LTR: HighGear Axio Max watch - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2010
      Ray, et al:

      Here is my Long-Term Report on the HighGear Axio Max multi-function watch. The
      html version is available via this link: http://snipurl.com/1fd3gu and the text
      version is included below for your review.

      Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions on this report and your help
      throughout the test series.

      LONG TERM REPORT
      November 9, 2010

      likes and dislikes have not changed from those stated in the Field Report.
      Overall, I like this multifunction watch and will continue to use it.

      Likes Thus Far

      - stylish look
      - simple display
      - easily toggle between modes
      - smaller than I anticipated

      Dislikes Thus Far

      - brevity of the instructions
      - difficulty calibrating compass

      Field Locations and Test Conditions:

      In mid-October, I hiked in Hell's Half Acre National Landmark. The elevation is
      approximately 5,300 ft (1,615 m) above sea level. The temperature was in the 50s
      F (10 - 15 C), winds were calm, the sky was overcast and there was a slight rain
      on one of the hikes. Hell's Half Acre is a 66,000 acres (267 km2) lava field and
      is the youngest of the eastern basaltic lava fields of the Snake River Plain of
      southeastern Idaho. The lava rock is extremely sharp, glassy and fragmented,
      with open cracks, lava tubes and caves. Hiking in Hell's Half Acre is a unique
      and somewhat surreal experience.

      Observations:

      Not having worn the watch for some time, when I donned it for my hike in Hell's
      Half Acre, I noticed that the altimeter needed to be recalibrated. I did so
      without any difficulty.

      I am certain it is me, but I continue to struggle with calibrating the compass.
      I thought over time, I would get the hang of it, but it takes me several
      attempts to succeed.

      Had it not been for Daylight Savings Time ending on Sunday November 7th, I would
      have had no need to adjust the time even once during this test series. The watch
      has kept perfect time.

      The alarms continue to work well; I wake every morning to the Axio's daily
      alarm. I tested the hydration alarm on my hike in Hell's Half Acre--it worked
      perfectly.

      The weather icon has worked well throughout the test series. Although it
      indicated rain numerous times, I never experienced more than a sprinkle--but
      that is okay with me. The thermometer has performed equally well. When wearing
      it around town, I have checked it against the temperatures shown on various
      illuminated signs. The Axio has been within a degree each and every time.

      The case, face, and band have held up well. There are no noticeable signs of
      wear. The battery remains strong. The watch is comfortable to wear.

      This concludes my Axio Max multi-function watch Test Series. I am very pleased
      with its performance and will continue to use this timepiece on my future
      outdoor adventures. Thanks to HIGHGEAR and BackpackGearTest for allowing me to
      participate in this test.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2010
        Hi Ryan,

        I have no edits for you and just a couple comments. It was nice working with you on this series.

        See you down the trail,

        Ray

        ***I am certain it is me, but I continue to struggle with calibrating the compass. I thought over time, I would get the hang of it, but it takes me several attempts to succeed.

        Comment: have you ever tried using a water glass to help do it? I have the High Gear ATF8 and was recalibrating mine each time I would go back and forth between MN and CA. It makes it a lot easier.

        *** When wearing it around town, I have checked it against the temperatures shown on various illuminated signs. The Axio has been within a degree each and every time.

        Comment: I find this quite strange. All the watches I had only read accurately when they are off my arm as my body temp throws them off.
      • bigdawgryan
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 10, 2010
          Ray,

          Thanks for the quick turnaround on the edits. In addition, I truly appreciate your comments. I reworded the paragraph referencing comparing to illuminated signs (I too had to remove watch). I am anxious to try using a water glass to see if I can calibrate the digital compass on my first try.

          File posted in the appropriate folder and file deleted from TESTS folder.

          See you on the next one,

          Ryan