FR - OR Radiant Fleece - Shane Williams

  • coloradosherpa14k
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2011
      Hello Ralaph,

      Happy New Year! I've posted my FR for OR's Radiant Fleece.

      HTML Version: OR Radiant Fleece - Shane Williams
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-%20OR%20Radian\
      t%20Fleece%20-%20Shane%20Williams/>

      Text Version:
      Field Report: January 4th, 2011.
      Field Conditions:
      Location: Mount Beirstadt
      Date: 10/09/2010
      Conditions: Sunny 18 F (-7.77 C) - 40 F (4.44 C)
      Elevation: 14060 ft (4285 m)

      Location: Mount Tabeguache
      Date: 11/20/2010
      Conditions: Overcast/Windy. Sustained 30 mph (48.28 kph) winds. 15 F
      (-9.43 C) - 30 F (-1.10 C)
      Elevation: 14155 ft (4314 m)

      Location: Mount Rosa
      Date: 11/27/2010
      Conditions: Sunny 28 F (-2.21 C) - 40 F (4.44 C)
      Elevation: 11499 ft (3505 m)

      Location: La Plata Peak
      Date: 12/10/2010
      Conditions: Winter Storm. 50 mph (80.46 kph) winds. 13 F (-10.55 C)
      - 25 F (-3.88 C)
      Elevation: 13500 ft (4115 m)

      Location: Crags Trail
      Date: 12/17/2010
      Conditions: Sunny/Windy 20 F (-6.66 C)
      Elevation: 11000 ft (3048 m)
      Field Report:

      Over the past couple of months the OR Radiant Fleece has accompanied me
      on many adventures. Some of these have been local leisure hikes with the
      family and others have been physically demanding 13 hour treks into the
      upper regions of the Rockies. Thus far it’s seen a fair sampling
      of activities and weather conditions, to which it has performed
      superbly.

      The Radiant Fleece has proven to be very effectively at regulating my
      body temperature in rapidly changing weather conditions. It’s
      light weight, thin design make it a key element in a multi garment
      layering system, or as a solitary base layer. The thin footprint
      provides a sleek feel and doesn’t bunch or bind when sandwiched
      between a polypropylene base layer and a windproof/waterproof shell. Its
      breathability and moisture wicking properties make it a perfect base
      layer for those times when the activity goes cardio. Initially I was
      somewhat skeptical about the light footprint and the ability for it to
      retain heat, but it only took a few outings to prove the advantages of a
      thinner design.

      I’ve used the Radiant Fleece multiple times per week since the
      testing period began and it’s has yet to show signs of wear. The
      seams and stitching are still intact. The elasticity around the wrist
      cuff and thumb loops are still have adequate tension. The zipper works
      perfectly and has not hung or jammed. The workmanship represented has
      shown to be premium and it is as sound as the day the item was removed
      from the package.

      One element that the Radiant Fleece doesn’t handle well is wind.
      The same design and construction that make it wonderfully breathable
      also renders little protection from the wind. On several occasions as
      I’ve gained a ridgeline, the winds increase, making it necessary
      to put on a windproof shell. That being said, I don’t think that
      I would necessarily change it. The extra protection would be nice, but
      would come at the expense of added bulk and less breathability.

      <image>
      Field Image - Mount Rosa Summit

      Outdoor Research has done an excellent job with the Radiant Fleece. It
      has a sleek light weight design that features versatility in varied
      circumstances. It’s proven to be solidly constructed and has held
      up exceptionally well during this portion of testing. Its performance in
      the field has been impressive, and I’ve come to esteem it as a
      trustworthy piece of equipment that can be counted upon. This concludes
      my Field Report for the Outdoor Research Radiant Fleece. Please check
      back for a follow-up Long Term Report in March.