General Boot Test Question

  • Tim Earley
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2010
      Hey Everyone,
      I have a quick question regarding boot tests in general. Is the
      use of after-market insoles permitted? The reason I ask is I feel
      like the insoles in these boots are a potentially serious weak spot
      and would like to compare the boots with and without an after-market
      insole. In other words, I plan to test them as is but would like to
      then add the insole and compare the results. Could an authority
      please provide some guidance on this?

      Thanks in advance,
      Tim

    • Kathy Waters
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2010
        Tim,

        Good question. Unless you are having serious problems with the footwear,
        test it without after market insoles, at least through the field report.
        Obviously, BGT does not ask testers to suffer or injure themselve in the
        name of testing, however adding insoles definitely alters the product being
        tested which is contrary to the objective of testing a product.

        If you wear the footwear through 12 weeks of testing and want to try out
        insoles for comparison, a hike or two should suffice.

        Is that clear?

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2010
          Kathy,
          OK great, thanks for the guidance. Perfectly clear!

          Tim

          On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Kathy Waters <kathy@...>wrote:

          > Tim,
          >
          > Good question. Unless you are having serious problems with the footwear,
          > test it without after market insoles, at least through the field report.
          > Obviously, BGT does not ask testers to suffer or injure themselve in the
          > name of testing, however adding insoles definitely alters the product being
          >
          > tested which is contrary to the objective of testing a product.
          >
          > If you wear the footwear through 12 weeks of testing and want to try out
          > insoles for comparison, a hike or two should suffice.
          >
          > Is that clear?
          >
          > Kathy

        • Edward
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2010
            Hi Nancy,

            No edits, so please upload at your convenience.

            Best,

            Ted

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2010
> [...]

              > then the waterproofness deteriorated and my feet were soaked on some rainy
              > hikes.  We'll see how these boots hold up over the test period.
              > They are somewhat different than what is advertised on the website which can be
              > seen in the webbing, styling and in the different sole.  See my photos versus
              > the website photo.
              >
              > SUMMARY
              >
              > The Tecnica Cyclone II Mid GTX Hiking Boots seem to be solidly built, rugged,
              > stylish, and light weight hiking boots.
              > Likes so far:
              > Waterproof
              > Stylish
              > Well-constructed
              > Concerns so far:
              > Light color showing dirt easily
              > This concludes my Initial Report.  Check back in two months for my Field
              > Report.  Thanks to Tecnica and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to

            • Nancy Griffith
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 14, 2010
                Hi Ted,

                Thanks for reviewing my IR.  I've uploaded it and deleted the test file.

                See you in a few months.

                Nancy