LTR - DTV Poppy Gall Socks - Daignault

  • cdaignault
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2011
      Thanks for the edits! Love these socks -- please send more.

      -- Chari

      HTML version: http://tinyurl.com/4nyhu63

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Locations, conditions and weather during the Long Term testing period were similar to the Field Report. However, we had little to no rain, as this is our dry season in Central Florida. My first pair of socks were worn just over 70 miles (113 km) during this time on approximately 21 separate day hikes of 3 to 4 miles (4.8 km - 6.4 km) each, and one 4 mile (6.4 km) trail run in 76 F (24.4 C) weather. They were also worn to the office several times and on walks with the dogs through our community.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      These socks are very durable! During the testing period, they've shown no more wear or tear than they did during the Field Testing phase. I tried to wash them more often this time, wearing them no more than twice between washings. I threw them in the drier after each washing and they always came out soft and did not shrink. They are so comfortable when on; they have excellent cushioning and they seem to hug my feet.

      I still have not been able to discern any scent or smell on them, even after hot, sweaty hikes. There are no mud stains on them and they have not pilled at all. The colors are still vibrant and the designs are still sharp and clear. Even after extended use, they fit well and don't stretch out.

      Another good thing -- I still have one more pair to break in!

      SUMMARY

      Basically, I love these socks. I'd love to have several pair; maybe in a more "quiet" style -- less design, with a softer color palette so I could wear them with a wider variety of clothing.

      PROS
      Soft
      Durable
      Cushioned
      Breathable
      Warm

      CONS
      None

      This concludes my Long Term Report. Many thanks to Darn Tough Vermont and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test these socks!
    • Lori
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2011
        HTML: http://tinyurl.com/4f5d8mh

        I did a little editing on some of the previous report, since I
        noticed I was inconsistent in a couple of terms I was using from one
        report to the next.

        LTR:

        LONG TERM REPORT
        FIELD LOCATIONS/CONDITIONS

        January 9, 2011 - Mariposa Grove, Yosemite National Park, California.
        Ambient temperatures 30 - 40 F (-1 - 4 C). Elevation: about 5,600 -
        6,800 feet (1707 - 2073 m). Clear skies, slight breeze.

        January 22, 2011 - Tokopah Falls, Sequoia National Park, California.
        Ambient temperatures 30 - 35 F (-1 - 1.7 C). Elevation: about 7,000 -
        7,200 feet (2134 - 2195 m). Cloudy, still day.

        February 26 - 27, 2011 - Ohlone Wilderness, Mission Peak/Sunol/Del
        Valle Regional Parks, San Francisco Bay Area, California. Ambient
        temperatures 28 - 40 F (-2.21 - 4 C). Elevation: 390 - 3,817 feet
        (119 - 1163 m). Partial cloud cover, slight breeze.

        FIELD PERFORMANCE

        In January, I took the stove on two snowshoe outings with my hiking
        group, to prepare hot beverages for our lunch break. I experimented
        with melting snow and used closed cell foam disks cut from an old
        sleeping pad as a base for the stove and canister. The foam provided
        some insulation from the snow below (and kept my stove on top of the
        many feet of snow!) while it was operating. It became obvious that
        temperature does have a significant effect on the operation of the
        EtaPackLite, but as this is a common problem with canister stoves I
        expected this. It took longer to boil water. I also tried to melt
        snow with the second pot of water, which takes a lot of energy! We
        all enjoyed hot drinks and the stove operated without sputtering or
        failing. On the second outing to Tokopah Falls the piezo igniter
        actually worked for me, both times I started the stove. Each trip saw
        a slight increase in fuel consumption, of about an ounce more per
        trip. Total fuel used was about 3 oz. (85 g) per trip, for two full
        pots of water plus some snow melting duty.

