APPLICATION - Fenix MC10 - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28 3:53 PM
      Nancy,

      Please accept my application for the Fenix MC 10 LED. I'm currently testing the Black Diamond Orbit Lantern, but I'm guessing (hoping) that test will be finished by the time this test begins so I won't have any conflicting overlap.

      1. DISCLOSURE

      I have read the test requirements stated in BGT tester bylaws, v. 0609, and I promise to comply with them to the best of my abilities. My test agreement has been submitted and is on file.

      2. MY BRIEF BIO

      Name - Derek Hansen
      Age - 35
      Gender - Male
      Height - 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight - 165 lb (75 kg)
      Electronic Address - derek?dot"hansen\at[mac|daught}com
      Location - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical overnight pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg). My current backpacking style is to carry a simple hammock and go light and fast.

      3. BRIEF TEST PLAN

      Most of my testing will be in the high desert of northern Arizona, with occasional trips along the Mogollon Rim. Elevation is around 7000 ft (2130 m). Located in a high desert, northern Arizona boasts a wide-range of conditions, with moderate high temperatures but dipping low during the night. Last season, snow levels in Flagstaff were higher than most U.S. cities at around 120 inches with snow persisting even at lower elevations. I was recently given the position of Scoutmaster for a local troop, so my testing opportunities increased with monthly overnight camping trips along with solo treks and day hikes with family.

      One thing that really stuck out to me about this light is its versatility: fasteners, body clips, lanyard, and the diffuser lens all promise a lot of different applies uses that I could really take advantage of. The battery requirements and run time are intriguing, and useful to measure if different battery types perform any better.

      The other feature that really caught my attention was the flashing modes. During bicycle rides, I often use the strobe feature for maximum visibility. I think it would also be interesting to try the strobe while backpacking, for example, when I take the Boy Scouts hiking, I like to "flag" my pack for visibility. I also wonder if the strobe will work on high, medium, and low settings and if that will improve the battery life span.

      As a morse code operator, I was also intrigued by the "SOS" light messaging. This is a unique feature I haven't seen in many lights, if at all, but could be useful in some situations, especially if battery life is extended using lower output.

      4. OWNER REVIEWS

      I have completed four (4) owner reviews in the last year. A total of 11.

      5. CURRENT TESTS & PREVIOUS REPORTS

      > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1800.htm

      > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dejoha

      Diamondback Orbit Lantern - LTR - Apr 5
      Tubbs Snowshoes - FR - Mar 29
      OR Backstop Gloves - FR - Apr 26
      Chaos Skully Cap - FR - Apr

      Report Uploads: 10 @ -1

      6. APPLICATIONS PENDING

      Columbia Peak 2 Peak Jacket

      7. EXTRA DUTIES

      > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/M1800.htm

      I am a test monitor, editor, and call manager, although I haven't been on the editing block for a while now. Kathy?

      I am also working on the BGT web development team to design and deploy the new BackpackGearTest website. This is an on-again, off-again project. Mostly off.

      Best,

      ~derek