Application - Caldera Keg & Gram Cracker Stoves

  • Jamie
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18 4:34 PM
      Please accept my application to test the Caldera Keg-H Stove System by Trail Designs along with the Gram Cracker. I have read the BGT Survival Guide v. 0609 and Bylaws v. 0609 and I agree to comply with all requirements and timetables. My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT.

      Tester Info:
      Name: Jamie Lawrence
      Age: 29
      Gender: Male
      Height: 170 cm (5' 7")
      Weight: 70 kg (154 lbs)
      Email address: jlawrence286 (at) gmail (dot) com
      City, State, Country: Hobart, Tasmania AUSTRALIA

      Backpacking Background:
      I've been an active bushwalker for many years and active gear tester since 2007. I am trying to shed pack weight for no other reason but to allow me to take more gourmet food and enjoy the wilderness with a good glass of wine! Generally I walk in winter, above the snowline for 3-5 day trips but walk all year round in backcountry locations.

      Field Locations:
      I specifically note this test call has requested residents of the southern hemisphere. I am based in Tasmania, Australia where I am now into my summer. This means temps are warm, up around 20's C (70's F) during the day but still quite cool (8 - 12 C/46 - 53 F) at night. It is typically very dry at this time of year, however it is currently pouring with rain outside!

      I am in my final stages of recovery from major knee surgery. Initially my testing would be based on shorter day walks in the parks close to my home, such as Mt Wellington park which is a mix of sub-alpine forest to exposed rocky alpine plateau. As my strength is regained, I am planning a 6 night walk during late March/April to trek through the Overland Track, however focusing on off track peaks. This walk will see me gain altitudes to around 1,600 m (5,250 ft) with most of the walking around 700-1,000 m (2,295 – 3,280 ft). Weather would be anything from bright sunshine to pouring rain and strong wind.

      Testing Plan:
      I have experience using all sorts of stoves for all sorts of reasons from gas powered rockets for melting snow to my beloved alcohol (metho) burning trangia for lazy meals by the beach. I also cook on the full spectrum from simple heating of water to rehydrate food to full blown multicourse eating marathons. I love to be able to simmer and have control of heat output.

      My testing strategy for this stove (or systems) is quite simple, I will try to cook as many different types of food in as many different settings as I can. I note the system seems focused as a solo person capacity system. I sometimes use multiple stoves, so I will be interested to see how well this system can be used with my approach to backcountry cooking.

      A stove for me must be simple to use, effortless to light, clean burning and require next to no field maintenance. It must also be able to cook reliably and not leave any lasting impact to taste on the food I prepare. I also don't want to spend hours cleaning it once I return home.

      Technical features I will test will include burn times of the various fuels, time to achieve a full rolling boil, which fuel (burner) is more efficient in terms of weight of fuel vs heat output. Overall weight of the system and general ease of use.

      Current Tests:
      I will have submitted my LTR for the Primus EtaPackLite stove by the time this item is shipped. This is my only current test so I will be entirely free to test this new stove system.
      I have no other pending applications.

      Other BGT Roles:
      Test monitor & Mentor for new members

      Previous Reviews: