Application: Tecnica Cyclone Boots- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3 6:43 PM
      Please consider my application to test the Tecnica Cyclone Mid GTX boots.  I
      have read the BackpackGearTest.org By-Laws (v. 0609) particularly Chapters 4, 5
      and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements. My signed Tester
      Agreement is on file.

      Tester information:
      · Nancy Griffith
      · 44
      · Female
      · 5’6” (1.68 m)
      · 130 lb (59 kg)
      · bkpkrgirlATyahooDOT com
      · Northern California, USA

      Boot Size: I typically wear a 9 US, but I have to wear thin socks and no special
      insoles in order to fit.  A larger size (9.5) would allow me to wear thicker
      socks (perfect for fall/winter temperatures).  I'm testing the DTV socks which
      are thick (for me) and should complement this test.

      Backpacking background:
      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local
      canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails. The culmination was a 10-day canoe

      voyage through the Quebec wilds. I've been backpacking since my college days in
      Pennsylvania, then for years in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and now
      mostly in the Sierra Nevada of California. Most of my trips are section hikes or
      loops from a few days to a week. I carry a mid-weight load, use a tent and
      hiking poles.
      Test plan or strategy:
      I just completed a 100 mile backpacking trip at Mount Rainier and learned that
      my E-vent lined boots are no longer waterproof...can you say sponges.  I would
      love to try out a mid-height lightweight pair of Gore-tex boots and see if they
      fare any better.  The Cyclone claims to be 420 grams which I'm assuming means
      EACH boot or else these are incredibly lightweight.  I'm interested to see just
      how tough these boots are while still being light.  How well do the soles grip
      in wet conditions? on snow?  Do they accommodate gaiters?

      Test Conditions:
      On average we backpack one trip per month.  I also day hike and/or snowshoe 1-2
      times per month.  Winter means rain in Northern California, so these boots
      should see some serious water...it's a La Nina year again, so we're hoping for a
      wet winter.  I'd also like to try them for snowshoeing/snow camping and see how
      well the insulation does.  I'm sure I owned a pair of Tecnica ski boots so they
      know how to insulate, but the website doesn't mention how warm they are.

      Backpacking/Hiking/Snowshoeing: Sierra Nevada, 1,000 to 8,000 ft (300 – 2,400
      m); 30 to 80 F (0 to 27 C).
      I have written 17 OR's (5 this year) and completed 24 test series.
      My reviews can be viewed at:

      My current tests are:
      Julbo Sunglasses (FR due 10/5...just posted)
      Sunday Afternoons Sun Tripper Cap (FR due 11/9)
      Darn Tough Vermont Poppy Gall Socks (IR posted for editing)

      I have no other apps pending.

      Labors of Love: Test Call Manager, Monitor
      Thank you for considering my application.