FR - TSL Escape Easy Snowshoes - Shane Williams

  • coloradosherpa14k
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2011
      Hello Ray,
      Hope you're week is going well. I've posted my FR for the TSL Easy
      Escape Snowshoes .

      HTML Version: Here
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-%20TSL%20Escap\
      e%20Easy%20%20Snowshoes%20-%20Shane%20Williams/>

      Text Version:
      Field Report
      Field Conditions

      Since my initial report, The TSL Escape Easy Snowshoes have carried me
      across roughly 15 miles (24.15 km) of snowy back country terrain. During
      an attempt at La Plata Peak I encountered deep snow that was 5 inches
      (12.70 cm) to 24 inches (61 cm) in depth and could be classified as
      powder. Terrain angles encountered were estimated to be between 0 and 45
      degrees. Elevation gain for this trip was close to 3800 ft (1158 m) and
      ranged from 10000 ft (3048 m) to 13800 ft (4206 m). The weather
      conditions started out cold and sunny, but rapidly deteriorated above
      13000 ft (3962 m). Temperatures ranged from 15 F (-9.43 C) to 30 F
      (-1.10 C) with winds in excess of 50 MPH (80.47 KPH). During another
      excursion I snow shoed the Crags Trail on the back side of Pikes Peak.
      The snow was hard packed and the terrain angles were estimated to be
      between 0 and 20. Elevation gain was around 1500 FT (457 M). Sunny
      conditions made for a perfect day with temperatures around 25 F (-3.88
      C) with a slight breeze between 15 MPH (24.14 KPH) to 20 MPH (32.19 KPH)
      on an exposed ridge. Other trips included short jaunts where snowshoes
      were needed only for nominal portions of the hike.

      Observations

      During the ascent of La Plata Peak I had an opportunity to test these
      snowshoes on a variety of terrain. As I left the trail head the
      landscape was primarily flat and had around 5 inches () of freshly
      fallen snow. Right away these snowshoes proved to be comfortable to
      wear. The combination of the hourglass design and the light weight
      material made snow travel significantly easier. As I began to encounter
      rocks, roots, logs and ice, maneuverability wasn’t a problem.
      After an hour or so I began to ascend a steeper portion of the mountain.
      A few times I stopped and adjusted the bindings to suite the terrain as
      well as engaged the heel lifters. I found that all necessary adjustments
      and modifications came easily and didn’t take a lot of time. The
      heel lifters certainly made a difference in reducing muscle fatigue,
      especially around calves. Once above tree line, I had to navigate
      through a boulder field, which is usually problematic. After a short
      distance I remembered that the heel of the shoe could be locked to the
      deck to keep it from swinging. I locked the heel in the down position
      which allowed me to have a higher level of precision with foot
      placement.

      While hiking the crags trail on the back side of Pikes Peak, the terrain
      was mainly flat but contained a few sections that had moderate elevation
      gain. For this hike the snow was about 3 inches (7.62 cm) in depth and
      predominantly hard and packed from travelers. On the flatter terrain the
      toe cleat is positioned in such a way that it doesn’t really dig
      into the snow but more rests on top of it. The crampon pins, however,
      supply enough touch points to keep from slipping. The toe cleat is
      certainly more useful in steeper terrain.

      < Image >
      TSL 227 Escape Easy.
      Summary

      All in all I found the TSL Escape Easy Snowshoes to be durable,
      comfortable and easy to use. These snowshoes can be considered slightly
      aggressive and seem to be geared more for steeper windswept terrain
      rather than deep powder. On fresh powder these shoes provided a little
      less flotation than I was expecting, but seeing the maneuverability
      advantages brought by a narrower design, I would say they function
      adequately. The toe cleat and steel crampon spikes provide superb
      traction especially on hard crunchy snow. Another key feature that I
      found to be an asset was the ability to make full adjustment to the
      binding and foot bed in the field without a lot of time or effort. Also,
      the “Easy-Up” technology functions as stated, and is truly
      easy to use. The composite material provides a flexible yet strong deck
      that seems to hold its own.

      As I continue to travel the back country with the TSL 227 Escape Easy
      Snowshoes, I look forward to further exploring how they handle the
      various terrain and conditions. This concludes my Field Report, please
      check back for my Long Term Report in April.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2011
        Hi Shane,

        Good report. Here are your edits after which you can delete your initial report and upload this one.

        See you in a couple months,

        Ray

        *** with winds in excess of 50 MPH (80.47 KPH).

        EDIT: kilometers per hour is shown as km/h. kmph will be accepted too, please check all instances.

        *** Sunny conditions made for a perfect day with temperatures around 25 F (-3.88 C)

        EDIT: Celsius numbers should be rounded to the nearest whole just like the Fahrenheit numbers.

        *** As I left the trail head the landscape was primarily flat and had around 5 inches () of freshly fallen snow.

        EDIT: missing the metric conversion