FR - Sunday Afternoons Eclipse Cap - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2011
      Ryan,

      I have posted my FR for the Eclipse to the test folder for your editing
      pleasure. You can find it at: http://tinyurl.com/4sjojax .

      Great hat so far and looking forward to putting it through more paces over
      the next two months. The text version follows:

      FIELD REPORT

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      So far I have worn the Eclipse at least three times per week either around
      the house, in town or out in the backcountry. This includes one overnight
      trip, a three day trip and three day hikes, all in the Rocky Mountains of
      Colorado.

      The first trip was a three day trek in the San Isabel National Forest along
      the Colorado Trail. There was snow along almost the entire route and while I
      took snowshoes they weren't needed much. Temperatures were cold, anywhere
      between 5 and 35 F (-15 and 2 C) but otherwise clear. Elevations ranged from
      9,000 to 11,500 ft (2,700 to 3,350 m) with an estimated trip of 24 mi (39
      km).

      My final trip was an overnight to hike Mt Shavano in the San Isabel National
      Forest. With warm temperatures around 40 F (4 C) and clear skies it was a
      great time to be in the backcountry. Elevations ranged from 9,500 to over
      14,000 ft (2,900 to 4,300 m) with alpine and rocky conditions as well as
      snow covered trails.

      The three day trips were very similar to my overnight hikes with little to
      trace amounts of snow and mild weather conditions. One was a hunting trip in
      the Colorado Rockies, another was a day hike with my wife and son and the
      other was a day hike to the Waterdog Lakes.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I have been very impressed with the performance of the Sunday Afternoons
      Eclipse Cap so far. For those who are not familiar with Colorado weather,
      the test period has provided above average temperatures for what I am used
      to (up until a recent arctic blast that hit two weeks ago). As the picture
      to the right shows, I have the vents open despite the snowy trails because
      of the warm sun and exertion. While hiking along the Colorado Trail, I
      experienced some great weather and I appreciated the ability to allow excess
      heat to escape from my noggin. Of course I had no idea how I looked in the
      hat with the vents open until after seeing my pictures but I have to say I
      like the style and look.

      I was especially interested to see how well the Eclipse could handle
      perspiration. Many other hats I have worn become saturated with sweat but
      the combination of the sweatband and the mesh vents kept the cap dry most of
      the time. I found that within 10 minutes in our dry climate the hat was
      almost completely void of any damp spots.

      Another feature I have come to appreciate is the ability to pack down the
      cap to a very small size. When I needed to switch to a warmer hat as the
      conditions changed, I found that I could quickly stow the Eclipse in a
      jacket pocket until I had a better opportunity to take my pack off and stow
      it away there. I have actually forgotten that I had the Eclipse in the cargo
      pocket of a pair of pants and thought I misplaced it once!

      The cap provides good sun protection as far as I can tell. I don't sunburn
      easily, but I can comment on the shade the brim offers. It is certainly on
      par with other caps I have worn and provides good cover. Durability has been
      great and I can see no signs of wear; no stains, no fraying.

      In fact caring for the cap has been hassle free. I followed the directions
      to hand wash and air dry the cap with mild detergent just to see if the
      shape of the hat would be altered or any other anomaly. It looks just like
      new still.

      SUMMARY

      I have struggled to find any problems with the Eclipse so far. What I really
      like is that it is attractive, provides good sun protection and also vents
      very well.

      This concludes my field report. Please check back in about two months to see
      how the Eclipse does after another two months of testing! I would like to
      thank Sunday Afternoons and the folks at BackpackGearTest.org
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org> for allowing me to be a part of this test
      series!

    • RyanC
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2011
        Brett,

        My apologies for the delay in editing your Field Report. With my back surgery, and then my wife's unexpected emergency surgery, things have been surreal at my house.

        Just one minor thing for you to address and you are good to post in the appropriate folder.

        Edit: <My final trip was an overnight to hike Mt Shavano> - appears to me that "to" and "hike" are transposed -- please correct as you see fit.

        Once again, my apologies for my tardiness. See you again really soon.

        Ryan
      • Brett Haydin
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2011
          Ryan,

          Absolutely no problem. I hope that everyoine is recovering well. Changes made, test file deleted uploaded to the folder. Thanks for the edits and see you in a couple months!

          Brett Haydin

          "Teamwork: It's amazing how much
          can be accomplished when no one
          cares who gets the credit."