IR - Obermeyer Kennedy Jacket - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2010
      Jamie,

      Below is the text for my Obermeyer Kennedy Jacket - a very nice jacket,
      indeed! The HTML with pictures can be found in the test folder at:
      http://tinyurl.com/369mqkv

      Thanks in advance for your comments and edits.

      Kathy
      _______________________________________

      OBERMEYER KENNEDY JACKET
      TEST SERIES BY KATHLEEN WATERS

      INITIAL REPORT

      INITIAL REPORT - November 06, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kathleen Waters
      EMAIL: kathy@...
      AGE: 59
      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.60 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to
      backpack. There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land
      bordering my 71-acre/29-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other
      gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado. Over the past 15 years, my
      husband John and I have also had the good fortune to hike/snowshoe glaciers,
      rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic locations, including New
      Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley. My hiking style is
      comfortable, aiming for lightweight. I use a tent (rainfly if needed).
      Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and water.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Sport Obermeyer
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.obermeyer.com
      MSRP: US $389.00
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 2 lb 2 oz (964 g)
      Available Colors: Aqua Frost, Black, Black/Aqua Frost, Black/Cassis,
      Black/Iris, Cassis Red, Glowstick, Iris, and Pink Ruby
      Tested Color: Aqua Frost
      Available Sizes: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16
      Tested Size: 8
      Fabric: Synergy - 100% polyester with HydroBlock® XLS waterproof-breathable
      laminate and DuroGuard, durable, water-repellent fabric protector
      Insulation: Thinsulate Type G 80gm
      Waterproofing: 20k mm/10k g
      Picture Courtesy of Obermeyer

      FEATURES
      .Adjustable interior hem drawcord
      .Articulated elbows
      .CZV - Control Zone Ventilation
      .Fleece chin protector
      .Fleece inside collar panels
      .Full-motion sleeve construction
      .Fully seam-sealed
      .Fused zipper(s)
      .Gusseted sleeve cuffs with adjustable tabs
      .Inside Lycra
      .Inside mesh "earbud" stow pocket
      .Inside mesh/Lycra
      .Integrated, adjustable powder skirt with stretch panel
      .Interior Lycra
      .Internal zipper windguard
      .Key holder
      .Lycra
      .Mesh inserts in vents
      .RECCO System
      .Removable technical hood
      .Scratch-free, absorbent goggle cloth
      .Secure storage pocket with zipper
      .Ski pass D-ring
      .Tricot-lined hand pocket(s)
      .Waterproof zipper(s)
      .Zipper chest pocket(s)
      .Zipper sleeve pocket(s)
      .Fit: Mid Length, slightly shaped

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      This is one GORGEOUS jacket! I pretty much knew what the Kennedy would look
      like from the Obermeyer website, but in person it is really impressive. The
      color scheme of my jacket is a very attractive, very bright white with aqua
      princess-seamed side panels and aqua trim in the form of "piping" accenting
      the pockets, zippers and collar lining. The interior is a mix of black and
      grey fabrics.

      Construction of the jacket is quite complex; a web of (almost invisible)
      seams not only give the jacket shape as in the princess seams, but also to
      give it a full range of motion as with the articulating elbows.

      While the outer shell is a sturdy smooth-feeling polyester, the interior is
      mostly Lycra with panels of a very light fleece where there is skin contact.
      Breathable mesh lines the two "pit zip" vents which are a generous 11.5
      inches (29 cm) long, the detachable (or stow-able) hood, and three of the
      five interior pockets.

      Mesh Vented Pit Zip

      Speaking of pockets - there are bunches of them! Two of them are on the
      front waist of the Kennedy - hand pockets - and then there is a Napoleon
      pocket at the left chest. All three of these sport approximately 5.5 inch
      (14 cm) zipper openings. A slanted 5 inch (13 cm) zipper on the left wrist
      reveals yet another small pocket - note to self - a good spot for a sport
      gel or two, maybe a lip balm as well! Oh, I almost forgot to mention! In the
      chest pocket is an attached absorbent cloth to clean my glasses, sunglasses
      or goggles. And in the left front waist pocket is a D-ring for clipping on
      my lift ticket or whatever. In the right front waist pocket is a snap-able
      loop for my keys.

