IR - Canada Goose HyBridge Jacket - Ben Mansfield

  • Ben Mansfield
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 17, 2010
      My IR is here:

      http://tinyurl.com/24rybpy

      and the text version is below.

      Happy holidays to all!

      -B.

      -----------------

      Canada GOose HyBridge Jacket

      Initial Report

      Reviewer Profile
      Name: Ben Mansfield
      Age: 33
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 0" (1.8 m)
      Weight: 175 lbs (80 kg)
      E-mail Address: benmansfield27 AT gmail DOT com
      City, State, Country: North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA

      Backpacking Background
      I have been backpacking for well over 15 years. These days my normal
      trips are long weekends, though I do occasionally get out for a longer
      trip. My normal stomping grounds are western Pennsylvania and southern
      Ohio, and I have backpacked nearly all of the North Country Trail as
      it runs through Pennsylvania.

      I consider myself a mid-weight hiker, but trending with the rest of
      the community towards a lighter load. My typical base pack weight (no
      food, no water) is around 20 lbs (9 kg) or less, and doesn't vary much
      with the seasons.

      Initial Report

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Canada Goose
      Model: HyBridge Jacket
      Manufacturer URL: www.canada-goose.com
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      MSRP: N/A
      Manufacturer's Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 1 lb 10 oz (737 g) - men's size large
      Size Tested: Men's Large
      Country of Origin: Canada

      Product Description

      The Canada Goose HyBridge Jacket is a down and soft shell hybrid
      jacket that puts the down where I want it (primarily my chest and
      back) and uses a PolarTec softshell material for places that
      insulation doesn't make as much sense, like in the arms and shoulders.
      Canada Goose calls this concept of targeted insulation "Thermal
      Mapping Technology." It's a great idea - the down beneath my
      backpack's shoulder straps gets so compressed that it's insulating
      capability is diminished anyway. And not having overstuffed down
      sleeves means that I look less like a marshmallow and feel like I have
      a little more natural range of motion.

      Canada Goose didn't stop at Thermal Mapping Technology with the
      HyBridge jacket, however... this thing is packed with features. As an
      added bonus, the features are meaningful and not simply marketing
      gimmicks. First off, Canada Goose is famous for their down outerwear,
      and they use top-notch 750 fill-power Canadian Hutterite white duck
      down in the HyBridge jacket. The other thing to note is that Canada
      Goose sources their down from a company that does not harvest its
      feathers from live birds.

      The softshell material Canada Goose uses is high quality as well. I'm
      a big fan of Polartec, and the HyBridge jacket uses a blend of 80%
      Polyester and 20% Polartec Power Shield O2 material with a durable
      water repellent finish for the soft shell portions, which cover the
      shoulders and arms. The shell that contains the down is ripstop nylon,
      also with a durable water repellent finish. The Power Shield O2 serves
      to block the majority of wind while still allowing the jacket to
      breathe. It also feels like it will be relatively resistant to tear
      and abrasion. The lining behind the down covered portions of the
      HyBridge jacket is a really soft material made from recycled
      polyester, with a weave that is down proof so that the jacket doesn't
      leak feathers. It also has a durable water repellent finish. Behind
      the soft-shell portions of the HyBridge is a really soft fleece
      material.

      The down-filled portion of the jacket covers the chest and back areas,
      and is quilted in a square pattern to keep the down in place. It
      doesn't feel bulky or overstuffed, presumably due to the high quality
      down and its strategic placement.

      The sleeves of the HyBridge jacket are articulated at the elbows via a
      couple of sewn-in darts. They also have an elastic cuff which is
      recessed just slightly so that the softshell portion covers much of
      the elastic. The sleeves also have a pair of reflective stripes around
      each bicep to enhance visibility at night. The hem around the waist is
      also adjustable, which allows me to tighten it down to seal out wind
      and cold.

      Another feature of the HyBridge jacket is a grab strap at the top
      center of the back of the jacket. It's a really robust-feeling piece
      of 1 inch (2.5 cm) wide webbing bar-tacked into the jacket. It is so
      robust, in fact, that I wonder if it would actually support the weight
      of a person zipped into the jacket. I suppose it would be a benefit
      for an injured person who needed to be transported, though it's not
      clear to me if this is the intention of Canada Goose.

