Application - Benchmade Bone Collector - Mike Mosack

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2011
      Please accept my application to test the Benchmade 15000 Bone Collector Caping Fixed Knife.

      I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapter 5 and will comply with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the expected use requirements.

      Biographical Information:
      Name: Michael Mosack
      Age: 47
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'01" (1.85 m)
      Weight: 236.0 lbs (107.0 kg)
      Email Address: mosack at earthlink dot net
      San Diego, California, USA and Afghanistan

      Date: Mar 01, 2011

      My Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping in Michigan, Canada California and Grand Canyon, Arizona to Afghanistan and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I prefer to go lighter whenever possible and am always trying new items. Quality and reliability of items I carry are paramount to me over price and weight.

      Testing plan: I rely on my knife more than any other tool. I use it for almost any task I might need to complete. My plan would be to see if their new knife will stand up to the company claims and my ability to find and test the limits of its capabilities.

      I would like to test the followingÂ…
      1. Is the knife balanced in my hand; is the handle securely attached; is the handle design and material good for grip and fit in my large hands? When wet too?
      2. Does the blade hold its edge, how well does it sharpen in the field and how well does it handle moisture and corrosion?
      3. Depending on blade style tested, how effective is the design for common field chores to include cutting rope, wood for tinder, sharpening wood for stakes and such, field dressing and skinning game, and how stiff or flexible is the blade?
      4. The included sheath for style and fit of the knife, ease of use, security of knife when sheathed and the belt loop for appropriate size to accommodate common belt sizes and other attachment point considerations.
      5. I will test this knife in various situations by checking quality of manufacturing and comparison of manufacturer's claims to product capabilities, in as much as I am able.

      I will have standard backpacking and hiking trips from base camp, where appropriate. My testing plan includes extended time in the field, day and night in varying climates and terrain, to include rocky desert floor to forested mountains. I plan to use the Bone Collector Knife during my daily adventures here in Afghanistan. This knife, being a fixed blade, will do well for my extended field time here. Over the past 20+ months, I have over 500 days/nights in the field. Additionally, I have upcoming trips planned when I get my vacation for April/May to the Laguna Mountains in Southern California and Sierra Nevadas and Yosemite.

      My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1872.htm
      Current Test in progress:
      Shred alert Hippie Beanie

      Current tests awaiting receipt of product:
      Big Sky Dreamsleeper Pillow

      My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1872.htm
      Link to my reviews: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/mosack
      I have completed 4 owner reviews.

      Labors of love – I am a test editor / monitor.