IR-Sunday Afternoons Eclipse Cap-Cheryl McMurray

  • Cheryl Mcmurray
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2010
      Hi Ryan and Thomas,
      I'm not sure which of you will be doing the edits but I posted a yahoo group message about my problem uploading my IR to the Test Edits page. I will try again tomorrow in case it is a problem with the server but I just wanted to let you know that I have it done. Here is the IR without the url. If I can get it uploaded tomorrow, I will repost it with the url. If I can't I'll try again late Sunday after I return from a backpacking trip. In the meantime, this attachment might help.
      Regards,
      Cheryl M

      SUNDAY AFTERNOONS ECLIPSE CAP
      TEST SERIES BY CHERYL MCMURRAY
      INITIAL REPORT: November 19, 2010
      FIELD REPORT:
      LONG TERM REPORT:

      TESTER INFORMATION

      Name: Cheryl McMurray
      Age: 51
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 8 in (173 cm)
      Weight: 145 lb (66.6 kg)
      Hat Measurement: 22.5 in (57 cm)
      Email Address: cherylmcmurray2ATgmailDOTcom
      City, State, Country: Garden Grove, California, U.S.

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I've been backpacking and hiking for four years, mostly on weekends year around. Overnight trips are usually long weekend trips in the Eastern Sierras with 32 lb to 40 lb (15 kg to 18 kg) loads depending on the season. One class two rock climb with a day pack is common. Day hikes are 10-15 mi (16 km to 24 km) in the San Gabriel Mountains with loads of 15 lb to 20 lb (7 kg to 9 kg). I'm a tent style camper and have experienced snow, freezing temperatures, high winds, light rain, thunderstorms, but mostly fair weather.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Sunday Afternoons
      Year of manufacture: 2010
      Product: Sunday Afternoons Eclipse Cap
      Listed weight: 2 oz (57 gm)
      Weight as delivered: 2 oz (57 gm)
      Sizes available: Medium, Large
      Size tested: Medium
      Color tested: Baltic
      MSRP: N/A
      Guarantee: Lifetime

      Photo from manufacturer
      Photo from manufacturer (Baltic color)

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Sunday Afternoons Eclipse Cap is a lightweight UPF 50+ cap made of a breathable, water resistant nylon sun fabric featuring a hook & loop sizing adjustment with a rubberized pull tab in the back. The cap features a flip up ventilated crown with mesh panels beneath and integrated wicking sweatband that extends around the inside of the cap measuring 3 in (8 cm) wide in the front and tapering to 2 in (5 cm) wide in the back of the cap. The brim measures 7.5 in (19 cm) wide and 3 in (8 cm) long and is made of two separate pieces joined together at the center to enable the cap to be folded.

      Brim fold
      Cap folded
      Brim fold
      Cap folded

      Vented crown
      Cap inside out showing sweatband
      Vented crown flipped up
      Cap inside out showing the sweatband

      INITIAL IMPRESSION

      My first impressions of the cap is that it is very lightweight, is an attractive color and the material is very soft. It appears well constructed with attention to details like the foldable brim, flip up side ventilation and the pull tab on the hook & loop sizing adjustment strap. The integrated sweatband is a nice touch and the cap seems to contour very nicely to my head. I like the wide longer brim and have high hopes that will keep the sun out of my sensitive eyes. The seams are very neat with a nice finishing hem around the cap.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I took a 1 mi (1.6 km) walk around the neighborhood at 2 pm with very sunny and warm conditions. I was amazed as to how comfortable the cap was with no pressure points at all on my head. The long wide brim kept the sun out of my eyes and I never felt my head overheat at all. I tried different positions of the rear adjustment strap and was able to adjust it from a looser but fairly secure fit to a snug fit that I'm hoping will help in higher winds since there is no chin strap. In order to get the fit to be snug I needed to adjust the strap as far as it would go but it did seem to stay put.

      Front view Side view Back view
      Front view Side view
      Back view

      SUMMARY

      The Sunday Afternoons Eclipse Cap is a stylish UPF 50+ sun hat with some unique features like the foldable brim, convertible side airvents and integrated sweatband. The cap appears to be well made with attention to details and so far has been very comfortable on my brief walk to try it out. The material is soft and molds nicely around my head.

      Check back in a few months for my Field Test Report and I want to thank Sunday Afternoons and BGT for this opportunity to test this new product.

    • Cheryl Mcmurray

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2010
          Cheryl,

          Sorry for the delay in getting your edits to you. I've been down with a bad back. Nice report, I like the photos. Your TinyURL link did not work. No worries, I found your HTML file in the TESTS folder. Just a few minor things for you to address and you're good to post in the appropriate folder.

          Edit: <My first impressions of the cap is that it is very lightweight,> -- subject / verb agreement issue - consider changing "cap is that" to "cap are that" to correct -- fix as you see fit

          Edit: <airvents> I assume these words should be seperated -- please correct as you see fit

          Edit: <and have high hopes that will keep the sun out> -- I believe you need an "it" between "that" and "will" - please correct as you see fit

          EDIT: Per Chapter 5 Test Report Requirements of the Bylaws, you need to add a statement at the end of your report similar to the following:
          "This concludes my Initial Report. The Field Report will be amended to this report in approximately two months from the date of this report . Please check back then for further information."

          See you in about two months. Ryan
        • Cheryl Mcmurray
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
            Thank you Ryan for your edits. They are all completed and I have uploaded the review to the proper folder. I hope your back recovers quickly.
            Cheryl