Application: Ground Terra Women's Jacket: Heather

  • Heather
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2005
      Application to Test Women's Ground Terra Jacket

      August 31, 2005

      Please accept my application to test Ground Terra Fleece Jacket. I
      have read the Survival guide 1202 and in particular chapter 5 and
      agree to follow all guidelines within. I have sent Shane my tester
      agreement (reprocessed 3/3/05) and will abide by all rules therein.

      If chosen for this test I would like to try the fleece in a size
      medium, and with the lightest colors possible such as the
      Shale/Silver.

      Tester Info:

      Name: Heather Oakes Palmer
      Age: 28
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'5" (1.68 m)
      Weight: 140 lbs (64 kg)
      Email address: alekto-at-yahoo.com
      City, State, Country: Atlanta, GA, United States

      Backpacking Background: I consider myself an intermediate hiker and
      beginning backpacker for over five years; my longest backpacking
      trip being only three nights. Day hiking and weekend backpacking
      comprise most of my weekend warrior experience averaging one
      backpacking trip per month and two day hikes per month averaging
      between 10-15 miles (16.1- 24.2 km) per day. I tend to backpack in
      warm, humid climates, with a good amount of hiking in the southern
      Appalachian Mountains and I have rarely hiked in below freezing or
      snowy conditions yet. I am a lightweight backpacker and buy my gear
      accordingly.

      Field Conditions:

      If chosen I could test the fleece during daily city travel, day
      hikes, car camping, and overnight backpacking trips primarily in the
      Georgia and North Carolina Mountains. I would use the jacket as an
      outer layer in the late summer at night, and during fall and winter
      both day and night. The average elevations I will be hiking in range
      from 2000 – 5500 ft (610-1676 m) and late summer/fall weather will
      fluctuate wildly with temperatures from the 50's- high 90's F (10-
      32 C) during the day, and maybe as low as 40 F (4 C) at night up in
      the higher elevations. Winter weather can host ideal hypothermia
      conditions as the temperatures can drop to the 20's F (-6 C)
      overnight, and I could see rain, ice, and snow flurries in one day.
      In October, I plan on taking a week long trip to Arizona where I
      will both car-camp and backpack in various areas for 4 to 5 nights
      total. The plans have not been finalized but some of the kinds of
      environments we are looking at vary from riparian canyons, sub-
      alpine forests, and two different types of desert. The altitudes
      will range from 2600 – 9000+ ft (792-2743 m) with temperatures from
      the 20's-90's F (-6 - 32 C). I could run into ice or snow at higher
      elevations and will be able to test this jacket in those conditions.

      Test Background:

      Not having experience in real snow or very cold conditions, my
      cool/cold weather layering system consists of up to four total
      layers beginning with a tank/sports bra, a short-sleeved or long-
      sleeved lightweight moisture wicking shirt, a Marmot DriClime
      windshirt, and finally a light rain shell on top if it is raining or
      really cold. All of these layers are lightweight making every one of
      them count. I also rely on hat, gloves, rain pants, and gaiters for
      added warmth if needed. I am always looking for multi-use items and
      judging by the cut and colors of this fleece, I could wear this for
      city use during the fall nights and winter season and satisfy my
      need to not wear a scary green thing like my Marmot DriClime.

      Test Plan:

      Technical stuff:
      - How well does it keep me dry?
      - When the weather I hike in can change in five feet, I'd like
      to test how fast this jacket dries out.

      Comfort:
      - Is it breathable?
      - How stretchy is it? Especially in the underarm, neck, and
      waist areas.
      - Does it help me feel warm as an outer layer in cool weather
      and an inner layer in colder weather?
      - Is it wind resistant as well?
      - How does the fleece feel against my skin?
      - Since I often use extra layers as a pillow, will the fabric
      feel itchy or irritate my face?

      Fit:
      - Is this jacket really cut for a woman? Will there be more
      room in the front of the chest area, and over the hips?
      - Will there be room enough for layers underneath? How many
      layers can I use, as I plan to test with up to three more
      layers?
      - Will the sleeves be long enough or too long? Will they roll
      up easily?
      - How far will the fleece cover my torso and rear?
      - Will the collar be too high or too low?
      - How will the fleece fit when wearing day packs or large
      backpacks? Will it ride up over the hip belt or get stuck
      under it?

      Ease of Use:
      - Do I need a manual to figure out how to put it on?
      - Will the zipper be easy to use with one hand?
      - How big is the pocket and how easily accessible? How
      accessible when wearing a pack?

      Packability:
      - How heavy is it?
      - How well does it pack down?

      Durability:
      - How strong are the seams?
      - Will the zipper get stuck or rusty in the rain or cold?
      - Will the area around the wrists show strain or damage from
      rolling up, or removing the fleece?
      - What are the washing instructions? Can I put it in a machine
      or will it be washed by hand?
      - Will washing cause strain on the seams?
      - Will the colors run or fade in the wash?
      - How easy will the fabric pull or pill after washings or
      close encounters with brush?

      Tests:

      Currently Testing: Teva Steep XCR Trail Runners, Spectrum Brands
      Advanced Insect Repellant

      Completed Tests: Lipsmackin' Vegetarian Backpackin' Cookbook,
      Outdoor Research Celestial Gaiters

      Owner Reviews: Marmot DriClime Windshirt, Ex Officio Bikini Briefs,
      Montrail Hurricane Ridge XCR