LTR OR Sentinel Shirt--Rick D

  • redbike64
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2010
      Howdy Campers,

      Here's my Sentinel shirt long-term report, with test file at this url:

      http://tinyurl.com/2bqnsdc

      Cheers,

      Rick

      Outdoor Research Sentinel Shirt
      Test Series by Rick Dreher <<IMAGE 1>>
      LTR
      November 29, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Rick Dreher
      EMAIL: redbike64(at)hotmail(dot)com
      AGE: 56
      LOCATION: Northern California
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.10 m)
      WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.40 kg)
      FOOT SIZE US men's 11.5
      TORSO LENGTH 19.5 in (50 cm)
      YEARS HIKING 41

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      Long-Term Test Locations & Conditions

      I took the Sentinel on one backpacking trip to California's Desolation Wilderness and on two day hikes in the Tahoe area. I wore around town on buggy evenings after fall rains returned, stirring the local mosquito populace to action.

      Temperatures encountered ranged from the low 40s F (/5 C) to the mid 80s F (30 C). Weather ranged from clear to drizzly. Altitudes ranged from sea level to 8,600 feet (2,600 m). I only encountered mosquitoes locally; in the mountains they've been gone since I posted the field report. I did run into some pesky yellow jackets in the mountains, though.

      Performance in the Field

      <b>On the Trail:</b> I revisited wearing the Sentinel for day hiking in cooler weather than the field report, and it proved more agreeable than in summer heat. It's comfortable under a pack, with no annoying bunching under the straps or the back panel, and I didn't overheat when exerting myself. I didn't have any other new comfort insights while wearing it around town-it's a nice, mid-weight shirt.

      <b>Bugs:</b> Mosquito resistance remains the same as during the field report. They land but don't stay long enough to bite. Yellow jackets ("meat bees") neither bit nor stung me through it after landing on me, but I didn't have a full-fledged assault to fend off either. (They can be very aggressive in fall and have no qualms about gnawing at anything that might prove to be a meal. They're especially drawn to open food, keeping mealtimes quick.)

      <b>Laundry, Wear and Tear:</b> Further washings haven't bothered the Sentinel and it still looks good. As before, I see no fabric pilling or other damage and the bug repellency remains effective. No more buttonholes are unraveling.

      Summary

      I'm quite sold on permethrin fabric treatment. It's not a complete DEET substitute but it really reduces how much I use and frankly, in some ways is more effective. Plus, I've never enjoyed slathering myself in DEET.

      The Sentinel is a nice shirt, comfortable and offering good utility. Because it's not laser-focused on camping, I can also wear it at home and in town, extending its usefulness.

      <b>Suggestions:</b> Repeating myself from the field report, I'd like an option in a lighter fabric for truly warm weather. The collar extension design needs a rework to keep it up, extending neck protection.

      Continued Use

      The Sentinel will be back in my pack next spring, right after meltoff, and will remain until the mountains dry out in late summer and mosquitoes and blackflies are gone. It, along with treated pants and a headnet, give nearly complete protection against the mountains' buggy hordes. This has been quite a revelation.

      Acknowledgements

      My sincere thanks to Outdoor Research and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test the Sentinel shirt!

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.