Application to test - Fenix MC 10 - Ray Estrella

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2011
      Please accept my application to test the Fenix MC 10. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 including, but not limited to, Chapter 5. I agree to comply with and exceed all requirements.

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 50
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (193 cm)
      Weight: 215 lb (93 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      Location: Northwestern Minnesota
      Country: USA
      Date: February 28, 2011

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with my brother-in-law Dave.

      Test plan

      I take at least one, often two multi-day trips per month. Because I am sleeping out that means I need artificial light of some kind at night. So, I would love to test the Fenix MC 10.

      To start out as it is winter I will have to use it as a hand-held or use the old teeth-grip of Mag-Light days gone by. How will it work in such fashion? Plus as we are below 0 F in temp (I just got back from a trip that saw -31 F one night) I will report on its battery use at low temps.

      Once it gets warmer I shall use the light as a headlamp by clipping it to my hat brim. Last year I switched to clip-on lights so this will not be anything I need to get used to. The question will be if it has enough of an angle to be usable this way. The company sells a big head-strap contraption for headlamp use but I think it may work with a hat if tipped up a bit.

      I have rechargeable Ni-MH batteries so will evaluate the difference between them and regular alkaline batteries in both warm and cold temps.

      I have two tests in progress. They are as follows:

      Bridgford mummified, I mean shelf stable sandwiches in FR

      Tubbs Flex Alp snowshoes in FR

      Here is a link to my tester page.

      I have no other applications in at this time

      My involvement with BGT includes active duty as Editor, Test Monitor, and (sometimes) Mentor.

      I have completed a lot of test series.

      I have written over 140 Owner Reviews.

      My reports and reviews can be found at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/rayestrella

      Thank you for your consideration of me for this test,

      Ray