IR- Big Sky DreamSleeper Deluxe Pillow - Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2011
      Hello Chari,
      Below is my IR for your edit.
      Copy is in the test file.
      See: http://tinyurl.com/4crdpul
      Best
      Ralph

      Big Sky DreamSleeper Deluxe Pillow
      Test Series by Ralph Ditton
      Initial Report: 25th February, 2011
      Field report:
      Long Term Report:

      DreamSleeper Pillow

      Personal Information
      Name Ralph Ditton
      Age 59
      Gender Male
      Height 1.76 m (5 ft 9 in)
      Weight 74 kg (163 lb)
      Email rdassettsAToptusnetDOTcomDOTau
      Location Perth, Western Australia. Australia

      Backpacking Background
      My playgrounds are the Bibbulmun Track, the Coastal Plain Trail, Darling
      Scarp and Cape to Cape Track. I lead walks for my bushwalking club and
      they consist of day walks and overnighters. My pack weight for multi day
      trips including food and water, tends to hover around 18 kg (40 lb) but
      I am trying to get lighter. My trips range from overnighters to six days
      duration.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer
      Big Sky International
      Year of Manufacturer
      2011
      URL
      http://www.BigSkyInternational.com
      Model
      Deluxe
      Colour
      Bladder - Transparent plastic
      Pillow cover - Riverstone/beige
      Material
      Pillow cover - cotton soft synthetic fabric
      Interior of pillow - PrimaLoft ECO
      Twist valve
      Yes
      Listed weight
      117 g (4.1 oz) incl. bladder and stuff sack
      Measured weight
      Bladder 54 g (1.9 oz)
      Pillow/stuff sack 68 g (2.4 oz)
      Total 122 g (4.3 g)
      MSRP
      US$34.95

      Product Description
      The pillow arrived inside its stuff sack which measures 190 mm x 190 mm
      square (7.5 in x 7.5 in). The stuff sack is stitched to the pillow cover
      so that it cannot be mislaid.

      stuff sack

      Stuff sack

      The stuff sack is closed by a zipper that runs the length of one side.
      See photo below.

      zipper on stuff sack

      zipper on stuff sack
      Pillow Cover
      On the opposite end of the pillow from the stuff sack is another similar
      zipper that allows access to the bladder. It only runs for 160 mm (6.3 in).
      The dimensions of the pillow (flat) are 480 mm x 290 mm (19 in x 11.4 in).
      Inflated, the height is 120 mm (4.7 in).

      In one corner, at the stuff sack end, there is a sewn hole to allow the
      twist valve to poke through. It can just be seen in the top photo at the
      top right hand corner.

      The interior of the pillow cover has a lining of Primaloft ECO. It is
      stitched along all of the internal seams of the pillow case.

      Primaloft ECO

      Primaloft ECO

      Pillow Bladder
      The pillow bladder is made out of a plastic type material which goes
      cloudy when inflated by mouth. I guess that is the condensation from my
      breath.
      In one corner is the twist valve mounted in a solid plastic housing. The
      valve has five openings on the top.
      Inflation is very easy. Just blow.
      It takes me just on ten puffs to fully inflate the pillow.
      Deflation is also easy. Just push on the pillow to release the air after
      opening up the twist valve.

      Internally, there are two partial walls that join the top and bottom
      surfaces of the pillow together.
      When inflated, these walls give the shape to the pillow that is the
      ergonomic design that is supposed to stop my head from rolling off the
      pillow. It should cradle my head.
      The walls are 70 mm (2.7 in) high. They are lower than the fully
      inflated pillow of 120 mm (4.7 in). By being vertically challenged,
      these two walls pull the top and bottom panels of the pillow inwards,
      creating a hollow as seen in the photo below.

      Inflated bladder

      Inflated bladder

      Initial Impression
      What I received matched what was listed on the website, so no surprise
      there.
      I was struck by how nice the pillow felt in my fingers. As I am a manual
      worker, the skin on my fingers take on a sandpaper effect. That means
      that fine fabrics catch on my scaly skin. This did not happen with this
      pillow cover.
      Plus it feels nice and soft when inflated and deflated.

      As the proud owner of a number of inflatable pillows I had to give this
      pillow an initial test for noise.
      Some pillows make an irritating noise every time I move my head on the
      pillow which makes going to sleep all that more difficult.
      How did this one go?
      It made a soft crinkly sound right into my ear every time I moved my
      head. The sensation was a bit like being on a water bed.
      My side of my face was cradled nicely in the middle of the pillow. I am
      a side sleeper.

      To examine the bladder, I have pulled it in and out of the pillow case a
      number of times.
      I found it a bit tricky to make sure that the bladder did not get
      twisted or skew whiff. It certainly became obvious that I got it wrong
      when I inflated the bladder. It went all lumpy at one end.

      One area of concern that I have already is the collection of moisture
      from my breath inside the bladder.
      I left the twist valve open overnight and there was still evidence of my
      moisture on the inside of the bladder.
      Having said that, I must also take into account our current weather. The
      temperature has ranged from 38 C (100 F) during the afternoon to a low
      of 26 C (79 F) during the night with the Relative Humidity ranging from
      60% to 96%. (Source: Bureau of Meteorology).

      I'll certainly be keeping an eye on how well the bladder dries out.

      Things I Like

      * Small and compact
      * Lightweight
      * Lovely soft feel

      Things I dislike

      * Moisture retention inside bladder
      * Crinkly noise in my ear when laying on it

      This concludes my Initial Report. The Field Report will be amended to
      this report in approximately two months from the date of this report.
      Please check back then for further information.