LTR- High Sierra - Sentinel Backpack - Brett Haydin

  • campbretter
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2011
      Mike, Below is my LTR for the Sentinel. THanks in advance for any edits you may have for me! Html is at http://tinyurl.com/4cdgjaa

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Over the past two months I have been able to add two more trips, both overnight trips, to my test experience in addition to one more day hike. This bring my total use to 6 nights backpacking and 14 total days of use in the backcountry.

      My first trip was an overnight hike to Mt Shavano in the San Isabel National Forest. With warm temperatures around 40 F (4 C) and clear skies it was a great time to be in the backcountry. Elevations ranged from 9,500 to over 14,000 ft (2,900 to 4,300 m) with alpine and rocky conditions as well as snow covered trails.

      My final trip was to Sand Creek Lakes in the San Isabel National Forest (Colorado). Temperatures were cold with highs only at 30 F (-1 C) and overnight lows near 10 F (-12 C). THis was a brutal hike since the trail was, well hardly a trail; mostly snow covered. Elevations ranged from about 10,000 to 12,000 ft (3,000 to 3,700 m).

      My day hike was very mild with good weather and a well formed snow-packed trail.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The first order of business in the test period was to contact customer service about the broken sternum strap. The staff were polite and quite helpful. In the end, I decided not to send in the pack for repair (which they offered) because I had some trips coming up. To be frank, there is still a piece of elastic so it is still functional. I have not noticed any further problems with this part of the pack.

      The chest straps have continued to slip throughout the test period which has been a slight disappointment. None of the other straps have had this problem. I know that I have a slightly heavier load at about 45 lb (21 kg) but it a nuisance to have to adjust the straps about every 20 to 30 minutes. I have otherwise found the pack to be exceptionally comfortable! The padding is in all the right spots and the load sits well.

      I think my favorite aspect of this pack are the placement of the compartments. I wasn't sure how I would like a top load pack again, but the pocket on the front makes for a great compromise. I have easy access to small essentials without having to dig in the main compartment on the trail. Additionally, the daisy chain and gear loops make for an ideal winter pack with my current gear. I have just enough places to attach items without getting carried away.

      It hasn't rained at all over my test, however there has been a little snow on and off. I used the pack cover to get an idea of its usefulness and it works wonderfully. There was enough room to go around the excess gear stashed on the outside (tent stakes and a sleeping pad for that trip) but was snug enough not to look clumsy.

      In my initial report I made some comments on the hip belt and I would like to follow up on this. The stiffness of the strap is still there, but it has loosened up some. I do find the padding is a bit on the bulky side for my tastes. Because my waist is at the lower limits of the range for this pack, it has been helpful to use the pack in the winter when I have more layers on. To be fair, even with a t-shirt and shorts, the pack fits me.

      SUMMARY

      Looking over my notes over the past four months, my likes and dislikes remain the same. The pack is comfortable, has well planned space management features, bears a load well and the pack cover and accessories are handy.

      I was not impressed with the amount the chest straps slipped. While the sternum strap broke, or at least a portion of it, the company was willing to fix this for me and all other aspects of the pack have met my expectations in terms of durability.

      Because of the layout of compartments, I plan to keep this pack as my primary pack for the winter and some of the shoulder months on either end. I would like to thank High Sierra Sport Company as well as the folks at for allowing me to be a part of this test series.
    • the_fish_guy
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2011
        Brett,

        Great report! Below are your edits, and you¡¦re good to upload. Thanks for a great test series, I hope to get to work with you again soon!

        Mike C.

        Over the past two months I have been able to add two more trips, both overnight
        trips, to my test experience in addition to one more day hike. This bring my
        total use to 6 nights backpacking and 14 total days of use in the backcountry.

        EDIT: This brings my total

        My first trip was an overnight hike to Mt Shavano in the San Isabel National
        Forest.

        EDIT: Mt. Shavano

        <SNIP>

        THis was a brutal hike since the trail was, well hardly a trail; mostly snow covered. Elevations ranged from about 10,000 to 12,000 ft (3,000 to 3,700 m).

        EDIT: This

        My day hike was very mild with good weather and a well formed snow-packed trail.

        <SNIP>

        The chest straps have continued to slip throughout the test period which has
        been a slight disappointment.

        EDIT: I would use shoulder straps (instead of chest) to be consistent with common usage and your field report.

        <SNIP>

        I think my favorite aspect of this pack are the placement of the compartments.

        EDIT: is the placement . . .

        I wasn't sure how I would like a top load pack again, but the pocket on the front
        makes for a great compromise. I have easy access to small essentials without
        having to dig in the main compartment on the trail. Additionally, the daisy
        chain and gear loops make for an ideal winter pack with my current gear. I have
        just enough places to attach items without getting carried away.

        Comment: I had to chuckle about ¡§getting carried away¡¨ . . . if you give me enough lashing points, and I guarantee you I¡¦ll look like a hobo by the end of a trip . . . ƒº

        <SNIP>

        Because of the layout of compartments, I plan to keep this pack as my primary
        pack for the winter and some of the shoulder months on either end.

        EDIT: I believe you meant summer months. ļ
        I would like to thank High Sierra Sport Company as well as the folks at for allowing me to be
        a part of this test series.

        EDIT: I believe you meant to say the folks at BackpackGearTest.org

        <END>
      • Brett Haydin
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11, 2011
          THanks for the edits, Mike! It was a pleasure working with you on this series. :) I don't generally like to look like a hobo; in fact my favorite day pack at the moment is the Black Diamond Octane, which is super sleek. Of course, I had to get a little creative taking it overnight :P

          Anyway, changes made and uploaded. See you around!

          Brett Haydin

          "Teamwork: It's amazing how much
          can be accomplished when no one
          cares who gets the credit."