      Inside the Kennedy jacket, there are a total of five more pockets. Only one
      of the pockets has a zippered closure, the other four have a stretchy top
      opening. Inside the approximately 6 x 6 inch (15 x 15 cm) zippered pocket
      which is on the left front and is mesh, is another perfectly-sized pocket
      for an mp3 player. It's obvious this inner pouch's purpose is to carry my
      tunes as directly above the outer pocket is a small circular mesh pouch for
      my earbud! How neat is that! On the right interior of the jacket are two
      more pockets, one of mesh and one smaller pouch inside of the mesh one. Lots
      of storage! Now, all I'll have to do is memorize some sort of system to
      where I stow everything!
      Chest Pocket Goggle Cloth

      Interior Earbud Pouch

      In keeping with all the other thoughtful touches in the Kennedy jacket,
      Obermeyer has constructed the hood in a technical manner with four separate
      stretch adjustment loops with toggle locking mechanisms for a custom fit.
      When the north winds blow, I can really snug down the hood to keep them out,
      yet with the full hood mesh lining, there should still be venting. The hood
      attaches to the stand-up collar and is removable via a 5.5 inch (14 cm)
      zipper.

      To further keep out the nastier winter weather conditions, Obermeyer has
      incorporated a powderskirt with a front waist snap closure and rubberized
      elastic bottom and an interiorly- adjustable drawcord. There are also
      unique, very nice, thumb looped cuffs which are separate from the jacket
      lining. That is to say, the cuffs are separate pieces which are sewn into
      the sleeves of the jacket about 5 inches (13 cm) up the sleeves from the
      cuffs of the jacket proper.

      4 Loop and Barrel Lock Hood Adjustors

      Supplementary Cuff with Thumb Loop

      Lastly, Obermeyer has installed the Recco Avalanche Rescue System in the
      Kennedy. This is a reflective device which requires no activation, no
      batteries, cannot lose signal strength and has virtually unlimited duration.
      According to the Recco website, "The RECCO® system is an exceptional
      additional search method since it can pinpoint the exact location of burial
      with harmonic radar." "Burial"? Yikes! Don't like the sound of that, but
      realistically, anytime I'm snowshoeing/backpacking in the winter, there is a
      possibility of mishaps, so the RECCO® system is a good thing! There are over
      600 resorts worldwide which use the RECCO® system and a quick glance at the
      North American lists assured me I'll be covered in most of my usual winter
      haunts. Bring on the snow!

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The Obermeyer warranty reads "We guarantee that the materials and
      workmanship in all of the products we make will stand up to the use for
      which they are designed. Any defects in the materials or workmanship are
      covered for the lifetime of the product. Our warranty does not cover normal
      wear and tear, misuse, accidents, fading or the natural breakdown of
      materials over time. Just call us and ask for "Customer Service."

      On the Obermeyer website I learned that dirt and grime can disrupt the
      waterproofing and breathability of the jacket fabric by clogging the pores.
      This allows water to soak through and prevents water vapor from escaping. To
      reopen these pores and restore the effectiveness of the coatings, Obermeyer
      advises careful cleaning and drying as follows:

      * DO NOT DRY CLEAN
      * Wash in COLD water separately.
      * DO NOT use fabric softeners or bleach.
      * Use a non-detergent cleanser or a very mild powder detergent - minimize
      soap usage
      * Use the washing machine's GENTLE cycle, or hand-wash.
      * Rinse very thoroughly; better yet, rinse it twice.
      * Gently squeeze most of the water from the garment - DO NOT WRING.
      * LINE-DRY the jacket until it is completely dry.
      * DO NOT hang over a heat source to speed drying - this can damage the
      jacket's fabric and the waterproof/breathable coating.

