REPOST - IR - OR W Radiant LT Zip Top - Kristine Mar

  • kmar546
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2010
      Ralph,

      I've made the recommended edits to the report and look forward to your review. The html version of the file can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/252bl7l

      Test Series by Kristine Mar
      Initial Report - October 29, 2010
      Field Report - December, 2010
      Long Term Report - February, 2011

      Biographical Information:

      Name: Kristine Mar
      Age: 45
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'3" (1.6 m)
      Weight: 120 Pounds (54 kg)
      Email address: kmar546ATyahooDOTcom
      City, State, Country: New York, New York, U.S.A.

      Backpacking Background:

      My love for the outdoors began about ten years ago, while I was living in Northern California. Most of my hiking experience includes day hikes with an occasional 2-3 day backpacking trip. I'd consider myself an all season hiker and generally like to keep my pack as light as reasonably possible. I am currently living in New York City. I've hiked in various parks in several states and countries and enjoy hiking in various terrains, but prefer mountainous terrain for the vistas and views, and enjoy forest/river hikes for the scenery.

      Initial Report - October 29, 2010

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
      Year of Manufacture/received: 2010
      Manufacturer Website: http://www.outdoorresearch.com
      Colors Available: Espresso, Salsa, Berry, Peacock, Black
      Sizes Available: XS, S, M, L, XL
      Sizing Chart (Courtesy of Outdoor Research):

      <IMAGE SIZING CHART>

      Product Tested: Size XS - Berry
      Manufacturer's Average Weight: 8.5 oz / 240 g (size: M)
      Measured Actual Weight: 7.6 oz / 215 g (size: XS)
      MSRP: US$70.00

      Product Description:

      The manufacturer's website as well as the label attached to the shirt describes the product to be designed with their new: Radiant LT Fleece™. The label is both in English and French and advertises the Radiant Collection as a product which provides full-body thermal insulation for the most extreme conditions. The fabric is made of a highly breathable grid fleece with the fabric strategically placed to provide maximum warmth and breathability to exposed places where it is needed most. The technical features of the fabric allow for minimizing bulk thereby allowing maximum comfort and ease of movement, while at the same time pulling moisture from the skin.

      The wicking zip top is ideal for either a second layer or base layer. The shirt has a trim fit but seems to fit me slightly looser on the under arms perhaps to allow greater ventilation. The zipper which runs from the neck to the chest can also be unzipped to regulate body temperature and allow for further cooling when necessary. On colder days or when my movement slows down, I would expect the Radiant LT Zip Tip™ to offer me a light insulating layer of warmth without being too much.

      <IMAGE 1: Courtesy of Outdoor Research>

      Other features of the product as stated on the website include:
      - Radiant LT Fleece™
      - ¼ length front zipper
      - Flatlock, and wrap-around stitching
      - Thumb loops on cuffs
      - Lycra® binding on thumb loops and cuffs

      The product is made from 95% polyester and 5% spandex and the care instructions are listed as follows:
      - Machine wash cold separately, rinse thoroughly
      - Do not bleach
      - Do not use fabric softener
      - Tumble dry low or line dry in shade
      - Do not iron
      - Do not dry clean

      The web page also states that Outdoor Research offers an Infinite Guarantee.

      Initial Impressions:

      I received the Outdoor Research Radiant LT Zip Top in a size S as requested, but the fit was a little loose, so I called the customer service center in Seattle, Washington to see if I could exchange it for an XS. The service was excellent with the representative agreeing to ship out the size XS the next day without waiting for me to return the size S. I received it approximately six days after contacting their office, and the XS was a much better fit.

      My initial impression of the LT Zip Top was that the product is well made. The seams are sewn together well, with no signs of fraying at the edges or loose threads. The fabric has a dense, waffle like feel, but at the same time is extremely soft against my skin. The top is lightweight and it feels as though it is dense enough to block wind and keep me warm, which is perfect for my outdoor pursuits either as a base layer on cold days, or as a second layer, especially when fall hiking. I ordered the top in the berry color, which I find is very attractive. The color is a deep magenta, with more purplish than pink tones. The sleeves also contained thumb holes which is an added convenience, especially on colder days, or if I am wearing the shirt as a base layer to prevent the sleeves from bunching up. The zipper allows for regulation of my temperature, and so far, seems to pull open and close smoothly without sticking or catching on the fabric.

      So far, I like the weight of the fabric, the color, the flattering fit, and the soft feel of the fleece on my skin. In the coming months, I will test this product both as a base layer and second layer and determine if it wicks moisture and keeps me warm without be too heavy or light as advertised. I will also determine if the material is breathable and determine if the fabric holds up after numerous washings. I will also comment on other features including the thumb holes in the sleeves and whether or not the zipper continues to work smoothly throughout the testing phase.

      This concludes my initial report on the Outdoor Research Radiant LT Zip Top. I would like to thank Outdoor Research and Backpackgeartest.org for allowing me the opportunity to test this top. Please follow up for the results of my field tests in two months.
    • Ralph Ditton
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2010
        Hello Kristine,

        Thank you for the amended version.

        Normally you do not have to repost an article for further edits on test
        items, unlike the Owner Review process when you first start out.

        The print (font) size is good.

        Delete the test copy and upload.

        No further edits.

        Look forward to your future reports.