IR - BD - Orbit Lantern 2010 - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2010
      Jennifer,

      Here is my IR for the Black Diamond Orbit Lantern. I'm messing around
      with the HTML, pushing BGT a little. I have a question for the mods
      about allowing background image properties in CSS; it would make my
      life a lot easier, and I don't see many people abusing that power.

      Here is the link to the HTML:

      > http://goo.gl/1ZLCe

      I look forward to your edits.

      Best,

      ~derek

      # # #

      Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd.
      Orbit 2010
      Collapsible Lantern
      Test Series by Derek Hansen

      * Initial Report: 2 Nov 2010
      * Field Report:
      * Long-Term Report:

      TESTER INFORMATION
      Me
      Name Derek Hansen
      Age 34
      Gender Male
      Height 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email Address derek.daught.hansen.at.mac (without cheese).dot.kahm
      City, State, Country Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical weekend pack weight of 15
      lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg), which includes food
      and water. Because I pack less than 20 lb (9 kg), I prefer lightweight
      trail-running shoes. I prefer backpacking with a hammock as part of my
      sleep system.
      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      Manufacturer Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd. (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA)
      Year of Manufacture 2010, made in China
      Manufacturer's Website bdel.com
      MSRP US$29.95
      Listed Dimensions Compactible to 102 mm (4 in); extended height is
      140 mm (5.5 in)
      Measured Dimensions Top Diameter: 2.125 in (5.4 cm); Bottom Diameter:
      1.75 in (4.4 cm); Height Collapsed: 4 in (10 cm); Height Extended: 5.5
      in (14 cm)
      Color Dark Chocolate, Lava, Lime Green
      Listed Weight 3 oz (85 g) without batteries
      Measured Weight 2.95 oz (84 g) without batteries; 4.55 oz (129 g)
      with alkaline batteries
      Listed Features

      "DoublePower LED with 45 lumens (max setting) enclosed inside a
      frosted globe produces bright, non-glaring light
      Dual reflector system captures and maximizes light output
      Power meter displays charge status or battery level for rechargeable
      NRG2 Rechargeable Battery Kit (sold separately) or 4 AAA alkalines
      Unique dimming switch provides adjustable brightness
      Compactible to 102 mm (4 in); extended height is 140 mm (5.5 in)
      Collapsible, double-hook hang loop"
      Warranty

      Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd. offers a three year limited warranty to
      the original buyer for defects in manufacturing and materials on
      lighting products. Products will be repaired or replaced at the
      company's discretion.
      Care and Use Stormproof, do not submerge, max temperature 140 F (60 C)

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
      Lantern hooks

      The Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd. Orbit lantern (hereafter Orbit or
      lantern) is one in a line of three lanterns offered by Black Diamond
      and the one specifically targeted at "ounce-conscious backpackers,
      climbers and travelers".

      The lantern collapses to 4 in (102 mm) for storage and expands to 5.5
      in (140 mm) when in use, with hooks/clips folded down (the hooks add
      another 5/8 in (1.6 cm) to the height). The globe is frosted but has a
      smooth, soft feel. The Orbit boasts a 45-lumen light using a
      DoublePower LED, producing a non-glaring light. There are reflectors
      on the top and bottom that help maximize light output, and the multi-
      function button can dim the light to different settings for adjustable
      brightness and battery conservation.

      On the top of the lantern are two fold-down metal "hooks" that provide
      an attach point for the Orbit to hang it from the inside of a shelter,
      for example. On the bottom of the lantern are three fixed rubberized
      "legs".

      This lower "leg" portion of the lantern unscrews, revealing a battery
      pack that takes four (4) AAA batteries. Black Diamond recommends using
      "alkaline or lithium batteries, or the Black Diamond NRG2 Rechargeable
      Battery Kit (sold separately)".
      Expanded

      The DoublePower LED light is stated to have a maximum 45 lumens and a
      minimum 10 lumens. On the max setting, the battery life is stated at
      15 hours. On low, battery life should extend to 24 hours. The maximum
      illumination is 4 m (13 ft), and the minimum is 2 m (6.5 ft).
      Collapsed

      There is a small depression that extends the full length of the lower
      portion of the lantern body where the button is located. The button
      functions as a simple on/off switch, but when held, it dims the LED.
      The LED will dim to a point and then "blink" when the lower or upper
      limits of the LED have been reached.
      All the pieces of the lantern

      The included battery case has been expertly engineered to include
      clips for each battery. Both battery terminals are located at the top
      of the case. The battery case must be inserted with the terminals "up"
      for the lantern to work correctly, but the case can be inserted upside
      down, preventing the batteries from accidental drain.

      The website describes one of the colors as "Dark Chocolate" and the
      lantern I received has no brown color, in contrast to the photo off
      the website. I would describe the color as dark grey.
      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The folks at Black Diamond have done a great job engineering this
      simple yet effective little lantern. For example, the lantern is
      bottom heavy, helping stabilize the lantern without adding fold-out
      legs; the depression around the switch is helpful in locating the
      button when visibility is low (on my lantern, the orange button
      contrasts nicely with the dark grey plastic); the fold-out clips or
      hooks on the top make it easy to attach the lantern to an overhead
      line or branch; the location of the reflectors in the globe keeps the
      glare down (I have to tip the lantern to the side to actually get a
      full beam of light in my eye).

      I have to say, I really like the reflector system and frosted globe in
      how it reflects the light out and down. It seems no light is lost in
      odd, useless directions.

      The Orbit has some sort of clipping mechanism that keeps the lantern
      open and closed. On close inspection, it is clear that there is a
      small groove around the bottom and top of the lower portion of the
      lantern. In the bottom ring in the top globe, there are small plastic
      bumps that clip into these grooves. The lower portion of the top globe
      is made of a flexible rubber material that can flex to allow the bumps
      to get into position. I am sure Black Diamond has a more technical
      explanation. This is definitely something to feel rather than read
      about.

      I discovered the dimming quite by accident by simply holding down the
      switch. The process works very easily and intuitively. The bright
      DoublePower LED worked great to illuminate my living room and I can't
      wait to take this out in the field. With minimal daylight hours this
      time of year, I know I will be using the Orbit a lot to light up my
      campsites.

      One thing I may look into is the rechargeable battery system that is
      sold by Black Diamond specifically for the Orbit. Knowing the expected
      battery life is about 10 hours (on the max setting), I can see myself
      replacing batteries quite often. Having a rechargeable station would
      be nice.

      PRO--Compactible, lightweight, bright light.

      CON--None yet.

      FIELD REPORT

      Please check back in approximately 2 months for my field report.

      I would like to thank Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd. and
      BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test
      this product.