Application: Ground eVent Repel Shell: Heather

  • Heather
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2005
      I would kill for a good rain shell. If not, I'll just have to go to
      REI then. :)

      --------------

      Application to Test Ground Repel Shell

      August 31, 2005

      Please accept my application to test Ground eVent Repel Shell. I
      have read the Survival guide 1202 and in particular chapter 5 and
      agree to follow all guidelines within. I have sent Shane my tester
      agreement (reprocessed 3/3/05) and will abide by all rules therein.

      If chosen for this test I would like to try the shell in a size
      large, and with the lightest colors possible such as the
      Larkspur/Blue Ice.

      Tester Info:
      Name: Heather Oakes Palmer
      Age: 28
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'5" (1.68 m)
      Weight: 140 lbs (64 kg)
      Email address: alekto-at-yahoo.com
      City, State, Country: Atlanta, GA, United States

      Backpacking Background: I consider myself an intermediate hiker and
      beginning backpacker for over five years; my longest backpacking
      trip being only three nights. Day hiking and weekend backpacking
      comprise most of my weekend warrior experience averaging one
      backpacking trip per month and two day hikes per month averaging
      between 10-15 miles (16.1- 24.2 km) per day. I tend to backpack in
      warm, humid climates, with a good amount of hiking in the southern
      Appalachian Mountains and I have rarely hiked in below freezing or
      snowy conditions yet. I am a lightweight backpacker and buy my gear
      accordingly.

      Field Conditions:

      If chosen, I could test the shell anytime it is raining in the city,
      day hikes, car camping, and overnight backpacking trips in the
      Georgia and North Carolina Mountains. I would use the jacket as an
      outer layer in the fall and winter to keep me warm regardless of
      precipitation. The average elevations I will be hiking in will range
      from 2000 – 5500 ft (610-1676 m) and late summer/fall weather will
      fluctuate wildly with temperatures from the 50's- high 90's F (10-
      32 C) during the day, and maybe as low as 40 F (4 C) at night up in
      the higher elevations. Winter weather can host ideal hypothermia
      conditions as the temperatures can drop to the 20's F (-6 C), and I
      could see rain, ice, and snow flurries in one day. Since there is no
      dry season in Georgia I could test this rain shell at any time. In
      October, I plan on taking a week long trip to Arizona where I will
      both car-camp and backpack in various areas for 4 to 5 nights total.
      The plans have not been finalized but some of the kinds of
      environments we are looking at vary from riparian canyons, sub-
      alpine forests, and two different types of desert. The altitudes
      will range from 2600 – 9000+ ft (792-2743 m) with temperatures from
      the 20's-90's F (-6 - 32 C). While it will likely not rain in
      Arizona, I could run into ice or snow at higher elevations and will
      be able to test the layering capabilities as the shell could be used
      as an outer layer.

      Test Background:

      I currently use a Regatta brand light shell I bought in Scotland a
      few years ago. It is very basic, having only a hood and sealed
      seams. The hood is not very large or adjustable often sending water
      running down my face into the shell. The lack of hood coverage also
      causes my glasses to either need windshield wipers and/or be
      constantly fogged up. It does not breathe, making it unbearable
      during the summer and dangerous during the winter. It is also made
      for men, fitting me too tightly around the hips with extra shoulder
      room that bunches up under the straps of my pack.

      In Georgia, it can rain every day regardless of the season. During
      the summer, which lasts until October, it will probably rain every
      day around 5pm when I am leaving work. During the fall and winter,
      the rain starts becoming very cold and unpleasant before possibly
      turning into ice or wimpy snow. Then we have the all-season mist of
      the Appalachians, the mist that keeps me slightly damp even when not
      raining. I was lucky last winter in that I only had a cold for a
      week when my raingear did not keep me dry and I would very much like
      to test this shell that looks just about perfect for me from the
      website information.

      Test Plan:

      Technical stuff:
      - How well does it keep me dry?
      - Will condensation accumulate on the inside of the shell?
      - Will the hood extend far enough to keep my glasses fairly
      dry so I can see?
      - Will the hood and chin guard prevent water from dribbling
      into the shell?
      - Will the adjustable draw cord on the bottom and the Velcro
      around the hands keep water out?
      - When the weather I hike in can change in five feet, I'd like
      to test how fast this shell dries.

      Comfort:
      - Is it breathable?
      - Does it feel too heavy and hot?
      - Does it help me feel warm as an outer layer?
      - Is it wind resistant as well?
      - Are the vents helpful in keeping me dry and cool or dry and
      warm?
      - Is this shell really cut for a woman? Will there be more
      room in the front of the chest area, and over the hips?
      - Will there be room enough for layers underneath? How many
      layers can I use, as I plan to test with up to three more
      layers?

      Ease of Use:
      - Do I need a manual to figure out how to put it on?
      - I am especially interested in the hood, how easy is it to
      adjust?
      - How easy will it be to get my hands in and out of the
      pockets and core vents?
      - How easy is it to adjust the vents?
      - The "Go with" system is very interesting, how easy will that
      be to use?

      Packability:
      - How heavy is it?
      - How well does it pack down?
      - How well does the "Go With" system integrate into my current
      pack system?
      - How well would it integrate with a day pack, or work on its
      own?

      Durability:
      - How strong are the seams? Are they sealed well?
      - Will the zippers get stuck or rusty in the rain?
      - Will the seams attaching the hood show signs of stress or
      break after several adjustments?
      - Will the area around the wrists show strain or damage from
      rolling up, or removing the shell?
      - Will the bottom hem draw cord get stuck, bunched up,
      or `lost'?
      - What are the washing instructions? Can I put it in a machine
      or will it be washed by hand? Will washing cause strain on
      the seams or seals?
      - How strong is the "Go With" system, will the strap and
      pocket show signs of damage from repeated adjustment?

      Tests:

      Currently Testing: Teva Steep XCR Trail Runners, Spectrum Brands
      Advanced Insect Repellant

      Completed Tests: Lipsmackin' Vegetarian Backpackin' Cookbook,
      Outdoor Research Celestial Gaiters

      Owner Reviews: Marmot DriClime Windshirt, Ex Officio Bikini Briefs,
      Montrail Hurricane Ridge XCR