FR- Julbo Contest Sunglasses- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
      Hi AB,

      I've posted my FR to the test folder.  Here's the link and text below.

      Thanks in advance for checking it out.

      Nancy

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR-%20Julbo%20Contest%20Sunglasses%20-%20Nancy%20Griffith/

      http://tinyurl.com/2b6qjuj

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">>I wore the sunglasses during the Field
      Testing period nearly every day.  I wore them for two overnighter backpacking
      trips, one 3-day and one 11-day backpacking trip, 4 day hikes, 3 mountain bike
      rides and one boat camping trip for a total of 28 days.  I also wore them for
      daily use such as driving to and from work, walks and just general around town
      use.
      My backpacking and hiking trips are as follows:
      Backpacking:
      Mumford Bar Trail, Sierra Nevada, California; 2 days; 13 mi (21 km); 2,640 to
      5,360 ft (805 to 1634 m) elevation; 53 to 90 F (12 to 32 C); sunny skies; The
      trail was forested but some areas were burned from forest fires leaving it
      bright and open.
      Desolation Wilderness, Sierra Nevada, California; 3 days; 19.5 mi (31.4 km);
      6,560 to 8,220 ft (2,000 to 2,505 m) elevation; 40 to 80 F (4 to 27 C); sunny
      skies; The trail varied from heavily wooded and shady to above the treeline.
      Desolation Wilderness, Sierra Nevada, California; 2 days; 12.6 mi (20.3 km);
      6,560 to 8,220 ft (2,000 to 2,505 m) elevation; 48 to 80 F (9 to 27 C); sunny
      skies; The trail varied from heavily wooded and shady to above the treeline.
      This was the same area as above only a shorter version.
      Wonderland Trail, Mount Rainier National Park, Washington: 100 mi (161 km);
      2,600 to 7,200 ft (792 to 2,195 m) elevation; 32 to 62 F (0 to 17 C).  Weather
      conditions went from bright sun glare off of snow fields to torrential
      downpours.  Trail conditions varied from deep dark forest to snow field
      crossings above the tree line.
      Day Hiking:
      Bake Oven Trail, Sierra Nevada, California; 10 mi (16 km); 1,630 to 3,520 ft
      (497 to 1,073 m); 65 to 80 F (18 to 27 C); clear to partly cloudy conditions;
      The trail was forested with some open view sections.
      Rockbound Lake, Desolation Wilderness, Sierra Nevada, California: 9 mi (14.5
      km); 6,200 to 6,900 ft (1,890 to 2,103 m) elevation; 60 to 75 F (16 to 24 C);
      sunny skies; The trail was mostly open with some lightly shaded areas.
      Forni Lake, Desolation Wilderness, Sierra Nevada, California: 10 mi (16.1 km);
      6,600 to 7,100 ft (2,012 to 2,164 m) elevation; 70 to 80 F (21 to 27 C); The
      conditions varied from heavily wooded to bright sun glare off of snow fields and
      the lake.
      Forni Lake...again, Desolation Wilderness, Sierra Nevada, California: 10 mi
      (16.1 km); 6,600 to 7,100 ft (2,012 to 2,164 m) elevation; 70 to 85 F (21 to 29
      C); The conditions were similar to above but without the snow fields.
      Boat Camping:
      Loon Lake, Sierra Nevada, California; 4 days; 6,200 ft (1,890 m); 50 to 75 F (10
      to 24 C).  Conditions varied from bright sun on the lake (fishing from the boat)
      to shady in camp.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>The sunglasses have performed very
      well.  I'm still not used to the lighter lenses although I have no problem with
      them blocking the light.  I don't squint any more than with any other of my
      sunglasses.  I found the lighter lens to be quite useful in low light
      conditions.  I particularly appreciate this while mountain biking where the
      light changes so quickly from bright sun to deep shade while I prefer to leave
      my sunglasses on the entire time to protect my eyes.  On one particular day of
      backpacking at Mount Rainier, I wore them all day in varying light conditions.
      By the time we got to camp some fog was rolling down from the summit and getting
      a bit dark for 3pm.  However, I totally forgot that I had the sunglasses on
      until I knocked them off while in the tent changing into some warmer clothes.
      On one day of backpacking in Mount Rainier, it rained for 20 hours straight
      during which we hiked for 8 hours.  I wore the sunglasses on top of my hat with
      my rain jacket hood over top.  They stayed put all day and when I pulled them
      off to store them in the tent overnight they weren't fogged up.  I never noticed
      any problems with the lenses fogging.
      All of my day hiking and backpacking trips in California also included fishing.
      The sunglasses did a great job in cutting the glare off the water and allowing
      me to see the fish below the surface.
      Despite the instructions saying they are not suitable for driving, I wore them
      for driving nearly every day to and from work.  They performed just fine.  I
      didn't notice any problem when transitioning from a bright sunny area to a shady
      one.  I didn't ever wear them in any tunnels however.
      The arms still bother my ears due to the width of the glasses being slightly too
      large for my head.  The rubbery yellow material on the arms did well to hold the
      glasses on and did not catch and pull my hair.  My husband borrowed them one day
      when he forgot his sunglasses.  They fit his face very well.  He even was
      complimented on how cool they were.  The bright yellow accents have grown on me.
      I used the case at first but have rarely used it since.  It just isn't practical
      for me to try to carry around such a large case.  In the car I store the glasses
      on a visor hanger.  On the trail I store them on my head or on my shirt front.
      While backpacking I kept them in the tent pocket overnight.  I try to be careful
      not to scratch them and am not particularly rough on sunglasses, but I'm not
      overly concerned with it.  Despite my lack of effort, there are no noticeable
      scratches on the lenses.
      There have been no durability issues at all.  The sunglasses still look nearly
      new.