      The HyBridge jacket also has a pair of zippered pockets on the
      outside, as well as an inner pocket that secures with a hook-and-loop
      closure and is sized about right for a spare hat or maybe a pair of
      goggles. The outside zipper pockets are lined with the nylon shell
      material on one side (facing out) and a soft fleece material on the
      inside (closest to my body). Speaking of zippers, the full-length
      double front zipper feels pretty robust, and is backed up by a storm
      flap to limit wind coming through the zipper. The top zipper of the
      front zipper pair has a well-sized pull, as do the side pocket zipper
      pulls.

      Canada Goose offers the HyBridge jacket in men's and women's styles.
      The men's model comes in a size range from small to extra, extra
      large. This covers a chest size range from 34 to 51 inches (86 to 130
      cm). I normally measure around a 42 inch (107 cm) chest, so I opted to
      test the men's large. The manufacturer calls the cut of the HyBridge
      jacket "Slim Insulated." There are also three color choices in the
      men's model - black, red, and mid grey.

      Several tags are sewn into the lower left side seam of the jacket. Use
      and care instructions are printed here, and I was surprised to see
      that machine washing is allowed, albeit in a front-loading washer
      only. The instructions also suggest line drying, no bleach, no
      ironing, and no dry cleaning.

      Another tag inside the jacket is a quality assurance tag from the Down
      Association of Canada, basically certifying that Canada Goose used
      good quality down. A hang-tag accompanying the jacket gave a little
      more detail on the meaning. Basically, it's a certification of origin
      (Canada, from Feather Industries), a statement that it's
      hypo-allergenic and lab tested and exceeds Canadian and international
      standards for cleanliness.

      Canada Goose offers a lifetime warranty against defects in material
      and workmanship for all of their garments. Like many manufacturers,
      they don't cover damage from wear and tear, negligence, and the like.
      They process their warranty work through the original retailer.

      Initial Impressions

      I was super excited when the HyBridge jacket showed up. I immediately
      unpacked the jacket and pulled it on, only to discover that it was a
      little tighter than I expected. I'm used to technical clothing being a
      little slimmer in cut, but this felt a bit too slim. Taking the jacket
      off, I realized I was wearing a size medium, not the large that I had
      requested. After a little more investigation, I noticed that the
      packing slip indicated a large jacket being packed, and the outer
      plastic wrap that covered the jacket had a sticker that indicated a
      size large, but the jacket inside that plastic was a medium, as
      indicated by the sewn-in tag, the hang tag, and how poorly it fit me.

      At this point I was pretty disappointed, as I was planning a
      backpacking trip the very next weekend with temperature forecasts well
      below freezing, even during the day. It would have been the perfect
      situation in which to try out the HyBridge. I called the customer
      service number on the Canada Goose website, and was answered by a
      machine that indicated higher than normal call volumes due to the
      holiday season. I was then transferred to a voice mail box, where I
      left a message summarizing my situation.

      A day or two later I also sent an email to Canada Goose customer
      service via a form on their website. I got a prompt reply within a few
      hours from a real person that indicated that I should manage my return
      through the retailer from whom I purchased the jacket. Seems
      reasonable, but due to the fact that I received this jacket through
      BackpackGearTest.org, I had to use some alternate channels to get the
      jacket swapped.

      Outside of the sizing issue, however, I'm still really excited about
      this jacket. I even contemplated taking the size medium with me on my
      trip, but I didn't want to unfairly evaluate a jacket that wasn't my
      size. I also didn't want to use a jacket in the field that I would
      likely be exchanging for size.

      Thankfully, I did wind up receiving a replacement just in time to take
      the correct size large with me on my trip, so I'll be able to include
      that experience in my field report that I'll post in a few months.

      The quality and construction of the jacket is top notch. All seams are
      finished well, and stitching is even throughout the jacket. I was
      particularly interested in seams where the down portions and the
      softshell portions meet, and these seams are really professional as
      well.

      I would like to thank Canada Goose and BackpackGearTest.org for the
      opportunity to test the HyBridge jacket.
    • ernie.elkins
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 21, 2010
        Ben:

        You've written a superb initial report. Your description of the jacket is thorough and easy to follow, and you do a great job of illustrating the jacket's features with your photos. No edits! Please upload at your convenience.

        Thanks,

        Ernie
      • ben.mansfield
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2011
          Ernie,

          All set. Thanks for the kind words. Hope you had a nice holiday break.

          -Ben