EDIT: LTR - Hogback - Lyon

  • ftroop94
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2011
      Forgive me if this Posts to the site two times. I posted my edits and did not appear to be signed in. I'd prefer it to be posted too many times than none! ~SMK

      Richard,

      Another thorough and quality report, in my opinion. I have no required edits, but two suggestions as listed below.

      Also, your courteous emails in addition always make life easier for me. On your Que I've taken to a courtesy email when both filing and editing reports. I mention this both in thanks, and as a reminder that I'm sure you will send me one this fall for the supplemental report as it will surely be off my radar by then.

      Following are my two suggestions:

      >>Neither the North wind nor the freezing slop that pelted the tent on my recent outings changed a thing inside the tent, other than its occupants' bringing in a bit more water on their clothing on the wet last trip.

      Edit: ...on that last wet trip. OR ...on that final trip that was so wet.

      One of those suggestions may read a little fluid.

      >>When it came time to break camp, after a few vigorous shakes of the tent body after striking, to remove as much water as possible I folded the tent several times and used compression straps to attach it to the front of the pack for the short hike to the trailhead parking lot.

      Edit: ...after a few vigorous shakes of the tent body and striking,

      The use of (after) twice in the sentence also made me stop and reread.

      Your choice on both! Of course be sure to delete the test file before uploading, and I really look forward to the addendum report this fall!

      Until then,

      Steve

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "richardglyon" <montana.angler@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Condensation. Also impressive, as detailed above. I think I've been underrating silnylon shelters in this category. Certainly I haven't had a problem yet with the Hogback.
      >
      > Ease of Use. After some practice, two of us have met Tarptent's two-minute pitching claim (see my Initial Report), not counting tweaking after placing items inside the tent. The instructions that accompanied the tent (also available on Tarptent's website) are simple and easy to follow.
      >
      > Design. As there's not much to adjust, there's not much to go wrong. That's a no-frills design approach that I applaud. The tent held its pitch in gusty winds. Yes, I must go outside to adjust the vents, but I can live with that. One further design feature that facilitates striking and storage is the fact that the end struts are attached, so that I (and other campers) don't have to fiddle with color-coding, fit, or other re-insertion problems every time we pitch the tent. (I should point out that this has been a complaint I've made with many tents over many years.) The struts are easily stored in the folded-up Hogback.
      >
      > NITPICKS
      >
      > Storage space. As noted in my Field Report, high capacity doesn't extend to the vestibules. I think it's for this reason that Tarptent lists the Hogback as a three-season tent, as it would be tough for three, maybe even two, fully equipped winter campers to find adequate space to store expedition packs and their contents inside. On none of my outings with the tent did any of us have a kit anywhere close to what I'd use on a three-day or longer backpack in the Rockies, and it was still difficult to store three packs and pairs of boots in the two vestibules. As I usually hang my pack in the Rockies, though, I don't consider this issue more than a necessary consequence of so lightweight a shelter.
      >
      > Though it might add a couple of ounces, perhaps two more inside pockets (on the end walls?) would help organize storage.
      >
      > SUMMARY
      >
      > I regard the Hogback as a great three-season shelter.
      >
      > Ordinarily my Test Report would end here, but extenuating circumstances call for further reporting. This test was scheduled to begin last June. Had it done so the test period would have included two service trips with large groups, on which (especially since I was a leader on one) I would have had the opportunity to test the Hogback (a) in the seasons for which it was intended, (b) with four sleepers, and (c) in the Rockies. I'm working on scheduling similar trips for this coming summer, and I promise to supplement this Report next fall with the results.
      >
      > Thanks to Tarptent by Henry Shires and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this innovative and functional shelter.

    • richardglyon
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2011
        Steve,

        Both excellent suggestions, and suitable revisions made. Thanks. Uploaded and Tests folder copy deleted.

        Cheers, Richard