APPLICATION - Columbia Peak 2 Peak - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2011
      1. Please accept my application to test the Columbia Peak 2 Peak Jacket. I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapters 4 and 5 and will comply with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the minimum expected use requirements and plan to use the jacket more than the required time.

      ------
      2. Bio
      Name: Brett Haydin
      Age: 38
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      Weight: 195 lb (88.50 kg)
      Email: bhaydin AT hotmail DOT com
      Location: Salida, Colorado USA

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking in Wisconsin as a youth, being involved in the Boy Scouts programs. As a young adult, I worked at a summer camp leading backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking trips. I now generally take short weekend or day trips in rough, mountainous terrain, although I have extensive experience in the upper Midwest as well. I take one or two longer trips each year, where I typically carry about 40 lb (18 kg). I prefer to be prepared and comfortable, but I have taken lightweight trips as well.

      ------
      3. Test Plan
      Over the next four months (March to June) I have several backpacking trips planned including trips to the Black Gunnison and Rocky Mountain National Parks. I�ll likely see a mix of conditions from snow and below freezing temperatures to rain and warm temps; it is transitioning from winter to spring to summer after all. A number of planned trips will include trips above tree line and over 14,000 ft (4,270 m). I currently use a 3-layer Gore-Tex jacket on many of my trips so I am interested if other fabrics are lighter than my current jacket. I will comment on the jacket�s ability to keep me dry as well as breathability. I am also curious to see how the pockets work with the Invizzip system. How easy are the zippers to operate with gloves as well?

      ------
      4. Current Tests and Stage (3):
      - Sunday Afternoons Eclipse Cap (LTR due 4/5/11)
      - Wenger Xpedition Mid Boots (LTR due 4/19/11)
      -Bridgford Sandwiches (LTR due 5/23/11)

      Test Status page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1823.htm

      -----
      5. Owner reviews in past year: 1

      -----
      6. Other Applications Pending (0):
      -----
      7. Monitor Duties: (1)
      - Princeton Tec Byte Headlamp

    • Stick
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2011
        Application to test the Columbia Peak 2 Peak Men's Jacket
        For Chad Poindexter

        March 7th, 2011

        Please accept my application to test the Columbia Peak 2 Peak Men's
        Jacket. I have read, and agree to, the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws
        v.0609 that are laid out in Chapter 5, as well as the Survival Guide and
        other corresponding text. My tester agreement is on file.

        Tester Information:
        Name: Chad Poindexter
        Age: 33
        Gender: Male
        City: Corinth
        State: Mississippi
        Country: USA
        Email address: stick1377 (AT) gmail (DOT) com

        Backpacking Background:
        I love backpacking! However, with only 1 ½ years under my belt thus
        far, I would still consider myself a little green to it all, so to
        say… Initially I started out with heavy gear, but since have gone
        lighter, although I still use a little of it all. I have gone from tent
        to tarp, canister stove to alcohol stove, sleeping bag to quilt and
        quite happily from synthetic to down. All of my hiking so far has been
        in the South Eastern region of the United States, and up to this point
        has been with friends or family.

        Field Conditions:
        All of my hiking is done at local state parks in the Southeast US as
        well as throughout the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, also in the
        Southeast US. And now that spring is in the air we will definitely have
        our share of spring showers, and with the quickly rising temps, there
        will surely be high humidities. I will be on maintained trails during
        all of my hikes, although some of the trails are not all that well
        maintained... I will be on trips that range from day hikes to trips
        lasting up to 3 days at a time.

        Test Plan:
        If chosen for this test my first goal will be to test its ability to
        shed water. Immediately after this I will be paying close attention to
        the jackets ability to breathe, or ventilate. Of course by doing this I
        will pay attention to how well and easily the features of the jacket
        work, specifically the pit zips in order to properly ventilate.
        Of course fit is an important feature. We will still have chilly
        mornings that will turn to warm afternoons, so I will pay close
        attention to how well the jacket fits/feels while layered over a
        midlayer, and then simply over a baselayer. I will report on how the
        jacket feels while wearing next to skin as this is important to me. I
        will also report on how well the articulated elbows actually work, and
        allow a wide range of unrestricted movement.
        And of course I will report on how the jacket does under a pack. Am I
        able to use the pockets or will the hip belts on my pack cover them up?
        Can I still move around freely while wearing the jacket under a pack?
        And of course, how does the jacket hold up under the weight of a pack...

        I am not currently testing any items.

        My Tester Statistics Page is here:
        Testser Stats Page <http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1873.htm>

        I have completed 19 Owner Reviews and 5 test series in the last year.
        They can be found here:
        Review Page <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Stick13>

        Other test series applied for:
        None

        If chosen for this test series I would require a size Large, and if
        given the choice would like the color Red Hot.

        I am excited to have the opportunity to apply for the Columbia Peak 2
        Peak jacket test series and hope that I will be chosen to participate in
        this test. I would like to thank Columbia and Backpackgeartest.org for
        this opportunity.

        Chad Poindexter
        "Stick"