MOD COMMENT: Princeton Tec Byte LED Headlamp Testers

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
      BGT tests products in real conditions for manufacturers and reports factual
      and unbiased results of our testing.

      If a product does not work as advertised, report that. If a product's
      customer service rep gives you good or bad information, report that, too.
      Just do it in a fair manner.

      Remember though to test the product thoroughly, in this case using different
      batteries, different modes, etc. Follow the BGT guidelines for minimum
      testing. You might want to carry extra batteries or an extra headlamp for
      added safety purposes. But don't stop testing because the product is not to
      your liking. Please.

      Kathy
    • jerry adams
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
        I will of course do the test like you said, no problem, but

        I've already used two sets of batteries and determined it takes maybe two sets
        of batteries per trip, if I don't use it too much.

        I already took the Byte on two backpacking trips which is the BGT minimum.
        First trip I didn't use it a lot so it didn't die until the end of the trip.
        Second trip it died the first night when I was camped at the trailhead so I
        could swap in a different light.

        I'll just report the facts in my FR.

        For the Long Term test I could take it on one more trip and verify it works the
        same although this is a pointless exercise.  and that I won't be using it in the
        future because the burn time is too short.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2011
          So, you think that 4 to 6 hours burn time (what power setting?) is too short? What amount of burn time would you expect and what headlight do you use that you've timed to that length?

          Jerry

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/: the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews on the planet.

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5760 (20110104) __________

          http://www.eset.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2011
            I got a 1 hour burn time on high

            On the web and on the package it says 80 hour burn time on high.

            I would expect 80 hours.

            When I tested the Princetontec Fuel, it had a 50 hour burn time on high - spec'd
            and my testing

            Since the Byte has 2 AAA batteries rather than the 3 AAA in the Fuel, if the
            Byte had a burn time something like 33 hours I would be happy.

            All of this is with standard Alkaline batteries.

            There's a similar poor performance at low intensity, I just gave high to
            simplify.

            ________________________________

            BGT tests products in real conditions for manufacturers and reports factual
            and unbiased results of our testing.

            If a product does not work as advertised, report that. If a product's
            customer service rep gives you good or bad information, report that, too.
            Just do it in a fair manner.

            Remember though to test the product thoroughly, in this case using different
            batteries, different modes, etc. Follow the BGT guidelines for minimum
            testing. You might want to carry extra batteries or an extra headlamp for
            added safety purposes. But don't stop testing because the product is not to
            your liking. Please.

            database 5760 (20110104) __________

            http://www.eset.com

            database 5760 (20110104) __________

            http://www.eset.com

            database 5760 (20110104) __________

            http://www.eset.com

          • Coy Boy
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2011
              Jerry, have you tried a different batch of batteries. Sometimes a whole batch can be bad. If so then I suspect there is something wrong with your light. My experience with several different PT lights is that the at least come close to matching the stated burn times. One other thought. I haven't read the review but is the light non regulated. If not then it will burn the listed time but the last half of the burn really suffers in brightness. Not a knock on PT, just the nature of the beast. but after 1 hour or even 10 you should not even notice a difference.

              Coy Boy
              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, jerry adams <jerryaadams@...> wrote:

              > I got a 1 hour burn time on high
              >
              > On the web and on the package it says 80 hour burn time on high.
              >
              > I would expect 80 hours.
              >
              > When I tested the Princetontec Fuel, it had a 50 hour burn time on high - spec'd
              > and my testing
              >
              > Since the Byte has 2 AAA batteries rather than the 3 AAA in the Fuel, if the
              > Byte had a burn time something like 33 hours I would be happy.
              >

              > All of this is with standard Alkaline batteries.
              >
              > There's a similar poor performance at low intensity, I just gave high to
              > simplify.
              >

              > ________________________________

            • jerry adams
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 5, 2011
                I tried the set of batteries that came with the light

                I additionally tried two different sets of batteries of mine, from two different
                batches.

                Ralph Ditton had the same experience with the Byte he was testing, presumably
                with the batteries that came with the light

                My experience is 1 hour on high, turn it off then back on, it goes into this
                mode where there is a faint light and it doesn't respond to the switch

                I tested the Princetontec Fuel and the burn time I experienced was about the
                same as the PT spec'd burn time