      As my jacket is bright white (!) I will be very interested in how it holds
      up to my outdoor activities. I will be extra careful to follow the care
      instructions so as to keep it "bright white"!

      TRYING IT OUT

      Right now it's a record-breaking 76 F (24 C) here in Canon City, Colorado,
      so trying on a winter jacket feels a bit premature! Even with Obermeyer's
      Control Zone Ventilation, the Kennedy wouldn't be my first choice of
      clothing today! However, my excitement and curiosity had me quickly pulling
      on the jacket and checking it out anyway.

      Before ordering the jacket, I had placed a telephone call to Obermeyer's
      customer service to chat about the size chart on their website. My chest
      measurement is exactly the size 8 (35.5"/90 cm) measurement and I wanted
      advice on that. With layering in mind, I wasn't sure whether to go with the
      size 8 or go with the size 10 to prevent the layers from making me look and
      feel "stuffed". The very nice gentleman who answered my call confirmed my
      reasoning that layering would be anticipated and ordering my "correct" size
      was the way to go. When I received the Kennedy, I found he was right!

      The jacket feels very comfortable over a mid-weight top I often wear as a
      mid-layer and even after adding a light fleece (help, I'm sweating!), my
      movements are not restricted. That said, the Kennedy is close-fitting and I
      won't be layering bulky tops or ski sweaters underneath. If Nordic Snowmen
      sweaters were my style, I'd definitely need to "size up".

      Generally, when winter hiking and snowshoeing, I wear a very thin (silk or
      wool) base layer, another technical layer (either a mid-weight base layer or
      a light fleece depending on the temps) and an outer layer. As far as fit
      goes, this system will work fine with the Kennedy.

      Everything about this jacket is pleasurable to the touch. The lining is
      soft, the thumb loops are snug but do not pull on me, the chin lining, the
      pocket linings and the powder skirt all feel soothing to my skin which is
      very dry right now. Even the venting mesh has a flexible, not-stiff texture.
      The outer shell material appears to be sturdy yet, again, not stiff. Very
      nice!

      Checking out the construction of the Kennedy, I'm impressed with the quality
      and attention to detail. All stitching is tight, even and straight with no
      loose or dropped threads. All zippers work flawlessly and with ease and
      sport flexible plastic zipper pulls. I can find no imperfections in the
      manufacturing of the jacket. And now that my "inspection" is complete, I
      can't wait to wear the Obermeyer Kennedy jacket. Where ARE my snowshoes?

      SUMMARY

      Stylish, good-fit and technical features galore! What's not to like about
      the Obermeyer Kennedy jacket? Additionally so far, I really like the
      numerous pockets and can't wait to see how well the Control Zone Ventilation
      system works.

      Winter is my favorite time of year for outdoor activities and I am extra
      excited about this coming season thanks to the Obermeyer Kennedy jacket. I
      expect to give it a good workout hiking, backpacking and snowshoeing in both
      Michigan and Colorado with a bit of Utah, maybe Nevada or Wyoming, thrown
      in!

      Please bookmark this page and return in early January 2011 to see where my
      jacket and I have played and how it's going.

      Thank you to and Sport Obermeyer for the opportunity to try out the Kennedy.

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters

      This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version
      1.5 Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
    • Jamie Lawrence
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2010
        Hi Kathy,

        Wow, that sounds like a fantastic jacket! I can't wait to see your field
        report.

        1 small comment. My spell check picks up a heap of words that it wants as
        2 words not 1 (rain fly, draw cord, powder skirt ect..) I assume this is
        just a regional thing.

        Upload away!

        Jamie

      • Kathy Waters
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 10, 2010
          Jamie,

          Thanks! Yeah, a regional thing - we Yanks do weird things <g>1 Anyway, I've uploaded and deleted the test file. I am definitely excited about this jacket and have it waiting to board the plane for Michigan. We had our first snowfall last night here in Denver and I know it's going to be miserable in Michigan. Can't wait to get out!