FOLLOW-UP REPORT - Tarptent Sublite - Pam

  • pamwyant
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2010
      Follow-up Report - November 6, 2010

      HTML here:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Sublite%20Follow-up%20Report%20-%20Pam/

      OR: http://tinyurl.com/26gcua9

      Photo - October camping

      The last weekend of October I used the Tarptent Sublite in a car-camping type setting. I set up the Sublite around 6 pm, on soil that was rocky underneath and covered with a thick layer of grass. The stakes were a little hard to get in the ground using foot power, and I later found I had bent two of the stakes in the process. I also had a bit of trouble getting the trekking poles to stay in the pole pockets at ground level. I finally solved this by shortening the poles a bit, sliding the pockets over the handles, and then extending the poles out. As before, I noted that the top of the Sublite sagged inward a good bit, and I could not get the upper portion taut even by extending the poles. I'm not sure if it's feasible to add a couple of strips of hook and loop tape to the upper portion of the tent, in the event that might create a place for water to penetrate the interior, but it seems something along that line would help keep the top from sagging inward.

      Photo - Frosty footbox

      By 7 pm was noticing droplets of condensation already forming on the vestibule door, even though I had not yet been inside the tent other than to spread out my pad and sleeping bag. The moisture was apparently rising from the grass and earth as the air cooled. The temperature dropped to about freezing overnight, but having brought a warm 0 F (-18 C) sleeping bag, I slept with the vestibule wall tied back for ventilation and the mesh door zipped closed. In the morning both the interior and exterior of the Sublite were lightly frosted, with several droplets of water on the interior near my head and chest. I actually liked the Sublite better in the colder weather, as I could simply brush the frost off without my gear soaking up moisture, and even with the vestibule door open it was nice and warm inside.
      Final Conclusion:
      The Tarptent Sublite provides good floor space (including a very nice vestibule) for the weight, however, the condensation issues in the humid climate I camp in prevent it from being a tent I am interested in using in the future. I also found set-up a bit fussy for my taste, and while the peak height allowed ample space for me to sit up (and then some), the sharply sloping walls limited bending over without brushing my head and shoulders against the ceiling. I will be passing the Sublite along to a friend in a drier climate.

      Thanks to Tarptent and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test the Sublite Sil.
    • jerry adams
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2010
        I didn't see anything that needs changing

        Go ahead and upload/delete

        It's been good doing business with you : )