker for many years and an ultralight backpacker for 6 years. My wife and I give presentations on ultralight backpacking in the local area, and have developed a website called Southwest Ultralight Backpacking (http://home.bresnan.net/~swultralight) to share information.

      TESTER QUALIFICATIONS
      I have participated in 17 BGT tests so far and am very enthusiastic about the Group. I use the items I am testing on numerous trips, my evaluations are thorough, and my reports are always well written and on time. To view examples of my work, see my recent reports (URL's at the bottom of my application).

      The success of BGT depends on Group members thoroughly testing outdoor gear on backcountry backpacking trips over a wide variety of conditions. In 2003 I went on 26 backpacking trips (83 days) and 10 backcountry car camping and canoeing trips (54 days). In 2004, I went on a total of 21 extended backcountry trips for a total of 74 days, plus dozens of day trips. So far in 2005 I have done 21 multi-day trips plus dozens of day trips.

      ESTIMATED USAGE
      I am retired and backpack every week in the summer and fall. In between backpacking trips I day hike. I expect to use the Teko Hiking Socks 40-50 days during the four-month test. Activities include: backpacking, day hiking, canoeing, elk hunting, car camping, snowshoeing, and XC skiing. If I am selected to participate in this test, I can assure you that the Teko Hiking Socks will receive a lot of testing, a thorough and objective evaluation, and well-written reports.

      PROPOSED TEST
      TEST LOCATIONS-This is good timing for me to evaluate the Teko Hiking Socks because I can test them in a variety of activities, terrains, and climates, starting immediately. Between backpacking trips I do numerous day trips in the local Colorado Mountains. In summer I will be backpacking in the high alpine zone of the Colorado Mountains. In early fall I will be camping and elk hunting in Southern Colorado. This fall I will be backpacking and day hiking in the canyonlands country of Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico. In early winter I will be snowshoeing and backcountry skiing in the Southern Colorado Mountains.

      TESTING CONDITIONS
      The testing environments will consist of: badlands desert, canyon country, forests, and high elevation alpine country. Expected extreme conditions include: snow storms, strong winds, dust/rain storms, heavy rain, intense sun, low temperatures, and high elevations with strong UV and intense thunderstorms. Terrains will be forest and desert trails, slickrock hiking, off-trail bushwhacking, scrambling, walking in rain and snow.

      ACTIVITIES
      The Teko Hiking Socks will be tested doing the following activities: 1) backpacking, 2) day hiking, 3) elk hunting, 4) canoeing, 5) XC skiing, 6) snowshoeing, and 7) ice fishing.

      TEST PLAN-From the time the Teko Hiking Socks arrive, they will be my primary hiking socks and will be used several times a week. I will hand wash them between trips so I don't have to wait for them to go through the laundry.

      On each trip I will record the following data in relation to my comfort wearing the Teco Hiking Socks: 1) temperatures, 2) estimated wind speed, 3) estimated humidity, 4) altitude, 5) precipitation (including what form), 6) trail (or no trail) conditions, 7) how the Teko Hiking Socks were used (footwear, including gaiters), and 8) how well they performed in various footwear and hiking conditions.

      FACTORS EVALUATED-The specific factors I will be evaluating the Teko Hiking Socks for are as follows:

      1) MATERIALS, QUALITY, AND CONSTRUCTION: Are the socks made of high quality materials, and are they well designed and constructed? Is there extra padding to cushion the foot where needed? Is there adequate reinforcement in wear areas?

      2) FIT: Are they tall enough for full-height boots? How do they fit in a variety of footwear? How well do the socks fit my (wide) feet? Are they true to size? Do they maintain their size after repeated use and washings?

      3) COMFORT: Are the socks comfortable to wear in different footwear and different hiking conditions. Are they warm in cold weather? Are they too hot in hot weather? What is their comfort range in warm weather? Is there enough padding to cushion my feet?

      4) USABILITY AND PERFORMANCE: Do they feel soft and comfortable on my feet? Do they provide enough cushioning? Do the socks readily wick moisture away from my feet? When they get wet do they dry out fast? Do they smell after days of use?

      5) DURABILITY: How well do the socks hold up under constant, heavy use? Does the elastic hold up over time? What is their expected life span?

      OWNER REPORTS
      1) Western Mountaineering Highlite Sleeping Bag
      2) Safewater Anywhere Personal Water Filter
      3) GoLite Breeze Pack
      4) Oware 8x10 Flat Silnylon Tarp

      CURRENT TESTS
      1) Ibex Scull Cap
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Hats/Ibex%20Scull%20Cap/Will%20Rietveld/Field%20Report/

      2) Dunham Waffle Stomper Terrastryder Mid-Height Boot
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Boots/Dunham%20Waffle%20Stomper%20Terrastryder-Mid/Will%20Rietveld/Field%20Report/

      3) Integral Designs eVENT Rain Jacket
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Jackets/Integral%20Designs%20eVENT%20Rain%20Jacket/Will%20Rietveld/Field%20Report/

      4) Integral Designs eVENT Shortie Gaiters
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Rain%20Gear/Gaiters/Integral%20Designs%20eVENT%20Shortie%20Gaiters/Will%20Rietveld/Field%20Report/

      5) Spenco Backpacker Footbeds
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Footbeds%20and%20Insoles/Spenco%20OAS%20Backpacker/Will%20Rietveld/Initial%20Report/

      TESTS COMPLETED
      1) SealSkinz Gloves and Socks
      2) GoLite Trek Backpack
      3) Tarptent Squall
      4) Brasslite Turbo II-D Alcohol Stove
      5) Hot Chillys Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Baselayer
      6) Therm-a-Rest Prolite 3 Short Sleeping Pad
      7) Outdoor Research Sahara Cap
      8) IBEX Climacore Ribbed Woolies
      9) Ex Officio Buzz Off Lite LS Shirt and Convertible Pant
      10) Equinox Rainsuit
      11) Ibex Guide Lite Pant
      12) ULA Fusion Pack

      CURRENT MONITORING
      1) Big Agnes Parkview Tent

      CURRENT MENTORING
      One person-helping him complete his OR's