FR- Darn Tough Vermont Socks- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2011
      Hi Steve,

      I've posted my FR for the DTV socks to the test folder.  Here's the link and the
      text for your editing pleasure.

      Thanks a lot for taking a look at it.

      Nancy

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR-%20Darn%20Tough%20Socks-%20Nancy%20Griffith/

      http://tinyurl.com/28d432f

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "sock height">>I wore the socks during the Field
      Testing period multiple times per week for a total of approximately 70 miles
      (113 km).  I wore them for 13 day hikes, 6 morning runs, 5 mountain bike rides
      and 2 snowshoe hikes.  I also wore them for daily use such as working in the
      yard, going to the gym and playing tennis.
      Some examples of my uses include:
      Snowshoeing:
      Bassi Falls; Sierra Nevada, California; 4 mi (6.4 km); 5,000 to 5,500 ft (1,524
      to 1,676 m) elevation; 25 to 30 F (14 to 17 C); overcast conditions
      Day hiking:
      Tomales Point, Point Reyes National Seashore, California; 8 mi (13 km); 0 to 854
      ft (0 to 260 m) elevation; 45 F (7 C); rainy conditions
      Multiple hikes in Sierra Nevada foothills, California; 3 mi (5 km); 743 to 1,262
      ft (226 to 385 m) elevation; 45 to 60 F (7 to 15 C); overcast to sunny to
      downpour conditions
      Auburn State Recreation Area, California: 5.6 mi (9.0 m); 800 to 1,200 ft (244
      to 366 m) elevation; 65 F (18 C); clear to cloudy

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      During the Field Test period, I machine-washed these socks 12 times.  I have
      trouble remembering to turn them inside-out before I throw them in the hamper,
      so for 7 of the 12 washings they were washed inside-out as recommended by the
      manufacturer.
      The socks are cushiony in the ball of the foot and heel regions which makes them
      very comfortable.  They are high enough to extend above my mid-height boots.
      They have been comfortable with multiple pairs of footwear; 2 pairs of
      mid-height boots, low hiking shoes, 2 pairs of running shoes and my biking
      shoes.
      My feet were warm while wearing these socks in temperatures down to 25 F (14 C)
      which is the lowest temperatures they've seen so far.  I would typically wear
      calf-height socks for snowshoeing, but I wore these instead.  I was able to tuck
      my thermal pants into them and have the thermals stay in place, so I didn't mind
      wearing these 1/4 height socks for snowshoeing.
      The odor resistance has been good.  I purposely wore them multiple times between
      washings just to see how they would do.  It hasn't been particularly warm so my
      feet were not sweating.  The breathability of the socks seems good.  I never
      noticed any tendency for my feet to get overly warm while wearing these socks.
      They have stayed in place during all of my activities and have worn well so
      far.  There is no sign of any wear areas.  There is no loss of shape or
      loosening of elastic.

      SUMMARY

      The Darn Tough Vermont Poppy Gall socks are a high quality, durable pair of
      hiking socks.
      Likes:
      Comfortable
      Stay put
      Durable
      Dislikes:
      None
      This concludes my Field Report.  Check back in two months for my Long-Term
      Report.  Thanks to Darn Tough Vermont and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me
      to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2011.  All rights reserved.