IR Toughstakes - DLarsen

  • vicioushillbilly
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2011
      Please find my IR. Thanks in advance for your edits. The url is: http://tinyurl.com/45q4e25

      Dawn

      Toughstakes

      Initial Report - 21 March 2011

      Name: Dawn Larsen
      Age: 50
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 4" (163 cm)
      Weight: 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email address: vicioushillbilly AT yahoo DOT com
      Florence, South Carolina USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I used to backpack in college a zillion years ago and just in the last few years have backpacked some private trails in Tennessee, Missouri and most recently South Carolina. I have been an avid car-camper for twelve years and I have kayak/canoe camped for five years, both in South Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri and Arkansas. I use a lot of the same equipment for both. I hike hilly/rocky trails especially in Missouri (my home state) and Arkansas. I live in South Carolina and am busy checking out the terrain here with my seventeen year-old son.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Toughstake
      Year of Manufacture: unknown
      Manufacturer's Website: www.toughstake.com
      MSRP: Small 4-pack - $19.99, medium 2-pack - $34.99, large 1-pack - $39.99
      Listed Stake Weight: small - 1.18 oz (33.5 g), medium 4.2 oz (19 g), large 7 oz (198 g)
      Listed cable weight: small - .19 oz (5.3 g), medium .88 oz (24.9 g), large .88 oz (24.9 g)
      Measured Weight: same as listed for all sizes
      Listed stake dimensions: Small 9 x 2.45 x .062 in (22.8 x 6.45 x .15 cm), medium 13.5 x 3.55 x .37 (listed as 3.7) in (31.3 x 9 x .09 cm), large 17.5 x 3.7 x .09 in (44.5 x 14.6 x .22 cm)
      Listed cable dimensions: Small 17 in (43.1 cm), .03 in diameter (.08 cm); medium 26.5 in (67.3 cm), .06 in diameter (.15 cm); large 26.5 in (67.3 cm), .06 in diameter (.15 cm)
      Stake material: 6061 T6 Aluminum
      Cable material: 7x7 stainless steel
      Stake color: Dark Satin Orange
      diagram
      image courtesy of website

      Initial Report

      Product Description
      Initially, I got a package with 8 small toughstakes and cabling, 4 medium toughstakes and cabling, a Toughstakes sticker and two pieces of literature about the stakes. About 5 days later, I got 1 large toughstake and cable in another package. In the first package, I also got an email from their president explaining what was in the package, what they work best for, how they should be used, as well as a web address to view instructional videos. According to the website:

      The small stake is recommended for
      * Small Tents
      * Small Awnings
      * Small Outfitter Wings
      * Beach Tents
      * Sand and Snow
      Medium is recommended for
      * Large Tent and Awnings
      * Large Outfitter Wings
      * Small Watercraft
      * Kite Flying and Kite Boarding
      * Beach Volleyball Nets
      * Sand and Snow Camping
      * Small and Medium Portable Antenna Anchoring
      Large is recommended for
      * Large Tent and Awnings
      * Large Outfitter Wings
      * Medium Watercraft
      * Kite Flying and Kite Boarding
      * Sand and Snow Camping
      * Medium and Large Portable
      Antenna Anchoring
      The videos on the website are very helpful. According to the website and videos, the shape of the stake is what makes it work. The wide end creates tension and allows the sand or snow to "do the heavy lifting." In the videos, they show why other stakes come out of sand/snow so easily. It makes sense to me.

      The instructions in the email state:
      For maximum holding force, tap the Toughstake into the sand, and continue to pull (cinch) the included guy line. By pulling on the guy line the slack of the line is taken up. You will see upward movement of the stake when pulling on the guy line. Keep pushing the stake into the sand until the top of the stake is even with the sand. This provides maximum holding force. For removal simply pull back on the guy line and remove the stake. These instructions were a little hard to follow. The videos and the diagram below makes it easier to understand.

      They also show on the stake with a diagram which flat side should face the tent. The website also gives instructions with diagrams (see below). The toggle end of the cable goes into the little slot at the wide end of the stake. On the video they say that the tent line attaches to the circular ring at the end of the cable. I like that they explain the instructions in this way (written) AND show a video. I tend to learn better by watching.

      instruction1instruction2instructions

      I think I can do this. The question is, will the stakes hold in sand in high winds?
      Summary
      These look simple enough to use. I hope they work like the website says they do. I wish there was a way to secure the cable to the stake. I'm afraid I will lose it.

      what I like
      The stakes are very lightweight.
      The stakes stack.

      what I don't like
      I hope I don't lose the cable.

      This concludes my initial report. Check back in a couple of months for my field report. Many thanks to Toughstakes and BackpackGearTest.org for providing the Toughstakes for testing.
    • Coy Boy
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2011
        Hi Dawn, enjoyed reading your report. Interesting item. No edits, just a couple of comments for you to consider.

        Coy Boy

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "vicioushillbilly" <vicioushillbilly@...> wrote:

        > Please find my IR. Thanks in advance for your edits. The url is: http://tinyurl.com/45q4e25
        > Cable material: 7x7 stainless steel

        comment: I know the websit says 7x7. Any idea what that is? Ok I did a google search.. seems to be a term for a certian size stainless steel cable. Im sure if anyone is curious they can look it up but no need to include as it is not really germaine to the report.

        The videos and the diagram below makes it easier to understand.

        Comment: I think I'd say the online videos and the diagrm below. The way it reads it sounds like there might be a video link or imbedded video below.

        > They also show on the stake with a diagram which flat side should face the tent.

        Comment: I'd use illustrate in place of show.
      • Coy Boy
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2011
          Forgot to add Edit to subject line, see previous post for edit.

          CB