LTR-CamelBak Antidote reservoir-Chad Fike

  • cfike72
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2011
      Here's my Long Term Report for the CamelBak Antidote Reservoir. Also posted here: http://tinyurl.com/632jwrr

      CAMELBAK ANTIDOTE
      TEST SERIES BY CHAD EMERSON FIKE
      LTR
      March 01, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Chad Emerson Fike
      EMAIL: chadfike"at"hotmail"dot"com
      AGE: 38
      LOCATION: Oakland, Maryland USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 150 lb (68.00 kg)

      I have gone camping, usually very close to home, since my teens but only started seriously backpacking around age 30. I do mostly weekend trips and often take dayhikes. My backpacking experience has been mostly in West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia, including parts of the Appalachian Trail. Each trip has been a learning experience about techniques and equipment. I try to balance weight, durability, and cost with my gear choices.

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Long term testing of the CamelBak Antidote reservoir took place in the forested terrain of the Appalachian Mountains including Herrington Manor State Park, Swallow Falls State Park, Mt. Nebo Wildlife Management Area and Potomac-Garrett State Forest in Maryland and the Monongahela National Forest and Whitegrass Ski Touring Center in West Virginia. Elevations ranged from around 2500 to 4400 ft (762 to 1341 m). Cold and snowy winter conditions were prevalent during most of the test period. The Antidote was used cross country skiing 24 times and during two dayhikes of 5.2 and 3.8 miles. Most of the ski trips were after-work evening trips of about an hour in length while some longer trips were taken on the weekends. Nearly all of the skiing occurred in temperatures well below freezing with a low of 10 F (-12 C). The dayhikes and a handful of late season ski trips occurred in warmer temperatures as high as 50 F (10 C).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The CamelBak Antidote continued to perform well during this final phase of testing. I really like the redesigned fill port. It takes all the guess work out of closing the cap: once I lined up the arrows and gave the cap a quarter turn I was confident I would have no leaks. Even if the Antidote had no other new features, this redesign makes the Antidote much better than its predecessors. The bite valve and disconnect also remained leak-free.

      I still have not experienced any problems with mold or aftertaste with the Antidote even though the reservoir sometimes sat for a few days between cleanings. I continued to carry mostly water, but occasionally used sports drink. I used a long handled brush from a reservoir cleaning kit to clean inside the reservoir and on one occasion I removed the bite valve and used a small flexible cleaning brush inside the drink tube. I like the small foldable dryer arms but the reservoir rarely dried out all the way before I used it next.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "AREA OF SLIGHT WEAR">>I have not experienced any durability problems during the course of testing. The only real sign of wear is on on the keeper that connects the cap to the main part of the fill port. Although worn, the keeper still holds the cap in place. Otherwise the Antidote still looks nearly the same as it did when it arrived.

      Here are some other random observations: I found the angled bite valve to be somewhat tricky to maneuver through the small hydration ports of some of my packs. By disconnecting the tube I found it much easier to guide the opposite end through first and then reconnect it to the bladder. I still had some problems with the bite valve and tube freezing in cold temperatures. I did not test this, but with the detachable tube it would now be possible to remove the tube to try and thaw it out if necessary. I never needed to fill the reservoir all the way; at the most I filled it with 2 liters. The ounce and liter increments stamped on the outside of the Antidote were easy to read and helped when filling the reservoir. I did not use the UnBottle reservoir holder during this phase of testing.

      SUMMARY

      Overall I have been extremely pleased with the Antidote. Most importantly there were no leaks. Additionally, the redesigned fill port and detachable drink tube are well thought out improvements. I did not notice any real difference from the interior baffle. The integrated dryer arms are a clever feature but I still had a hard time getting the interior of the reservoir to dry completely.

      CONTINUED USE

      I expect to continue using the Antidote as my primary reservoir when hiking or backpacking. It functions well and has some useful upgrades compared to other reservoirs I own. I usually avoid reservoirs altogether during shorter cold weather ski trips due to the tendency of the reservoir tube to freeze. A 2 liter reservoir would be sufficient for most of my needs.

      This concludes my Long Term Report on the CamelBak Antidote Reservoir. Thanks to CamelBak and BackpackGearTest.Org for the opportunity to test this product.

      Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.
    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2011
        Hi Chad,

        Thanks for getting your LTR in early. The pic and the link at the top work fine. Just found a couple little things for you so get those sorted and you're good to upload. It's been a pleasure.
        Edits, comments or suggestions are listed below marked with ## below a snip of your words.

        Safe hiking,
        Jamie D
        Monitor – CamelBak Antidote Monitor

        The bite valve and disconnect also remained leak-free.
        ## Suggestion – Would you please add a bit more to this sentence? As the reader I'm not entirely sure what the "disconnect" is.

        The only real sign of wear is on on the keeper that connects the cap to the main part of the fill port
        ##-Edit – you have one extra "on" in this sentence.