FR-CamelBak Antidote Reservoir-Cheryl McMurray

  • Cheryl Mcmurray
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 22, 2010
      HI,
      Here's my FR for the CamelBak Antidote. The url is http://tinyurl.com/392bwlf
      Thanks,
      Cheryl

      FIELD TESTING REPORT

      I've tested the CamelBak Antidote at total of 9 days in the field with my backpack and three different day packs.

      Location: McGee Creek area, Eastern Sierras near Mammoth, California
      Trip Duration: 3 day, 2 night
      Distance: 16 mi (26 km) backpack, 6 mi (10 km) day hike
      Temperature: 40 F (4 C) to 75 F (24 C)
      Elevation: 7,600 ft (2,300 m) to 13,000 ft (4,000 m)
      Conditions: Sunny with some strong winds

      Location: Mt Baldy, San Gabriel Mts, Southern California (three times)
      Trip Duration: Day hike
      Distance: 8 mi (13 km)
      Temperature: 58 F (14 C) to 85 F (29 C) first two times
      Temperature: 39 F (4 C) to 65 F (18 C) third time
      Elevation: 6,200 ft (1,900 m) to 10,000 ft (3,000 m)
      Conditions: Breezy to windy, sunny

      Location: Peter's Canyon, Southern California
      Trip Duration: Day hike
      Distance: 7 mi (11 km)
      Temperature: 65 F (18 C)
      Elevation: 500 ft (150 m) to 700 ft (200 m)
      Conditions: Cloudy, foggy, damp

      Location: Joshua Tree National Park, Southern California
      Trip Duration: 2 day, 1 night
      Distance: 3 mi (5 km) backpack, 6 mi (10 km) day hike
      Temperature: 47 F (8 C) to 70 F (21 C)
      Elevation: 3,100 ft (900 m) to 5,300 ft (1,600 m)
      Conditions: Partly cloudy, intermittent winds

      EASE OF USE/PERFORMANCE

      Backpacking

      I have no hydration sleeve inside of my backpack so I placed the reservoir in the mesh pocket on the front of the pack which actually worked very well. The hose, measuring 39 in (99 cm), was long enough to reach around the side of the pack and clip onto the shoulder strap. I filled the reservoir at home before leaving on the trip and with the 1/4 turn locking system of the port, it was very easy to fill and close it. I had no issues with the reservoir leaking while being transported in my car and I attached the hose at the trailhead with the quick release with no problems of leaking. The mesh pocket on my pack is deep, however the reservoir, being pliable, needed to be strapped down under the port area so that it would not fold over after losing shape as the water level decreased.

      Antidote in front pocket of backpack
      Hose attached to pack
      Antidote stored in front mesh pocket
      Hose attached to shoulder strap

      Day Hiking

      I have used the reservoir in three different day packs. The first one was just a summit pack that I used on the backpacking trip which did have a reservoir sleeve to slip the Antidote into along with a thin foam pad for some support. After drinking most of the water the reservoir did sink down into the sleeve but I never noticed it while wearing the pack. The other two packs are conventional day packs with large reservoir sleeves, an exit port and a support structure. The sleeker design of the reservoir enabled me to insert it into the hydration sleeve of my larger day pack while it was almost full. I usually need to pull bulkier things out first before inserting previous hydration systems so this was a nice feature. The Antidote has worked very well in all three packs and the hose has always been long enough but not too long that it gets in my way. I like the right angle that the bite valve has as it makes it easier to drink but I have noticed that it can hook onto my arm when taking the pack off.

      Antidote in summit day pack
      Hose length inserted in summit day pack
      Antidote inserted in hydration sleeve of summit day pack
      Hose length in summit day pack

      Filtering Water

      On the backpacking trip I needed to filter water into the reservoir when I got to camp and this is where I had some difficulty. The material is not stiff enough to stand up on it's own and since I didn't have anyone to hold it up for me I laid it on an incline on the ground. I was only able to get it about half full before the water began to spill out so I closed the port and filled a 33 oz (1 l) container to fill the rest of the reservoir by transferring the water. It only required an extra step and I always bring extra water containers so it didn't become an issue. One thing I really did like was the ability to disconnect the hose, leaving that attached to the pack, and just taking the reservoir with me down to the creek. I blew any water that was in the hose back into the reservoir first and then disconnected it without any leakage.