        Image - stove in the snow
        In February, following a period of rainy weather and temperature
        drops, I went backpacking in the Ohlone Wilderness, a low elevation
        trail through a series of parks in the San Francisco Bay Area. I
        spent the night at the backpacker campground in Sunol Regional Park
        and woke to frost and ice. The stove performed as it had on the
        snowshoe outings, with increased burn time to achieve a boil. While
        in use there was a slow dropoff in performance; the normal roar at
        half-strength slowly dwindled. Inverting the canister increased the
        burner output and diminished boil time. Total usage of fuel was 1.5
        ounces (43 g) per my post - trip weighing of the canister. I had
        intended to do some more cooking with the pot on this trip, but some
        last minute changes en route led me to cut the outing from two nights
        to one, resulting in the second day being 17 miles (27 km) of hauling
        onward rather than the previously planned leisurely hike.

        SUMMARY

        In thinking about how this stove has performed for me, I can only
        come up with a couple of things that I found less than ideal. The
        piezo igniter is still inconsistent enough that I carry a lighter
        anyway. And, on the last couple of trips, I've had to reposition one
        of the pot supports repeatedly, as somewhere along the way it's lost
        the ability to stay put; the slightest jostle swings it askew unless
        I have the windscreen in place to stabilize it. Each of these is a
        nuisance, but not really affecting the performance of the stove.

        The performance of the stove has been excellent, within expected
        limitations common to all canister stoves, such as decreased
        efficiency in cold weather and the inconsistent piezo igniter. The
        stove is stable, easy to use, and easy to pack. The bowls are
        convenient for use as serving dishes and protect the components of
        the stove well. This is an excellent setup for trips where I am less
        concerned about weight and sharing gear with others, and for some
        simple cooking beyond just boiling water.

        I have enjoyed taking this on my group trips. While I will likely
        still use a lighter alcohol stove setup for longer outings where I am
        only boiling water, the EtaPackLite will see plenty of use in the
        future on group hikes or campouts. My thanks to Primus and to
        Backpack Gear Test for the opportunity to test the EtaPackLite.
      • woodswoman
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2011
          Lori,
          Nice summary...no edits! Please upload and delete test file.

          Gail

          HTML: http://tinyurl.com/4f5d8mh

        • ftroop94
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2011
            Chari,

            It looks good. I only have one suggestion:

            <<< and one 4 mile (6.4 km) trail run in 76 F (24.4 C) weather.
            Edit: I typically see rounding, so I'd suggest (24 C)

            It was great working with you on this one. Be sure to delete the test file. See you down the trail!

            Steve

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "cdaignault" <chari.daignault@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the edits! Love these socks -- please send more.
            >
            > -- Chari
            >

            > HTML version: http://tinyurl.com/4nyhu63
            >
            > LONG-TERM REPORT
            >
            > LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS
            >
            > Locations, conditions and weather during the Long Term testing period were similar to the Field Report. However, we had little to no rain, as this is our dry season in Central Florida. My first pair of socks were worn just over 70 miles (113 km) during this time on approximately 21 separate day hikes of 3 to 4 miles (4.8 km - 6.4 km) each, and one 4 mile (6.4 km) trail run in 76 F (24.4 C) weather. They were also worn to the office several times and on walks with the dogs through our community.
            >

            > PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD
            >
            > These socks are very durable! During the testing period, they've shown no more wear or tear than they did during the Field Testing phase. I tried to wash them more often this time, wearing them no more than twice between washings. I threw them in the drier after each washing and they always came out soft and did not shrink. They are so comfortable when on; they have excellent cushioning and they seem to hug my feet.
            >
            > I still have not been able to discern any scent or smell on them, even after hot, sweaty hikes. There are no mud stains on them and they have not pilled at all. The colors are still vibrant and the designs are still sharp and clear. Even after extended use, they fit well and don't stretch out.
            >
            > Another good thing -- I still have one more pair to break in!
            >

            > SUMMARY
            >
            > Basically, I love these socks. I'd love to have several pair; maybe in a more "quiet" style -- less design, with a softer color palette so I could wear them with a wider variety of clothing.
            >
            > PROS
            > Soft
            > Durable
            > Cushioned
            > Breathable
            > Warm
            >
            > CONS
            > None
            >
            > This concludes my Long Term Report. Many thanks to Darn Tough Vermont and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test these socks!

          • loripontious
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2011
              Thanks, Gail. All done. And thanks for working with me on my first test series.

              Lori

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2011
                Thanks!! Made the edit and uploaded, file deleted. :)

                Take care,

                -- Chari