Re: [backpackgeartesters] Re: Princetontec Byte Test Problem

  • jerry adams
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
      I experienced this with the batteries that came with the flashlight initially.

      Then I put in a 2nd set of batteries and experienced the same thing.

      Then I wasn't sure about the quality of the 2nd set of batteries so I repeated
      it with a 3rd set of batteries that had a 2012 expiration date and I measured
      1.57 volts with my volt meter so I know they were good.

      I had the same response from Princetontec in an email (only a few hours burn
      time) but it didn't make any sense and sometimes email can be confusing.

      On the telephone after she told me about it, I said I thought this was totally
      unacceptable and the 80 hour burn time was misleading if you couldn't turn it
      off and she said I could use Lithium batteries instead and it would last another
      hour or so, so I'm pretty sure she understood.

      Yeah, I would like to hear from other testers.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
        Wacky. I don't see why turning off the lamp would cause this, unless there is a major glitch in the circuitry, in which case I would have expected them to be falling over themselves to fix it. Let's wait to hear from the other testers, or indeed anyone on BGT who uses the Byte. Out of curiosity, if you pull the batteries after one hour on high and after the lamp exhibits this condition, I wonder what voltage your voltmeter would read?

        Ted

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, jerry adams <jerryaadams@...> wrote:

        > I experienced this with the batteries that came with the flashlight initially.
        >
        > Then I put in a 2nd set of batteries and experienced the same thing.
        >
        > Then I wasn't sure about the quality of the 2nd set of batteries so I repeated
        > it with a 3rd set of batteries that had a 2012 expiration date and I measured
        > 1.57 volts with my volt meter so I know they were good.
        >
        > I had the same response from Princetontec in an email (only a few hours burn
        > time) but it didn't make any sense and sometimes email can be confusing.
        >
        > On the telephone after she told me about it, I said I thought this was totally
        > unacceptable and the 80 hour burn time was misleading if you couldn't turn it
        > off and she said I could use Lithium batteries instead and it would last another
        > hour or so, so I'm pretty sure she understood.
        >
        > Yeah, I would like to hear from other testers.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Derek Hansen
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
          This is bizarre. My guess is that the light draws too much amperage and kills off the battery -- a single burn until the life is sucked out. Subsequent uses require more amperage from the battery and it just doesn't have it.

          ~derek

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
            1.295 volts after 1 hour.  I believe that is a partially charged battery, maybe
            50%.

            She said something about their being a microprocessor in there, in order to
            boost the voltage from the only 2 AAA batteries.

            If you have a microprocessor, and software, then it can do wacky things.

            ________________________________
            Wacky. I don't see why turning off the lamp would cause this, unless there is a
            major glitch in the circuitry, in which case I would have expected them to be
            falling over themselves to fix it. Let's wait to hear from the other testers, or
            indeed anyone on BGT who uses the Byte. Out of curiosity, if you pull the
            batteries after one hour on high and after the lamp exhibits this condition, I
            wonder what voltage your voltmeter would read?

            Ted

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, jerry adams <jerryaadams@...> wrote:

            > I experienced this with the batteries that came with the flashlight initially.
            >
            > Then I put in a 2nd set of batteries and experienced the same thing.
            >
            > Then I wasn't sure about the quality of the 2nd set of batteries so I repeated

            > it with a 3rd set of batteries that had a 2012 expiration date and I measured
            > 1.57 volts with my volt meter so I know they were good.
            >
            > I had the same response from Princetontec in an email (only a few hours burn
            > time) but it didn't make any sense and sometimes email can be confusing.
            >
            > On the telephone after she told me about it, I said I thought this was totally

            > unacceptable and the 80 hour burn time was misleading if you couldn't turn it
            > off and she said I could use Lithium batteries instead and it would last
            >another
            >
            > hour or so, so I'm pretty sure she understood.
            >
            > Yeah, I would like to hear from other testers.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • jerry adams
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
              Yeah, we should see what the other two testers have found out.  And maybe
              someone else should call customer service at Princetontec ( (609) 298-9331) to
              see if they get the same experience.

              If that verifies, maybe someone has some better contact at Princetontec.  It's
              like this product isn't ready for market.  It would be better for them to go
              back and fix this than get a bad test result.

              ________________________________
              This is bizarre. My guess is that the light draws too much amperage and kills
              off the battery -- a single burn until the life is sucked out. Subsequent uses
              require more amperage from the battery and it just doesn't have it.

              ~derek

              On Jan 4, 2011, at 1:53 PM, Edward wrote:

              > Wacky. I don't see why turning off the lamp would cause this

            • redbike64
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
                Has anybody tried NiMH cells? You'll only get about 2.4V total but their output curves are much better than alkalines. There's also disposable lithium, which put out 1.5+V for extended periods (but are expen$ive).

                I'm very interested in what y'all find out.

                Cheers,

                Rick

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
                  The Byte came with Alkaline batteries.

                  Alkaline are the most common batteries that people use, cheapest.

                  Princetontec says that the Byte will work with Alkaline or Lithium.  The burn
                  time spec is for Alkaline.

                  I assume the test should be done with Alkaline.