Application: Past Primitive Stove Pocket Stove - Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2011
      Please consider my application to test the Past Primitive Stove Pocket Stove.  I
      have read the BackpackGearTest.org By-Laws (v. 0609) particularly Chapters 4, 5
      and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements. My signed Tester
      Agreement is on file.

      Tester information:
      · Nancy Griffith
      · 44
      · Female
      · 5’6” (1.68 m)
      · 130 lb (59 kg)
      · bkpkrgirlATyahooDOT com
      · Northern California, USA

      Backpacking background:
      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local
      canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails. The culmination was a 10-day canoe
      voyage through the Quebec wilds. I've been backpacking since my college days in
      Pennsylvania, then for years in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and now
      mostly in the Sierra Nevada of California. Most of my trips are section hikes or
      loops from a few days to a week. I carry a mid-weight load, use a tent and
      hiking poles.
      Test plan or strategy:
      On my quest to lighten my pack weight (while maintaining comfort/functionality),
      I've often thought to try an alcohol stove.  I currently use a canister stove in
      summer and a white gas stove in winter (heavier still but reliable).  I would
      love to get away from those heavy, expensive and non-refillable, non-recyclable
      canisters.  I prepare all of our meals at home using a dehydrator and purchasing
      some freeze-dried meat and veggies.  This means that meal preparation on the
      trail typically consists of boiling a max of 20 oz of water and 'cooking' in a
      zip-top bag.  Thus, an alcohol stove could work just right for my style and this
      stove claims to hold 1 oz of fuel which (at .6 oz of fuel to boil a pint) would
      boil 26 oz of water...perfect.  This stove is small, but a 2.7 inch dia. stove
      (support looks slightly smaller) should support my 4-1/4 inch pot.  I also
      wonder about how well it does in cold temps although I understand that it may
      work if the fuel is warm.  I'd also test how much burning time varies
      by elevation from nearly sea level up to our highest elevation trip (8,000 ft

      Test Conditions:
      I would use the stove for backpacking/snow camping trips for breakfast, dinner
      and drinks.  I would also use the stove on snowshoeing day trips where I like to
      have a warm drink and would also try some soups for lunch.
      We have an overnight snow camping trip planned for this winter (no firm dates,
      just watching the weather).  Come Spring we'll start getting out for at least
      one (non-snow) backpacking trip per month and hiking nearly every weekend.  I
      would plan to take it on dayhikes just to get some more uses in different
      Sierra Nevada, California, 4,000 to 8,000 ft (1,200 – 2,400 m); 20 to 80 F (-7
      to 27 C); clear to snowy conditions with some wind.  Spring will also include
      rainy conditions.

      Sierra Nevada, California, 0 to 4,000 ft (0 to 1,200 m); 40 to 80 F (4 to 27 C);
      clear to rainy conditions with some breezes

      My current tests are:
      Darn Tough Vermont Poppy Gall Socks (LTR due 3/1)
      Tecnica Cyclone Boots (LTR due 3/24)
      Columbia Hot to Trot Softshell Jacket - FR date not set
      Outdoor Research Backstop Gloves - Just arrived

      I have written 24 OR's (11 in the past 12 months) and completed 26 test series.
      My reviews can be viewed at:
      I have no other apps pending.

      RP status is 10 @ -1,RU status is 10 @ -1

      Labors of Love: Test Call Manager, Monitor
      Thank you for considering my application.