IR - Chaos Mistral Multi-Tasker - Shane Williams

  • coloradosherpa14k
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2011
      Hello James.
      I have posted my IR for the Chaos Mistral Multi-Tasker Pro Balaclava .
      Sorry for the delay.

      HTML Version:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Chaos%20Mist\
      ral%20Multi-Tasker%20-%20Shane%20Williams/
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Chaos%20Mis\
      tral%20Multi-Tasker%20-%20Shane%20Williams/>

      Text Version:
      Chaos Mistral Multi-Tasker Pro Balaclava
      Test Series by Shane Williams
      Initial Review: January 31, 2011
      Field Report: April, 2011
      Long Term Report: June, 2011
      Tester Information:
      Name: Shane Williams
      Email: sherpa[dot]colorado[at]gmail.com
      Personal Website: coloradosherpa.net
      Age: 36
      Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
      Weight: 190 lb (86.20 kg)
      Bio:

      As a child I lived in the last house on a dead end street. Just beyond
      my house was a wilderness area. I started hiking and exploring there,
      and I've never stopped. I started backpacking in the South Eastern
      Appalachian Mountains, including portions of the Appalachian Trail.
      Today I primarily hike in the Colorado Rockies. My pack weight is
      approximately 30 (13.61 kg) to 50 lbs (22.68 kg). I often carrying more
      gear than necessary hoping that I won’t need it. I enjoy weekend
      excursions into the High Country with friends and lower elevation day
      trips with my family.
      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: Chaos
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.chaoshats.com
      MSRP: 24.99 US $
      Weight: 2.5 oz (71 g)
      Style Number: 1670
      Available Colors: Black
      Available Sizes: JNR (Junior), S/M (Small/Medium), L/XL (Large/Xtra
      Large)
      Material: 88% Polyester, 12% Spandex
      (Courtesy of Chaos)
      Product Features:

      * Pro Stretch Multi-Functional Hinged Balaclava with added face
      protection via Windshield face insterts.
      * Ideal for layering under a helmet or worn alone.
      * Mesh breathing panel for superior air exchange.
      * 3D form fitting flat panel contsruction.
      * Flat lock stitching provides comfort and durability.
      * Lycra binding around the face seals out the elements.
      * Shaped bottom prevents gathering with added protection.
      * Form-fitting 4-way stretch
      * Moisture wicking material
      * Highly Breathable
      * Machine Washable

      Care and Maintenance:

      Machine wash cold, gentle cycle. Do not bleach. Do not wring out, dry
      flat.
      Product Overview:

      Upon receiving the Mistral Multi-Tasker Pro Balaclave I found it to be
      in premium condition as advertised by the Manufacturer and was free from
      any defects. All elastic segments were form fitting and the balaclave
      did not have any tears, snags, or worn places.

      Choas, the manufacturer, prides its self in being “The Next
      Generation in Cold Weather Protection”. The primary means for
      securing this position in the marketplace is through their proprietary
      “Chaos Thermal Regulation” technology. Specifically
      designed not only for warmth, but also for versatility in cold weather
      conditions.

      The Mistral Multi-Tasker Pro Balaclave, here after referred to as
      “The Multi”, is constructed of 88% Polypropylene and 12%
      spandex. It’s comprised of a series of panels that are fused
      together with a triple threaded stitching. The Multi is made up of a
      single ply material, except for the front panel that covers the cheeks,
      nose, and mouth, which is either double ply or made of a heavier
      material. The external surface of this front panel also has a faint grid
      like structure, which is constructed to wick moisture from the region
      around the nose and mouth.

      The Multi derives it’s name from the fact that it’s
      designed to be worn in several variations, each accommodating in
      different conditions. If utilized to the fullest capacity, the multi
      acts as a full head covering, leaving only the eyes exposed. If it gets
      a little warmer, Thermal Regulation can be achieved by flipping the top
      portion back or pulling the lower portion down. If the top portion is
      flipped back, the ears and everything below the cheeks remain covered.
      If the lower portion is pulled down the hood stays in place and
      everything below the forehead can be exposed. Lastly, both the upper and
      lower portions can be pulled down and utilized as neck gaiter.

      In addition to these design attributes, The Multi also has a stylish CTR
      logo imprinted on the right front panel.

      Testing Strategy:

      During this test series a few key points of evaluation will be:

      * Does The Multi provide adequate warmth in spite of its thinner
      design.
      * How well it shields the wind.
      * How well it wick moisture.
      * Comfort while wearing a climbing and/or biking helmet.

      Summary

      The Mistral Multi-Tasker Pro Balaclava has several interesting design
      features that seem to be promising. It’s versatility and light
      weight design makes it an attractive item. I look forward to becoming
      well acquainted with The Multi in the field.

      A special thanks to Chaos and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity
      to test The Mistral Multi-Tasker Pro Balaclava. This concludes my
      Initial Report. My follow-up Field Report will be posted in April and
      will further discuss these points of evaluation.

    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2011
        backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com wrote on 02/02/2011 10:21:21 PM:

        > Hello James.
        > I have posted my IR for the Chaos Mistral Multi-Tasker Pro Balaclava .
        > Sorry for the delay.
        >
        > HTML Version:
        > http://tinyurl.com/ShanesMulti
        >
        > Text Version:
        > Chaos Mistral Multi-Tasker Pro Balaclava
        > Test Series by Shane Williams

        Hi Shane...

        Thank you for your Chaos Mistral Multi-Tasker Pro Balaclava initial
        report. It is well written, and the html looks really crisp and nicely
        laid out. I could used this product yesterday, as we had a foot of snow,
        strong winds, and cold temps! Work was even closed, which rarely happens!
        Anyway...

        I have several edits for you, but nothing very serious. Please see to the
        edits and then upload your report to the official folder. You do not need
        to repost to the list, but please remember to delete the copy in the test
        folder.

        Thanks again for your work!

        James E. Triplett
        Chaos Mistral Multi-Tasker Pro Balaclava Monitor

        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Initial Review: January 31, 2011
        [EDIT] This is technically accurate, but to differentiate between owner
        reviews and test reports it would be better to say "Initial Report".

        Field Report: April, 2011
        Long Term Report: June, 2011
        [Comment] You may want to say something like: "Field Report: Check back
        in April, 2011"

        My pack weight is approximately 30 (13.61 kg) to 50 lbs (22.68 kg).
        [EDIT] Add "lbs" after 30.
        [Edit] Since these are approximate weights you can probably round the
        conversions to 13.6 and 22.7 kg.

        Product Information:
        Manufacturer: Chaos
        [EDIT] Before this section please put "INITIAL REPORT" and the date. You
        can also put a link to the heading from your table of contents at the top,
        but it is not mandatory.

        Weight: 2.5 oz (71 g)
        [EDIT] I believe this is "Measured Weight". If so please state so.

        Windshield face insterts.
        [EDIT] Spelling. Should be inserts.

        3D form fitting flat panel contsruction.
        [EDIT] Spelling. Should be construction.

        Choas, the manufacturer, prides its self in being "The Next Generation in
        Cold Weather Protection".
        [EDIT] "its self" should be "itself"

        The Multi derives it's name from the fact that it's designed to be worn in
        several variations,
        [EDIT] The first "it's" should be "its". (The second one is correct.)

        If utilized to the fullest capacity, the multi acts as a full head
        covering,
        [EDIT] Be consistent with capitalizing "The Multi" as you did earlier.

        How well it wick moisture.
        [EDIT] "wick" should be "wicks"

        It's versatility and light weight design makes it an attractive item.
        [EDIT] "It's" should be "Its".