LTR OR Helios Sun Hat Mike Mosack

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2010
      Good Day!
      I have included my LTR for the Outdoor Helios Sun Hat and anxiously await your edits.
      Thank you!
      Mike Mosack

      HTML is here and the text follows.
      http://tinyurl.com/23udc3u

      Text is here for the LTR portion of this report -

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      During this testing phase, I have worn the hat approximately 40 times in Afghanistan. Each time was for a duration of a minimum of 2 hours and usually for at least 4 hours and on 7 occasions, I wore the hat longer than 12 hours continuously. The temperatures ranged from approximately 55 F ( C) to 105 F ( C). I did not have any days during this testing period when I could have worn it during rain and all of my experiences during this time were under clear or partly cloudy skies and very low humidity. The elevations were from approximately 1100 feet ( m) to over 6500 feet ( m) above sea level. The terrain here in Afghanistan consists of rocky, sandy or fine powder dusty desert environment which we like to call "moon dust".

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I found that the hat is comfortable when worn. It conveniently covers my face and neck at the same time with its 360 degree brim. The hat is ventilated which keeps me from overheating. I found that its light color, reflects the sun's rays and/or heat much better than when I do not wear the hat and under direct sun. The removable chin strap works well and I have found that I prefer to go without the chin strap. I am not one that likes to let my hat hang from my neck and the adjustable fit of the hat is good enough that I have really not had any issues with the hat being blown off of my head.

      I have taken the opportunity to wash my hat both by hand washing and in a machine. I did not machine dry it however, allowing it to dry naturally by laying it outside or while wearing it. I have found that the hat did not shrink or get misshapen, making sure I flattened out the brim when laying it out. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 13" IMAGE CAPTION = "See you on the trail!">>

      SUMMARY

      I like this hat. Its deceivingly light weight materials gave me the initial impression that the hat might be fragile, but I have found this was just not the case. The hat has taken everything I gave it and still looks and wears like new. My only negative would be that the brim, if stiffer, would allow the hat to retain its shape for molding or forming a "style" and keep the brim from flipping up or down during windier days. I choose to roll my hat for packing to keep the potential for creasing the brim down to a minimum. The hat has found a permanent place with my pack and I plan to continue to wear it often.

      I want to thank Outdoor Research and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this hat.
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2010
        My fixed report has been uploaded and the test file deleted. Thank you so much! I had to search out the edits as I never received them as far as I can find and I think they were lost in space...
        Thanks again :)
        Mike Mosack