      SUMMARY

      The Julbo Contest sunglasses are a very functional set of lenses with a neat
      feature of changing with the light conditions.
      Likes:
      Light-sensitive lenses
      Excellent vision and clarity
      Reduces glare
      Dislikes:
      Ear irritation
      This concludes my Field Report.  Check back in two months for my Long-Term
      Report.  Thanks to Julbo and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to participate
      in this test.

      Copyright 2010.  All rights reserved.

    • Andrew Buskov
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2010
        Nancy,

        Here are your edits, just one suggestion. Let me know if you have any questions.

        AB

        > By the time we got to camp some fog was rolling down from the summit and getting
        > a bit dark for 3pm.  However, I totally forgot that I had the sunglasses on
        Edit: Suggest "and it was getting a bit"
      • Andrew Buskov
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2010
          Nancy,

          One other... you need to put the date at the top of your Field report section as well.

          Thanks!
          AB

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2010
            Hi AB,

            I'm using the Report Writer and it puts the dates at the top (as links)
            automatically.  Are you asking that I add another date in the Field Report area
            as well?  I haven't done this on other reports, but I certainly can.  Well, I'll
            have to play around with how to do it so it shows up right but in theory I can
            ;-).

            Thanks!

            Nancy
            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 8, 2010
              Well... yes. I remember someone mentioning this to me as well during one of my edits,
              but I can't remember who or what test series honestly. As per the survival guide, it
              is a requirement though.

              AB

              > Hi AB,
              >
              > I'm using the Report Writer and it puts the dates at the top (as links)
              > automatically.  Are you asking that I add another date in the Field Report area
              > as well?  I haven't done this on other reports, but I certainly can.  Well, I'll
              > have to play around with how to do it so it shows up right but in theory I can
              > ;-).
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Nancy
              > ________________________________

            • Nancy Griffith
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 9, 2010
                Hi AB,

                Thanks for the edits.  I've made the changes and uploaded to the folder (and
                deleted the test file).

                Based on Kathy's input, I didn't add the date.  I do remember doing that before
                the new report writer came out.

                See you again in a few months.

                Nancy