      UNBOTTLE SLEEVE

      I did use the UnBottle sleeve on one of my day hikes up to Mt. Baldy. The temperatures were forecasted as very hot that weekend and I thought it would be good to have the benefit of ice water during the hike. I filled the reservoir 3/4 full with water and placed it in the refrigerator the day before the hike to get it cold. The next morning I filled it as full as possible with ice cubes and inserted it into the UnBottle sleeve. It went in easily and I was able to feed the hose down and connect it without any issues or leaking. After zipping everything up I placed it in my pack and fed the hose through the hydration port. Although the temperatures turned out to be mild at high altitude, I enjoyed ice cold water for the entire hike which took me 5 1/2 hrs. The entire timing thus far was 7 hrs from the time that I added the ice cubes to the reservoir. In order to keep the water in the hose cold, I blew the water back into the reservoir after each drink. The water flow from the Big Bite Valve flowed very easily which was nice since the trail was very steep the whole way up and I needed all of my extra oxygen for breathing. When I was done with the hike I put the pack in the back of my car and proceeded down into the the lowlands parking the car at a restaurant with an outside temperature of 100 F (38 C). From the end of my hike until the time that I left the restaurant was another 4 hrs and upon testing the water with another drink before leaving, the water temperature had rose from ice cold to just cold. Not bad after 11 hours.

      DRYING

      After each trip I disconnect the hose, empty the reservoir, rotate the drying arms out, insert some paper towel in the bottom and hang it using the handle drop slot. The dryer arms are easy to use but seem slightly delicate so I use care when extending them. By the next day the reservoir is completely dry, however if I don't put the paper towel in the bottom, a small puddle will forms there and I have to hand dry that area. I am able to insert my whole hand into the fill port and down into the reservoir without any issues. After disconnecting the hose I pull off the bite valve and the valve lock, setting them aside to dry. The quick release insert is not removeable, however, there is a large opening for air to enter. I usually take it outside and swing it around to get as much water out first. After hanging the hose for 5 days there are still some very small beads of water in it but so far no mildew in either the hose or the reservoir has developed.

      DURABILITY

      I'm very careful to store the reservoir away from sharp objects either in transit to a trip or in my backpack and so far the durability of the Antidote has been excellent with no punctures or seam failures. The Big Bite Valve does not leak after taking a drink but seals back up nicely. The shut off valve has been reliable, completely shutting off any flow of water through the hose and the hose quick release has performed flawlessly without any leaking.

      WHAT I LIKE

      Quick release hose
      1/4 turn to close the fill port
      Dryer arms
      Streamline profile
      Excellent water flow from the Big Bite Valve
      Shut off valve to keep from accidental leaking
      Long enough hose to store the reservoir in the front mesh pocket of my backpack

      WHAT I DISLIKE

      Would like to see a loop at the bottom of the reservoir for hanging it to dry upside down
      Hose does not completely dry after 5 days of hang drying
      Filtering water is difficult due to the pliable material when filtering solo

      Check back in a few months for my Long Term Test.

    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 22, 2010
        Hi Cheryl,

        Check you out girl, you are so spot on with your FR. The only thing is, it's not due until 4 Jan 2011. Although you and Chad received your product in Sept, Andrea, who's out of the US didn't get hers until late Oct. The dates for reports are set according to the date the last person posts their IR. So the two month FR testing didn't officially start until 1 Nov. That means, you and Chad get some extra time with your gear and you have even less work to do come Jan. :)

        I think the farthest in advance, without special permission, we can post a report is 2 weeks btw. Hang on to this one lady and you'll be all set.

        Jamie D
        CamelBak Antidote Monitor

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Cheryl Mcmurray <cherylmcmurray2@...> wrote:

        > HI,
        > Here's my FR for the CamelBak Antidote. The url is http://tinyurl.com/392bwlf
        > Thanks,
        > Cheryl
      • Cheryl Mcmurray
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 23, 2010
          Hi Jamie,
          I was looking at when I posted my IR which was Sept. 23rd so I calculated 2 mos from that for my FR unless it is a longer test length. Check out my test page with the IR upload date. I've been known to be wrong before but only once or twice (ha).
          Cheryl
          On Nov 22, 2010, at 9:12 PM, Jamie D. wrote:

          > Hi Cheryl,
          >
          > Check you out girl, you are so spot on with your FR. The only thing is, it's not due until 4 Jan 2011. Although you and Chad received your product in Sept, Andrea, who's out of the US didn't get hers until late Oct. The dates for reports are set according to the date the last person posts their IR. So the two month FR testing didn't officially start until 1 Nov. That means, you and Chad get some extra time with your gear and you have even less work to do come Jan. :)
          >
          > I think the farthest in advance, without special permission, we can post a report is 2 weeks btw. Hang on to this one lady and you'll be all set.
          >
          > Jamie D
          > CamelBak Antidote Monitor
          >
          > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Cheryl Mcmurray <cherylmcmurray2@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > HI,
          > > Here's my FR for the CamelBak Antidote. The url is http://tinyurl.com/392bwlf
          > > Thanks,
          > > Cheryl

        • Cheryl Mcmurray
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 23, 2010
            I got it Jamie. Now I understand the date posting. I'll just enjoy testing this reservoir a little longer. Thanks for the info.
            Cheryl
            On Nov 22, 2010, at 9:12 PM, Jamie D. wrote:

            > Hi Cheryl,
            >
            > Check you out girl, you are so spot on with your FR. The only thing is, it's not due until 4 Jan 2011. Although you and Chad received your product in Sept, Andrea, who's out of the US didn't get hers until late Oct. The dates for reports are set according to the date the last person posts their IR. So the two month FR testing didn't officially start until 1 Nov. That means, you and Chad get some extra time with your gear and you have even less work to do come Jan. :)
            >
            > I think the farthest in advance, without special permission, we can post a report is 2 weeks btw. Hang on to this one lady and you'll be all set.
            >
            > Jamie D
            > CamelBak Antidote Monitor
            >
            > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Cheryl Mcmurray <cherylmcmurray2@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > HI,
            > > Here's my FR for the CamelBak Antidote. The url is http://tinyurl.com/392bwlf
            > > Thanks,
            > > Cheryl

          • Jamie D.
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 25, 2010
              I know it's weird, especially when you get almost 2 extra months but that's how they work it. No worries, glad we got it all sorted.

              jamie d

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
                  Hi Cheryl,

                  Looks like you had some fun adventures over the last few months despite all the crazy weather you guys have been getting in Cali. Your pics looked nice and the layout was in good shape in the HTML version. Just found a couple little things, upload when ready.
                  Edits are listed below marked with ## below a snip of your words.

                  Safe hiking,
                  Jamie D
                  Monitor – CamelBak Antidote Monitor

                  The material is not stiff enough to stand up on it's own and since I didn't have anyone to hold it up for me I laid it on an incline on the ground.

                  ##Edit –on "its" own

                  I was only able to get it about half full before the water began to spill out so I closed the port and filled a 33 oz (1 l) container to fill the rest of the reservoir by transferring the water.

                  ##Suggestion – (1 l) looks a bit like the number 11, would you consider using a capital L?

                  By the next day the reservoir is completely dry, however if I don't put the paper towel in the bottom, a small puddle will forms there and I have to hand dry that area.

                  ##Edit – will "form" there

                  The quick release insert is not removeable, however, there is a large opening for air to enter.

                  ##Edit – "removable"

                  The Big Bite Valve does not leak after taking a drink but seals back up nicely. The shut off valve has been reliable, completely shutting off any flow of water through the hose and the hose quick release has performed flawlessly without any leaking.

                  ##Edit – you have an extra space between "reliable," and "completely"