Application - Benchmade Bone Collector Knife - Ben Mansfield

  • Ben Mansfield
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2011
      Please accept my application to test the Benchmade 15000 Bone
      Collector Knife. I have read and agree to comply with the
      BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws, v. 0609 with special attention paid to
      Chapter 5 and the new test format. My tester agreement is on file.

      Name: Ben Mansfield
      Age: 33
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6’0” (1.8 m)
      Weight: 170 lbs (77 kg)
      e-mail Address: benmansfield27 AT gmail DOT com
      City, State, Country: North Ridgeville, OH, USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I have been hiking and backpacking for well over 15 years, and in that
      time I have hiked many sections of the Appalachian Trail, along with
      some longer trips all over the US and Eastern Canada. My normal
      stomping grounds are western Pennsylvania and Southern Ohio, and I
      have backpacked nearly all of the North Country Trail as it runs
      through Pennsylvania. I consider myself a mid-weight hiker, but
      trending with the rest of the community towards a lighter load. My
      typical base pack weight (no food, no water) is around 20 lbs (9 kg)
      or a little less, and doesn’t vary much with the seasons.

      Field Information:

      Due to work and home schedules, my trips are often planned at the last
      minute (well, the week before anyway). However, my usual destinations
      are in the Allegheny National Forest in Northwestern Pennsylvania /
      Southwestern New York state. I also backpack many of the overnight
      loop trails in Ohio's state parks and forests. On occasion, I'll
      venture into West Virginia or further south and if I have a longer
      weekend, I'll head to the Appalachian Trail somewhere along the
      eastern seaboard.

      Test Plan:
      Though I wouldn't describe myself as a Bear Grylls wanna-be, a knife
      is a critical piece of gear for me. Despite my attempts to go lighter
      weight with my gear, a sturdy, reliable knife is one of those pieces
      of kit that I won't go without. I use my knife for all sorts of
      tasks, and this Benchmade tool will be no different. Typical uses for
      me include cutting and preparing food, preparing dry kindling for a
      fire, lancing blisters and other first aid tasks, and occasional gear
      repair and use tasks such as cutting cord or rope. In the spring and
      summer, I also occasionally take along a small fly rod to fish for
      backcountry trout,
      and on the rare occasion that I'm successful I'd use the knife to
      prepare my catch for dinner. I'm also very good at taking care of my
      knives, ensuring that these critical tools are clean and sharp. In
      additional to camp use, I'll report on how well the knife takes and
      holds an edge, how easy it is to clean and maintain, and how packable
      it is.

      Previously Written Reports:

      Outstanding Applications:

      Current Tests: